WGP's CLASSIC DOCTOR WHO- SARAH JANE NOW AVAILABLE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WGP's CLASSIC DOCTOR WHO- W.I.P Forth Doctor head revealed!

Snow days must be really getting to me- I swear I posted here already. :slap The profile looks great, but there is something off about the shape of the mouth and jaw/chin to me, but I can't put my finger on what it is.

Thanks, and keep the Tom thoughts coming!

We were privately commissioned to make a Serious Trout (V.2). Commissions to have us make changes or alterations to an existing sculpt is pretty cheap. Wanted to share. These will be available to interested customers as well. Sculpted by WGP Lead artist and co-founder Sean Dabbs. :)

Thank for the comments. Anyone else?

It's also similar to your first sculpt expression wise.
Try some other looks like you have with Troughton. The new serious looks nice btw.
tumblr_inline_mq37dvbx0q1qz4rgp.jpg

images

4th-Doctor-Tom-Baker-the-fourth-doctor-22519253-486-617.jpg

000774E3-B5BB-143C-A0080C01AC1BF814-103618.jpg

dr_who_tom_baker_and_mary_tamm.jpg

Baker is very expressive and there are many looks that can be used, but he known for being silly more than serious.
His most frequent look is surprised or curious.

I wanted to get some thoughts on the Fourth Doctor head we're working on. I feel it is still a W.I.P., but wanted to hear what you guys thought.
Thanks!

My main concern I didn't want to voice until I heard your thoughts here and on Facebook is that to me he looks off sculpting-wise and I am trying to nail where. I feel it's with his nose in the straight-on shot.

With expressions you can't please everyone, particularly with Tom who has such extremes- serious and short-tempered like in S12 to smiling and friendly. No one wins in that war on the forum debates. So I want to have this one be neither (though I prefer the S12 death glare Tom if I was being selfish). So for this version I want him quizzical. If this sells well enough to warrant making a second head, as I hope, that will be a smiling version (but not manic).

(smiling will be the second Tom head if the firsts sales warrants it).

I need to let you know in order for reference to be good, it can't be grainy and blurry like a LOT of 70's pictures are, and ideally it really needs to be straight on. If anyone can find good quizzical reference I would appreciate it, but genuine and not goofy. I couldn't find any except this one which IS quizzical. I also need good straight-on nose shots, and by straight on I mean not from above, below as well as not 3/4 views, and none blurry or grainy. The only straight on-view is the opening credits image, and that gets fuzzy by the tip of the nose.

The expression is secondary to me getting him to look right first.

Thanks gang!

Likeness is good, but needs more personality. The lack of personality was one of the reasons I read people sold or returned the big chief version.

It was a pretty weird expression for them to choose out of all of the great Tom expressions, then it was pretty bad sculpting on top of it.

Snow days must be really getting to me- I swear I posted here already. :slap The profile looks great, but there is something off about the shape of the mouth and jaw/chin to me, but I can't put my finger on what it is.

And thats not where I think it's goofy, at least, that is not what is bugging the heck out of me. And of course everyone on FB says it looked fine (laugh). Arrrrgh!

We were privately commissioned to make a Serious Trout (V.2). Commissions to have us make changes or alterations to an existing sculpt is pretty cheap. Wanted to share. These will be available to interested customers as well. Sculpted by WGP Lead artist and co-founder Sean Dabbs. :)

IThe new serious looks nice btw.

Thanks!

I think Tekkaman Blade has a point. The Tom sculpt is looking good but maybe see if you can do a couple of variants just by changing the mouth like with the V2 of serious Trout.

The problems with the BCS sculpt are,

1.The top half of the face looked like Tom's boggly eyed expression was the inspiration and from the nose down it looked like the sculptor changed his mind and went for the more sombre look from the opening credits image.

It's no wonder the proportions are off because it's attempting to be two distinctly different expressions at once.

2.It has STUBBLE painted on it.

That's a basic error that no company should be making, particularly one that's charging £170 for a figure or another £30 for their Signature Editions.

Thank for the comments. Anyone else?

I think the mouth needs to be a little wider and the top lip looks a bit too long. The profile is perfect. Tom has a sort of line that runs about half a cm above his top lip that is there on that sculpt so that shows how close it is. Have you superimposed the cg model on reference material? It's shaping up brilliantly so far.

I think the mouth needs to be a little wider and the top lip looks a bit too long. The profile is perfect. Tom has a sort of line that runs about half a cm above his top lip that is there on that sculpt so that shows how close it is. Have you superimposed the cg model on reference material? It's shaping up brilliantly so far.

Thanks for the crits and the kind words!

Re: WGP's CLASSIC DOCTOR WHO- W.I.P Fourth Doctor head revealed!

Just a little update while i have a few minutes...

1) I am expecting the next Tom sculpt revision soon

2)Jamie V.2 is due to start sculpting soon (next week). I am very excited. I am commissioning this one myself.

3)The newest box of printed masters is due to arrive to me tonight. In there are the Sarah Jane accessories. Sarah's proto head is currently with Steve Giunta being painted. Once these newly arrived item are prepped and cast, they will be painted and the finished proto will be debuted. The costume is already available. her head will be available as soon as I get extra casta in in a week or so. All I had recieved was the QC preview copy.

