What if Weta release more 1/6 LOTR, Do you Still GEt 1/4 PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fubeca, Scott my friend you will convert to "dolls", you'll see and then.....

scottlovesdolls.jpg

Having never seen a PF model "in the flesh" I'm keeping an open mind :google :google

Roll on January, and the first announcements:joy

TC :angelsmil

Wait...

All I can say to you guys who say you don't like the Premium Format figures is wait until they come out and at least see one in person if at all possible! I own every 1/4 scale figure Sideshow has released so far, and there is a very good reason for that! These truely are "works of art" and could stand beside any piece in someone's collection! :peace

By the way, I do like the Premium Format figures, just wanted to put some defence in for those who equate them to dolls (In the collectable, ornate, porcelian sense of dolls, not 5 year old play things).
I am very much looking forward to the Premium Format Lord of the Rings line. I am hoping SS will bring out some more Premium Format lines that I am interested in, as I have no real love of any of the lines at the moment, not enough to invest $250 in anyway. Perhaps a Marvel Premium Format figure will take my fancy soon. I hope it does, as I would really like atleast one Premium Format.
I have seen the Van Helsing (Not impressed), Freddy (Impressed) and one of the Star Trek ones (Impressed) at a comic store in Melbourne, I'll see them again on Friday, so I'll come back here and post what I think of them after having a real good look.
Peace out Napoleon.

I will hold my opinion until I see a 1/4 scale SS LOTR in person. Have not
been impressed with the SW line except for Grievous and Obi which look very
good. The other sculpts by Andy, the human likeness' are middle of the road.

I for one am really looking forward to the Premium Format - it will be my first foray into this part of Sideshow's products. Am very much hoping the concentrate on figures with really intricate costumes. Hanging on the promise that the Elves will not be forgotten - give me that Prologue Elf or Gil-Gilad, or even as someone else suggested, Atomic Galadriel! Or Arwen in Coronation gown.

And then give me a Fountain Guard!

WOW

I didnt know my original post would lead to this massive thread....

Personally i love the WETA line.... the 1/6 scale is a good size and the products are very intricate. I have some star wars 1/4 scale and have vowed to complete this as i see the premium format as art rather than the plastic (toy like type) star wars....

I am sure if i bought the plastic ones my wife really would think im a kid... (does already lol)

I am looking forward to the premium format. Especially as i was sad the 1/6 line ended....

My oringinal question was if WETA continued there line and Sideshow had the 1/4 line which one would you choose if you only had one choice....

For me in that situation i would have to stay with WETA due to the vast amount of collection i have .....

i would have prefered the 1/6 line to continue at least until faromir and a few other key statues where made (insert sore subject or missing statue dialogue here)

As there is no more 1/6 th naturally i have interest in the 1/4 scale LOTR and if its only 1 - 3 a year maybe my wife will be ok with it also... lol

Michael

aurea23 said:
My oringinal question was if WETA continued there line and Sideshow had the 1/4 line which one would you choose if you only had one choice....

For me in that situation i would have to stay with WETA due to the vast amount of collection i have .....

i would have prefered the 1/6 line to continue at least until faromir and a few other key statues where made (insert sore subject or missing statue dialogue here)
But that would be the big question, wouldn't it? What if the WETA line did not include Faramir (or other perceived "missing" pieces), but rather focused on pieces that were of less interest to you? Would you still stick with them, just because they are WETA?

The WETA factor comes in to play when one is looking for something produced by the sculptors involved directly in the film.

The question should be:"If the piece is great in it's own right, does it really matter if WETA was involved in it?".

If the WETA connection is the deciding factor to not jump into a line then to each their own. I just don't agree with missing out on something good because of "no WETA". :rolleyes:

Fritz said:
Don't worry, once these start being release, Mr. Fell Beast will magically get a PF Sideshow "Doll" from his wife as a gift and then they'll be the greatest things ever. :rolleyes: :naughty It's not like that's never happened before. :D

:mwaha :mwaha :mwaha

Damn that's funny.

gabberjawa said:
I think the stigma comes from the fact that classically, artistic sculptures are fully sculpted. A solid form. And I do think myself that this is a form of art at the highest level. Taking a block of hard marble and ending up with something that can mimic the softeness of skin or the delicate folds of cloth is a source of constant amazement. The folds in the marble 'fabric' of Michelangelo's Pieta still astound me. Therefore 'solid sculptures' such as the Weta pieces relate more to this than the PF's, which as shown in this thread, people associate with a certain 'doll' quality due to the use of cloth and other materials.

Extremely well said. I saw the Pieta in person this summer (It's in St. Peter's Cathedral in the Vatican for those who don't know) and it blew me away more than any sculpture I've ever seen in real life outside of the David. Imagining THAT as a block of marble is beyond belief.

SolidLiquidFox said:
The question should be:"If the piece is great in it's own right, does it really matter if WETA was involved in it?".If the WETA connection is the deciding factor to not jump into a line then to each their own. I just don't agree with missing out on something good because of "no WETA". :rolleyes:

I also agree with this, and it's clearly evident that Weta will never be able to touch SS in the area of human likenesses.

larbob said:
The other sculpts by Andy, the human likeness' are middle of the road.

Name a better version of Luke or Han EVER sculpted. It blows my mind that people could knock the Han sculpt. :google There a few slight problems with it (Andy himself even admits this), but it's the best scaled Harrison likeness I've ever seen.

Last edited:
You compare the sculpt to the character in the movie...ie: does
it look like a still photo shot, Y or N? I am not stating there is anything
better or worse.

gabberjawa said:
I basically look at the PF's as statues(more or less) outfitted in cloth. They are missing one key factor I associate with "dolls", which is poseability (and the awful looking joints that come with them).

Wow, well put that is it, those cheap looking Barbie joints!!! ECH..........:sick

Ok they may be ok looking, but for $200+, good luck with the doll lineup:rolleyes: , erh should I say over priced puppets............:D :rolleyes:

Pssst, Hey SS quit trying to sell these things as it looks like the puppets will sell just fine, OK.............:peace

I just dont have faith in the PF's. I was very disappointed with Luke. The so called "museum quality" is off. I also had both Vampire Orloks which I thought were way off. I have wolverine which is nice but thats 1 of 3 and alot of money. The new pictures of Luke are up and in my opinion its alittle off. And I think for "museum quality" that can't be. I cant wait for Han, I have to see he will be as good as the photos.

But again Luke to me is just a sculpted head on a "doll" body. Nothing else is scuplted. The colthing cannot be that hard to make. It cannot be harder than sculpting the clothes like on the polystone. But this is my opinion thats all.

DOLL
https://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/jpg/7116_press04-001.jpg

Weta here !!! They were the ones that made all the stuff in the movies plus I don't like the mixed media stuff, looks like an action figure and not a statue.

WETA! Even though I can bet that Sideshow will wow us with the first LOTR 1/4. I had cooled a bit on the Marvel 1/4 until Dr. Doom came out, but he is mostly sculpted. Not that impressed with his cloak actually, looks like cheap material, but the sculpt of the chair and body is amazing. Digressing a bit.

The LOTR line really lends itself to the 1/4 format because the costumes really made a lot of the movie so breathtaking to look at. I'm looking forward to it, but statues are still my thing.

Mr Fell Beast said:
Wow, well put that is it, those cheap looking Barbie joints!!! ECH..........:sick

You have got to be confusing these with the 1/6 figures. The 1/4's do NOT have any "Barbie joints."

Back