what exactly is the point of flexpay?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone explain this to me.

For regular financing such as cars, furniture, tvs etc, you get the item FIRST then you pay it off over time which makes sense.

For sideshow flexpay, you do NOT get the item until the balance is fully paid. So what's the point of doing flexpay? why not just put the same amount of money into a piggy bank instead of giving it to sideshow to keep it for me?

Is it purely because people have absolutely no self control in money management and are unwilling to try save the money themselves?

:confused:

Yeah, I don't get it either. But hey, people seem to like it.

It works well for me due to the fact that I have a specific card for online purchases and intentionally set the max limit at $1000. So if this card is ever "compromised" it's less of a headache than if it happens to my primary card I use for travel and emergencies.

With this self-induced limit on the card AND Sideshow's habit of charging/shipping multiple items at once, it works out well for me. And it's much easier to pay off the lower sum each month with my poker winnings than it is paying off the full price for 3-4 statues at once and depleting my poker fund.

I like Flexpay. I dont use it that much. But its nice if your buying a few "High End" items. I probably got 3k on flexpay. I rather spread it out rather then have it hit my card all at once. If your buying 1 figure it may not be worth it. But its a nice option.

I think it is to Pay while you're flexing your muscles. I always flexed the bicep when I clicked FlexPay.....perhaps I'm wrong

Hey I'd love to have something similar in the UK, we do have pay half at time of order then other week before shipping at OSB. Spreading it out to 3+ payments would help me personnely a lot.

Its a great way to not pay the whole sum straight away. I know a lot collectors are millionaires that can afford $200 any time of the week but us poor folk need to spread the cost. Surprise releases do not help either.

Collectibles direct are in the UK and they do a flex pay :peace

for me flexpay is must option cause its easier to buy more items at a time even they r shipping in same month..... I will be using flexpay on Wolf Predator LSF ..........ohh im waiting for announcement :impatient:

I think its meant for people who don't have the funds right away but will in the future be able to purchase their collectibles. Like if a Hulk LSF went up right now, I would totally go flex pay on it. Its like so everyone can have a fair chance at getting a collectible rather than the high rollers I guess you could say. I certainly have reservations about spending 1k plus at a time.

Its also a good way to get those really exclusive items that sell out in the same day they are put up without having the money all at once.

I am not sure what's so confusing about it. Pretty simple concept.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the OP doesn't get either.

What exactly is the point of a mortage? Or a car loan? Hmmm... I wish I could figure out why people don't pay for those all at once. No concept of self control for saving I guess. :dunno

Can someone explain this to me.

For regular financing such as cars, furniture, tvs etc, you get the item FIRST then you pay it off over time which makes sense.

That's actually what I originally thought flexpay was. I tried it once, and as soon as I discovered that I wouldn't get the item (Gandalf PF) for several months I immediately called Sideshow and payed in full.

For sideshow flexpay, you do NOT get the item until the balance is fully paid. So what's the point of doing flexpay? why not just put the same amount of money into a piggy bank instead of giving it to sideshow to keep it for me?

Is it purely because people have absolutely no self control in money management and are unwilling to try save the money themselves?

Basically, that is what it is. However in their defense you don't always know what/when something is going to be announced/released, so it allows those with limited funds to pre-order something even if they can't pay in full right away. Which makes perfect sense.

Its easier to spend 200 dollars a month for five months then send a thousand all at once.you just feel better about the purchase.you don't second guess and say 1000 dollars is a lot of money,maybe I shouldn't spend it,but if its 200 its not that bad.

That was my thinking when I ordered the Gandalf PF with flexpay (again - before I knew it meant waiting longer for it), but in the end it's a silly way of rationalizing since you are spending the same amount either way. If you have the funds just pay in full.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the OP doesn't get either.

What exactly is the point of a mortage? Or a car loan? Hmmm... I wish I could figure out why people don't pay for those all at once. No concept of self control for saving I guess. :dunno

Like the OP said, with those you actually get the item right away. Big difference.

Like he said, with those you actually get the item right away. Big difference.

Not so big a difference when you see these products as money management instruments for the consumer. Sure, Flexpay is more like lay-away/lay-by than a mortgage or car loan, but at the end of the day it helps people manage their finances more effectively, which is almost the opposite of what the OP is suggesting when he suggests that it is for people with 'absolutely no self control in money management'.

Like I said:

Basically, that is what it is. However in their defense you don't always know what/when something is going to be announced/released, so it allows those with limited funds to pre-order something even if they can't pay in full right away. Which makes perfect sense.

So I get that. But with the exception of something that comes up very unexpectedly I do agree with the OP.

Hes saying if you flexpay or you preorder it you have a reserved spot either way, and since a Preorder isnt up front payment, you pay when it comes, it really doesnt make sense for flexpay.

Heres why. Lets say 3 months in you can't afford to pay your flexpay. They cancel it and you lose your place.

If you had preordered it, you can just take that money you were setting aside on your own and spend it and the only consequence is you have to set aside extra the next few months to make up for it without losing your spot. So yea I see zero sense in flexpay, unless your on a fixed card limit and paying that way, but if your putting yourself in debt to get something thats not out yet and not needed for survival, that makes little sense as well.

Like the OP said, with those you actually get the item right away. Big difference.

Not always. If you're building a house, you don't get it right away. Its got to be built first, but you've still got to start paying for it before its finished. Flex Pay is like that. The item isn't made yet, but you've started paying for it already. Its true you can get those items in most cases before you've fully paid for them. But Flex Pay is primarily a Pre-order tool. It allows you to pre-pay a majority of the items cost before it ships to break up the cost into smaller amounts instead of one large amount. You can use it on in-stock items though. Instead of saving up for an item and risk it selling out, you can have your order secured and 'save up' buy paying the monthly payment. That way you can still save up, but still secure your order.

Flex Pay is meant to break up the cost of large purchases. For example, the recent HT Batmobile. $630 is a LOT to spend at once. But if you use the Flex Pay offered, you can pay as little as $53 a month for 10 months. That isn't nearly as bad, and can be easily squeezed into a collecting budget. $630 is a lot harder, even if you are saving up on your own for that one-time payment.

Flex Pay works for some and just doesn't work for others. If its not your thing, accept it and move on. For others, its a life saver on high dollar items. Its there as an option, but not something Sideshow is forcing people to use. :dunno

Not always. If you're building a house, you don't get it right away. Its got to be built first, but you've still got to start paying for it before its finished. Flex Pay is like that. The item isn't made yet, but you've started paying for it already. Its true you can get those items in most cases before you've fully paid for them. But Flex Pay is primarily a Pre-order tool. It allows you to pre-pay a majority of the items cost before it ships to break up the cost into smaller amounts instead of one large amount. You can use it on in-stock items though. Instead of saving up for an item and risk it selling out, you can have your order secured and 'save up' buy paying the monthly payment. That way you can still save up, but still secure your order.

Flex Pay is meant to break up the cost of large purchases. For example, the recent HT Batmobile. $630 is a LOT to spend at once. But if you use the Flex Pay offered, you can pay as little as $53 a month for 10 months. That isn't nearly as bad, and can be easily squeezed into a collecting budget. $630 is a lot harder, even if you are saving up on your own for that one-time payment.

Flex Pay works for some and just doesn't work for others. If its not your thing, accept it and move on. For others, its a life saver on high dollar items. Its there as an option, but not something Sideshow is forcing people to use. :dunno

:exactly: :goodpost:

Back