4)Being digital artists, WGP had always been told the material Printed items are made for is not permanent so the item needed to be cast to be permanent, because printed items deteriorate under UV rays over time.

Our buddy Corrose just bought his own printer and was trained for several days, and actually learned as long as the printed item is painted, the item will be protected from UV light and that will not be a problem. This is AWESOME news because you can print really small things easily that casters get pissed at you over if they have to cast them (laugh). So long story short, we can print the Tardis Key we have sculpted now to make copies. Before the casters wouldn't touch it. We will have those and the Tom sonics out with the Tom head. :)

Just a little update while i have a few minutes...

1) I am expecting the next Tom sculpt revision soon

2)Jamie V.2 is due to start sculpting soon (next week). I am very excited. I am commissioning this one myself.

3)The newest box of printed masters is due to arrive to me tonight. In there are the Sarah Jane accessories. Sarah's proto head is currently with Steve Giunta being painted. Once these newly arrived item are prepped and cast, they will be painted and the finished proto will be debuted. The costume is already available. her head will be available as soon as I get extra casta in in a week or so. All I had recieved was the QC preview copy.

4)Being digital artists, WGP had always been told the material Printed items are made for is not permanent so the item needed to be cast to be permanent, because printed items deteriorate under UV rays over time.

Our buddy Corrose just bought his own printer and was trained for several days, and actually learned as long as the printed item is painted, the item will be protected from UV light and that will not be a problem. This is AWESOME news because you can print really small things easily that casters get pissed at you over if they have to cast them (laugh). So long story short, we can print the Tardis Key we have sculpted now to make copies. Before the casters wouldn't touch it. We will have those and the Tom sonics out with the Tom head. :)

That's exciting news about Sarah. Looking forward to seeing her painted and the proto completed. :) Sounds like the printer is really going to be a worthwhile investment. I can't wait to see the key and screwdriver printed out.

The Fourth Doctor revision two!

Any word on when Sarah will be available?

She's at the finish line. Her accessories are printed and are about to be sent to the caster. Costumes been done, and have been waiting for the heads for over a month now. Awaiting an eta. In the mean time I just got the first painted proto back from Steven Giunta.

The Fourth Doctor revision two!

She's at the finish line. Her accessories are printed and are about to be sent to the caster. Costumes been done, and have been waiting for the heads for over a month now. Awaiting an eta. In the mean time I just got the first painted proto back from Steven Giunta.

Can't wait to get a hold of the new Sarah head. :D

I think Tom's looking better. I think the hair is now what's throwing things off; curly hair must be a pain to render. I'd also so like to see the sculpt without the "painted in" eyes if that's possible.

Overall, looking good. :clap

I'd also so like to see the sculpt without the "painted in" eyes if that's possible.

I will ask. I also have the first W.I.P pictures of our SMILING Tom. He is about 85% done. Once again I am calling out for help with better reference. We need a good straight-on pic of him smiling with just his top teeth showing. This one is unfortunately slightly looking down.

Last edited:

Hi Damien
We will know soon.

The full set is head, costume, body, S13/14 watch, severed Stone Eldrad hand, Sarah hand wearing Eldrads ring backwards, and her gym shoes.

Our goal is to sell her unpainted and without a body for people who can customize and finish her themselves, and also offer a painted, complete figure on a body for those that aren't into customizing at all. Right now we are getting her feet, Eldrad hand, and alternate hand cast, and once everything is painted and we have a price for a fully painted figure and announce prices then.

Probably in a month. Her head is also being repainted with a lighter skintone which we will be showing soon with her painted watch. Keep watching this space! :)

I will ask. I also have the first W.I.P pictures of our SMILING Tom. He is about 85% done. Once again I am calling out for help with better reference. We need a good straight-on pic of him smiling with just his top teeth showing. This one is unfortunately slightly looking down.

Hope its not too late, but I happened to stumble on this picture which might be helpful?
d04-x434344.jpg

or this one?
d04-313.jpg

Thank you so much, but those are both at angles looking up and the ref needs to be straight on with no angles for true reference.

I will show the newest W.I.P. just to show what we have, but it is off and will be having another revision. I asked for the teeth to be angled a bit and they got angles a bit too much. Thoughts welcome. :)

It's getting there, though. It's getting there.:)

Alright, here's a K-9 update, but none anyone should get excited about since the caster has been such a ****** about this.
This is the first cast and how the unassembled K-9 will look when offered. The side door will be held on by magnets so you can do whatever you want to the inside. Remove the panel for the Doctor to fix K-9? Great? Add innards to give him something to monkey around with? Rockin. Add a tiny remote control
toy and cut his bottom out to make him remote control? Great. Having an empty inside cavity also gives you a choice of making his eyes light-up or adding a voice chip if you are so inclined.

Me? I just want his eyes to light-up and stay on, to give atmosphere to my shelf. he reason this is nothing exciting is because K-9 has been ready to be cast for for two years. This got shipped to our lead artist to give to his daughter for her birthday. We have been promised out demo/proto model pretty much every week of the year. About as often as we write him asking what the hell is going on. Someday...

Back