Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TBH I dont see that much of difference between upper and lower pic. Lower has obvioudly some kind of filter but they are miles away from this.

For me "Upper and lower" pic are a night and day difference , I'd be happy to receive one with a paint app as good as the "lower".

Bute everyone has his degree of "tolerance" I'll give my final opinion once I receive mine

Some more in hand pics from facebook (not mine)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298683.084688.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298734.072599.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298745.043773.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298759.469417.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424298776.959980.jpg

Actually, no, those are all the same, the only difference is colour temperature and hence the vibrancy of the red.

None of those have the yellow/orange tones of the prototype image.
Exactly.
On the proto you see the lower part of the head(from side) and some scars are supposed to be yellow&orange. Colour gradually turns from dark red into orange

Everything comes down to preference. The owner is the person to like it or not. But when I paid 600eur based on a certain picture I want to own a statue which looks like that very picture.

Actually, no, those are all the same, the only difference is colour temperature and hence the vibrancy of the red.

None of those have the yellow/orange tones of the prototype image.

I do see orange an yellow in the production piece, not just red...Maybe I'm imagining colours :dunno

15928554623_1e22bc918b_z.jpg

16362731907_cfeaa16d08_z.jpg

16362205859_f4339b4309_z-2.jpg

15925951744_dc920fb0d9_z.jpg

From another owner:

Smaug_15.jpeg

Most of the shots seem to show a darn good job, IMO. Some up close shots will make things look worse because of how blown up the photos are. So You have to take all of it with a grain of salt. People need to take a deep breath and let everything play out.

As far as Con pics I've got a bunch of them earlier in this thread. You just gotta search for them.

Just received mine! Unboxing was a pain in the as$

I'm no great collector with over 300 statues, I've been 2 years in this hobby and I have 22 1/4 statues and 8 1/5 statues, most from sideshow a couple from XM and some others from F4F. This is my first weta piece, and I like it but I'm not really impressed. I would give this piece an overall 7.5/10, what brings the piece down imo is without any doubt paint app, it has to be one of the sloppiest painted pieces in my collection I know this statues won't be seen from an inch away, but for the price tag a better paint app should have been the rule. No breakage or defects, it just came with a painful duty & tax invoice.

I'm not returning this but I will be more cautious with my future WETA pieces, just as I am with sideshow.

Those are my two cents :wink1:

Seems to be the consensus across forums that the paint job on this statue is the weak spot. And it kind of makes me scratch my head - the sculpt and detail is nothing short of fantastic, as is the packaging and care gone into the rest of the production.

So why does Weta let obviously sloppy paint jobs pass qc and drag down an otherwise truly impressive statue? For $750 you should expect a paint job closer to the prototypes then to $20 plastic dinosaurs, which a lot of the in hand photos resemble.

In my opinion this has to be some bad qc or other factory problem missed by Weta cause the difference in quality between most of the paint jobs seen on in hand pieces so far and the rest of the statue is just in completely different leagues.

They do not strike me as a company not caring about what they deliver to their customers as long as it earns, plus they created Smaug's design for the movies - this should be a prestige piece for them to get right. I bet for the 3d artists and sculptors it probably was.

Middle eart should be a little raw :)

It's totally something different then the shiny Gentle giant paintjobs,but fot what I have seen so far it looks fine to me.
I'm think I'm in the later batch from the Uk warehouse.
Tho I'm expecting Faramir this week.

Finally received my Smaug Statue, yet to open it as I know I have to repack it away, will post pics when I do. I received statue number 0011/2000 :)

So kratos what's your thoughts? Worth it? How's the paint and sculpt? Close to proto seen at the comicons?

Just finished unpacking Smaug. As I was the one who posted that I had avoided buying Weta after having seen some Kong statues that looked like they had been painted by a third grader, I can say that I am very happy with this. Is this a high end paint job that you would pay someone $500-$1000? No, but it is a very nice mass production paint job. It doesn't have all the finest detail that the proto did, but I wasn't expecting that. When I saw the picture of the one where there was clearly paint missing on the chin, I got worried. I'm pretrty sure that will be in the minority though.

Not that you should have to on a piece that costs as much as it does, but if you want some extra highlighting, do a little drybrushing. I'm sure some are protesting right now, but it's really pretty easy. It's an animal with some very rough skin. Probably get some amazing results, if so inclined. You don't even have to try all that hard to match colors. But.......as I said, you really shouldn't have to. Just some thoughts from someone who builds a lot of models.

Back