What happened to Weta?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no interest in a Hobbit cooperation of Sideshow & Weta whatsoever. Just let Weta do their thing, it will be the bomb if they keep up their awesome work.

I think you'll find yourself alone there. I believe most of us are chomping at the bit for WETA to team with SS for the Hobbit. It would be awesome!

I see no incentive in that personally since the talent is clearly on Weta's side.

I don't want to open the tired can of worms that is Weta vs. Sideshow; but anyone who has the latest pieces from Weta will have to agree that their sculpts are a marked improvement (and even the later SSW pieces were) and the materials they are using are top-notch.

:clap

That said, I also appreciate Sideshow's efforts on LOTR.

I don't want to open the tired can of worms that is Weta vs. Sideshow; but anyone who has the latest pieces from Weta will have to agree that their sculpts are a marked improvement (and even the later SSW pieces were) and the materials they are using are top-notch.

:clap

That said, I also appreciate Sideshow's efforts on LOTR.

:lecture

Correct!

Agreed if it's Weta by themselves or teaming up with SS they are going to be quality either way.:cool:

I guess some of you guys must have missed some of SS's latest statues like the Aragorn and Moria Orc PF's, Eagle vs Fell Beast and Treachery of Saruman dio's. Not to mention the Indiana Jones, Anakin Skywalker and Hellboy 2 PF's. Yeah, clearly the talent is with Weta :rolleyes:

Not according to some people here. :naughty

What people where,who.:confused:

I think both companies have produced awesome grails but also had their share of misses but if someone leans towards either company fair enough i don't have a problem with that,no worries.:cool:

Have you been living in a cave somewhere or under a rock.? :rolleyes:

No, not exactly. Sideshow has contracts with some very talented people, no doubt about that. The Gore Group is pretty unmatched when it comes to charismatic creature designs, especially on their Marvel pieces. Andy Bergholtz,Trevor Grove and others did some remarkable likenesses too (even though it remains to be seen how well they can be reproduced on production pieces).
Unfortunately their LotR line didn't really benefit from that. It's not like most of the individual pieces are bad per se, but they appear pretty bland, not to say anemic. The concept for the Eagle vs. Fellbeast Diorama has been around since the Weta days, which speaks volumes given that it's one of the only pieces that truely delivers.

As for the "old" Sideshow/Weta days, all of the sculptors were from Weta studios. What exactly was Sideshow's duty in that deal, other than providing their superior marketing and distributional chain?
Me, I could do without Exclusives on Hobbit Statues.

There were instances, at the sculpting phase, were Sideshow helped out-- Boromir was one definite example. It's a moot point in any case; to say that either is lacking 'talent' would be way off the mark.

It's clear to see that "Sideshow/WETA" would not have succeeded on the level it did without the combined genius of both parties.

Going into The Hobbit, Sideshow remains unparalleled in marketing power and customer satisfaction. They are the biggest kid on the playground, and deservedly so.

Weta still has the exceptional 'talent' and from-the-filmmakers panache it always did.

As a collector I would love to see the partnership return. Somehow I don't see it coming true.

No, not exactly. Sideshow has contracts with some very talented people, no doubt about that. The Gore Group is pretty unmatched when it comes to charismatic creature designs, especially on their Marvel pieces. Andy Bergholtz,Trevor Grove and others did some remarkable likenesses too (even though it remains to be seen how well they can be reproduced on production pieces).
Unfortunately their LotR line didn't really benefit from that. It's not like most of the individual pieces are bad per se, but they appear pretty bland, not to say anemic. The concept for the Eagle vs. Fellbeast Diorama has been around since the Weta days, which speaks volumes given that it's one of the only pieces that truely delivers.

You are certainly correct when you mention some of the incredible sculptors SS is or has employed [ which is why I am confused about you comment about Weta having all the talent?] and I'll also make mention of a few more : Steve West, Pablo Viggiano, and Jeff Yagher.

Though I'm not sure how you come to your conclusion the SS LOTR lines have not benefitted from these sculptors. Both Andy and the Gore Group worked on the amazing Aragorn PF. Steve West sculpted the Lurtz PF as well as the Balrog, ML, and CT LSB's. It was Trevor Grove who did such an amazing job on the likenesses of both Frodo and Gollum in the Crack of Doom dio. Jeff Yagher sculpted both the Treachery of Saruman and Helm's Deep dio.'s, and the Legolas LSB. And Pablo Viggiano sculpted the Black Gates dio. and the incredible Moria Orc PF.

I would not personally use the word "bland" to describe any of these, with most of these, IMO, surpassing the quality of the Weta pieces of the same subject matter. I'm not saying Weta doesn't employ alot of really talented sculptors, because they do....I'm just saying that at this point in time the sculptors SS is using are better.

Let's face it, Weta is a New Zealand company that prides itself on employing the finest sculptors New Zealand has to offer....and without a doubt they have succeeded [ though I would make the arguement not so much when it came to human likenesses]. But SS is a much larger company, with a much larger stable of sculptors to draw upon...and they are employing the finest sculptors worldwide.

As for the "old" Sideshow/Weta days, all of the sculptors were from Weta studios. What exactly was Sideshow's duty in that deal, other than providing their superior marketing and distributional chain?
Me, I could do without Exclusives on Hobbit Statues.

You are correct, Weta provided the sculptors and SS was responsible for the production, distribution, and marketing of the products.

Personally, I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell that Weta and SS will combine forces for the upcoming Hobbit movie collectibles, as quite frankly, neither company needs the other anymore. Weta is capable of distributing and marketing their own products and SS no longer needs Weta's sculptors to produce their own lines of Hobbit collectibles.

I for one am so looking forward to seeing these two companies go "toe to toe" for "The Hobbit" though personally I think SS wins this war big time. Ultimately though in the end, the collectors will be the big winners, as I'm sure the sculptors from both companies [in the spirit of healthy competition and bragging rights] will be going all out for this one. :D

Without Sideshow, WETA will:
A. Price themselves out of the market. Most items they produced without SS go for considerably less than the retail they came up with. Most of the collab pieces go for more. Hmmm.
B. Shoot themselves in the foot with marketing. Who knows WETA other than the hardcores. SS name is more recognized.

The collaboration between SS and Weta was a mutually beneficial one for these 2 companies at a time when they both needed to expand their customer base and, especially in the case of Weta, get some well-deserved exposure. It was "lightning in a bottle"...all the stars were aligned....yada yada. As much as I admire and respect both companies with their customer reachouts, their stable of talent (no disrespect intended), and their overall superlative products, I also think rejoining of forces will be unlikely, no matter what I wish for.

Whether or not WETA and Sideshow team up for The Hobbit, the talents of the sculptors for either company has never been in question. We all know by now that the main issue with the final products has mainly been the paint apps., which in some cases lack the superior quality of the prototypes. We've seen this with both WETA and Sideshow LOTR items.

Whether or not WETA and Sideshow team up for The Hobbit, the talents of the sculptors for either company has never been in question. We all know by now that the main issue with the final products has mainly been the paint apps., which in some cases lack the superior quality of the prototypes. We've seen this with both WETA and Sideshow LOTR items.

:lecture :lecture :lecture

Back