What Horror movie would you show your girlfriend that HATES horror?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends. Are you wanting her to watch it with the intention that she maybe likes it and wants to see more or just to freak her out?

If the first then maybe something along the lines of:

Carrie. Female empathy, universal story of a downtrodden shy type having her day in the sun (before it all turns to s###e), nothing too shocking and an all time classic jump scare right at the end.

Something containing humour. Not Shaun Of The Dead though. That is out and out comedy, not really horror, and if she's not seen the Romero movies then the joke loses much of it's appeal. Something like Lost Boys maybe? Fright Night? Childs Play? Nice easy entry ways to getting her to watch more.

If she doesn't mind subtitles The Orphanage is a nice little ghost story with both horror and heart.

Then again you could just make her watch The Entity and be banned from bedroom duties for a few days.

Underworld. It's basically Romeo & Juliet with Vampires and Werewolves. It's not too scary, not overly gross, and it has a love story featuring two attractive people.

If she's against extreme violence, you could try something like The Changeling (with George C. Scott), or The Omen (the original), or for something more contemporary, The Woman In Black.

3f685f846913e537f14b694a5fc97f50.jpg

I'd try a horror comedy. Laughs are a great way to undermine an aversion to horror. Of course, none of those hard horror comedies with black humor (Return of the Living Dead, Re-Animator, etc.).

Maybe Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, The 'Burbs, or Young Frankenstein.

I agree, show her something that isn't just slash/gore. As someone mentioned, Zombies are easier to take as they are much more mainstream now. My GF is the same way, and I watched Creepshow with her (she really enjoyed it, actually), or John Carpenter's THING. She found the Orphanage far too scary. Anything with children is scary...

On a not trying to ruin your relationship note, how about a good psychological horror film? "The Haunting" 1963 version is very good. Based on the Shirley Jackson book and directed by Robert Wise. Also, the original Val Lewton "Cat People" is good and not soooo scary. "The Innocents" based on M.R. James "The Turn of the Screw" is also excellent. These are scary movies, but not "slashery" blood-fests.
The suggestions for "the Orphanage" and "Pan's Labyrinth" are also good, but if violence is an issue "Pan's" has a scene or two that might be deal breakers. If the problem with horror for your girl isn't so much scary as violent or "gooey", a good psychological scare could be the way to go.

I thought of one. "Burying The Ex" is a new one. It'll show what happens to girlfriends that dont like horror. :lol

I would start easy with something like The Lost Boys, not even a horror flick, but ladies love it.

Pet Semetary lol. I would always watch this as a kid and never got scared.

What about Gremlins. Got cute little Gizmo there :)

Back