Statue Weta's Gandalf the Grey Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pose preference is of course subjective and based on the personal preferences of each and every individual so why people continue trying to push their own preferences on others is beyond me.......and while you may be the only person on the face of the earth who believes Weta's new Gandalf likeness is better than the SS maquette, you are certainly entitled to your opinion........:rotfl[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting me have an opinion, afterall i thought thats what this forum was about, or have i made the cardinal sin and disagreed with Woodsy.

After seeing it in person at Con, this is a must buy for me. The colors, pose and everything else is completely okie-dokee for me.

:D

Agreed! I ordered it day 1 and am damn glad I did. Will be ordering Gollum soon I believe.

Even though Gandalf is my favorite LOTR character I just don't like this one at all. He looks like a wino begging for change.

Even though Gandalf is my favorite LOTR character I just don't like this one at all. He looks like a wino begging for change.

Even Gandalf has to sit down and rest once in a while....after all he's as old as Sauron...again the picky details...

:lol The things we moan about!

At least the costume looks more like the outfit GTG had in LOTR, and actually has some detailing and texture, as opposed to the shiny maquette. :monkey3

You are definetely correct ...

I ordered one. I love it honestly. Its a great looking piece and a great price to boot. Gandalf is my second favorite character behind Aragorn so I'm cool with adding another piece to my collection.

Great choice

Thanks, but I think I'm pretty capable of determining the cost to quality ratio of a product on my own. :wink1: And while I do agree that based on the price the overall sculpt [size/quality] and pose are good, and the likeness somewhat passable......the colour scheme has nothing to do with the cost of the statue. Unless of course grey and is now more expensive than blue and green. Seems to me that Weta with their GTG 1/4 scale bust had no problem perfectly matching the colours of that bust with the on-screen colours and that bust was cheaper in cost than this statue. So I don't have a clue as to whether Weta messed up or deliberately decided to take liberities with the colouring of what is supposed to be a movie-related statue, but either way, that in itself would disqualify me from ever wanting it in my collection. :dunno

Pose preference is of course subjective and based on the personal preferences of each and every individual so why people continue trying to push their own preferences on others is beyond me.......and while you may be the only person on the face of the earth who believes Weta's new Gandalf likeness is better than the SS maquette, you are certainly entitled to your opinion........:rotfl

You got all that out of my one statement?....You're thinking too hard....and way outside the box

Last edited:
Both pieces are top notch. I think the Weta piece does a great job capturing the wise leader while the SS piece captures a hidden power in GTG we see for just a few moments. There is nothing lost about GTG in either piece period.

Edit: Also the detailing in the cloth on both pieces is exceptional. Nothing lost in either piece in that regard either. :)

Climb down from that fence every now and again! :lol

I'm being honest. I think both pieces are freaking awesome. They both capture things about the character that mean something to me. Both pieces have exceptional detail and as I said have the "essence" of the character.

The mini gandalf statue has some of the best detail I've seen in a piece that size from head to toe. It was quite an impressive piece in person and something I will love owning. The SS Maquette is freaking awesome. I'm sorry I own the piece and I know what detail is in the production version. The cloth look is there as good as anything we've seen ever in Gandalf in that scale.

I will like owning both pieces equally. So I'm firmly planted where I'm most comfortable. :)

Its all good. Figured I'd explain myself for the masses. :lol

They can be as long as they're not too pointy. :lol

I actually think the likeness on this piece is very good. Definately on par IMO with GTG and GTG Maquette. That being said, I doubt I will get it. The likeness in the face is the best part. He looks a bit short and stocky for Gandalf. Just a pat on the back for WETA for the likeness.

I think I am Gandalf-ed out until the inevitable Legendary Scale version comes out; I think a 1:2 Grey Pilgrim would be damn near irresistable.

:panic: :horror :clap

*ordered*...thought I was done collecting LOTR...but the size works for me...and as a fellow long-bottom leaf smoker..this is just right.

Back