What line did this head come from?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collector47

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Over the past year I've seen this head pop up on auction sites and on a few customs. To me, it looks like a soft impression of John Wayne which is where those who have customized their figures have taken this. But I have not been able to link this back to any stock item in the marketplace, (present or past). Anyone have any ideas? The sculpt styling and paint apps looks strongly reminiscent of the Dog Soldiers figures that were put out back in the early 00's. But in examining their product I can't find a single figure that had this head. It also has a touch of Hasbro in it's look, but there are no markings on the head anywhere. It's made from the same kind of material as those heads as well so I believe it's mass produced and not a custom in circulation. I see enough of them to know there are more than a few out there. I was looking for different John Wayne heads when I came across this, so I have no idea how long it's been out there. Any assistance would be appreciated.

John Wayne head.jpg

Riddle cracked. This indeed was a product from the Dog Soldiers figure line. The reason why no one has ever seen the head on a body as an official figure is because he wasn't sold as one. Dog Soldiers also sold parts including separate heads. They sold one for Custer and one called "The Veteran" which is this one. So that was how they tried to get around the copyright issues by doing a soft likeness of John Wayne as a head only, but labeling him something else. Same principle used in the Mego community today for those who sell custom parts. They might have a Batman cowl for sale, they just can't call it a Batman cowl if they are not under license to sell those products.

Back