What is exciting right now in 1/6?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could see the wrist being an issue, but I can't see anyone cranking the neck so much that it'd tear the silicon or whatever it's made out of like an elbow joint may.

I thought the Flash Gordon Pieces were pretty cool, also Princess Bride from QMX (hopefully more to come)
I would love someone to pick up 5th Element licence, maybe Blitzway. Would love the characters from that film.

This hobby honestly has gotten boring as of late with the saturation of Marvel and Star Wars figures coming from Hot Toys. I use to look forward to the next Hot Toys release but not so much anymore because I know it will more than likely be another Marvel/Star Wars character. They have several licenses that are just sitting around collecting dust. It is a bit refreshing however seeing companies like Blitzway coming out with a variety of new faces even though some seem like odd choices. Trying to be optimistic about what will surface at SDCC this year.

I’ll be honest im getting bored with Hot Toys and Neca. I have DX MAUL on preorder and look forward to receiving but I’m not edge of my seat in atticipation. NECA.....well I have noticed I have past on six figures now which would have been on my “Must Have” in past years. I just don’t feel like spending $42 + 12% tax for a single figure. And then on YouTube flipping through my subs and come across this.....

What is this? Who’s the company? What have they produced?? And that feeling of first discovering a new company spawns excitement once again. I went ahead and made a purchase off of eBay. Have not yet received. Now I’m back to edge of my seat anticipation!!!

The Three Kingdoms stuff is pretty cool. Many characters to choose from and enough companies tackling them to cater to any stylistic preference.

That's about all I can say at this point. Hot Toys may as well be a sister shop to the Disney Store, so as far as my favorite licenses go (Alien and Predator), Prime 1 is getting most of my attention. But they're not 1/6 and at the prices they fetch, I wouldn't be able to go nearly as nuts with their offerings as I would with HT.

All in all it's an interesting time. A lot of innovation, reevaluation, and long stretches of not buying anything* punctuated by single, pricier-than-usual purchases.

*Marvel Legends don't count. :lol

We actually live in a golden Age of action figures! You can get nearly any character you can think of. Sure not all are HT quality but many are good enough. The biggest problem is what is personally exciting or a good theme?
Lets take Indina Jones, always a favourite of mine. I still haven't purchased him and I don't know why...maybe because he is a single figure and no other figures from the Indiana Jones movie are interesting to me. Sure you can still make a "my favourite characters" collection with Indy, Terminator, Neo, Bond and so on..

Single figures can be nice, but I think the best way to have fun at this hobby is finding a theme you resonate with.
Childhood Heroes, Enemies, Ancient warriors, Computer Game chars etc.

At best make it wide enough so you can add characters from different manufacturers

Third party is definitely more exciting. The lack if excitement outside of HT for me is cause by the lack of releases. What has Blitzway put up for preorder since last SDCC? Just the Cutthroat Island figure? I mean that's all they can do in a year? Hell even Sideshow, they're at like a 4 release a year pace right now.

After HT who releases the most figures based on licenses (not just military or samurais)? I could be totally blanking on another company but I wanna bet it's Toys Era.

What would be really exciting is Bruce Lee, Shaw Brothers Kung Fu, Kill Bill at Hot Toys quality, Keaton and Kilmer Bats or armoured Star Wars characters that were actually screen-accurate.

Since that's not happening, my current excitement is reserved for the PS4 VGM Spider-Man releases. I'm biased since that's a character I've been a fan of longer than Star Wars, and more to the point I'm so far very impressed with the execution on the VGM Spideys.

Yeah...I agree with everyone that says that there really hasn't been any marked improvement in the 1/6 market in quite a long time. I have HT figures in my display from Avengers 1 standing alongside ones released within the last six months. Yeah, if you look really closely, you might see changes, but generally speaking, there hasn't been anything groundbreaking in quite a while.

If Ko Jun's technique becomes mainstream, that would be exciting.

Asmus' Gandalf is pretty damn exciting too...if they can pull it off. That would be a pretty big step toward better hair on figures - and a PERS-type system that can be used on anything. HT never really succeeded in pulling that off.

Nanjin's Trek plans - IF he's able to pull them off - are pretty exciting as well, if you're a Trekkie. The idea of a modular body is a pretty ingenious idea. Can't wait to see it in action. There really hasn't been any new innovation in bodies since, what, Phicen? Sure, there was that John Lennon debacle, but we all know how that went.

Otherwise, yeah...while I'm happy to get the next figure in my collection, I'm not wowed the way I used to be, generally speaking.

Asmus' Gandalf is pretty damn exciting too...if they can pull it off. That would be a pretty big step toward better hair on figures - and a PERS-type system that can be used on anything. HT never really succeeded in pulling that off.

:lecture Asmus offering the head sculpt as an 'upgrade' purchase for those who already have the first version will buy them a lot of goodwill too.

DiD's 1/6 50th Anniversary moon landing figs are apparently still on the cards.

Blitzway's Jimi Hendrix

:lecture Asmus offering the head sculpt as an 'upgrade' purchase for those who already have the first version will buy them a lot of goodwill too.

DiD's 1/6 50th Anniversary moon landing figs are apparently still on the cards.

Two good points. Hopefully DiD's astronaut line will continue from the Apollo 11 figures to Mercury, Gemini and Space Shuttle suits.

I want to learn more. Where do I click?

starship-troopers-wyltkm.jpg

Back