Statue Weta Workshop Smaug the Terrible Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. I had Azog on pre-order but cancelled it before it released. I just don't feel any need to own the character, definitely not iconic enough. Smaug and Balrog are very tempting, however.

Azog is not my favorite character also , like you said "not iconic" at all, but the statue is so great and so dynamic that it makes him look better than in the movies. If he was not CGI, Azog would be outstanding like lurtz. For the price, the size, Edition size, and the quality, it's a beautiful release by weta and it helps me to appreciate the character a little more.

Azog is iconic enough in Middle-earth lore to make this worth getting alone. Then you factor in how well done he is by the folks at Weta Digital and it just all adds up to this being a must own type piece.

Azog is iconic enough in Middle-earth lore to make this worth getting alone. Then you factor in how well done he is by the folks at Weta Digital and it just all adds up to this being a must own type piece.

Yeah, he's a lot more iconic than Lurtz or even many of the Dwarves in the Hobbit. More importantly, it's a freaking kick ass statue. :rock

Yeah, he's a lot more iconic than Lurtz or even many of the Dwarves in the Hobbit. More importantly, it's a freaking kick ass statue. :rock

I can't disagree. I love all the Dwarves but he's been more important to the movie version than say someone like Bombur.

I can't disagree. I love all the Dwarves but he's been more important to the movie version than say someone like Bombur.

Well, TBH he is more important in the books from all the dwarfs of the company except Thorin, Balin and Gloin. He is the guy who killed and defiled King Thror before he was killed himself by Dain. What I mean is that he may not be in the Hobbit book but he is still a pretty important character in Middle Earth lore.

After all it comes down to whether your collection is movie or book based. Not going to criticize ppl for their taste and the statue is awesome in terms of art anyway.
But for me Bombur is much more important. Tolkien sat down and described Bombur with love and detail and all he wrote about Azog in the Hobbit in "he(Thror) was slain by an Orc". The rest is PJ.

Azog is a part of Tolkien's legendarium but not enough to justify a 50cm statue imo.
Moviewise he obviously is a major character

Well, TBH he is more important in the books from all the dwarfs of the company except Thorin, Balin and Gloin. He is the guy who killed and defiled King Thror before he was killed himself by Dain. What I mean is that he may not be in the Hobbit book but he is still a pretty important character in Middle Earth lore.

I can't disagree with you here either.

After all it comes down to whether your collection is movie or book based. Not going to criticize ppl for their taste and the statue is awesome in terms of art anyway.
But for me Bombur is much more important. Tolkien sat down and described Bombur with love and detail and all he wrote about Azog in the Hobbit in "he(Thror) was slain by an Orc". The rest is PJ.

Azog is a part of Tolkien's legendarium but not enough to justify a 50cm statue imo.
Moviewise he obviously is a major character

My collection of course is based off the movie collectibles but honestly it is more about representing Middle-earth. Honestly for me they're all important that's why I have so many pieces. :lol

...But for me Bombur is much more important. Tolkien sat down and described Bombur with love and detail and all he wrote about Azog in the Hobbit in "he(Thror) was slain by an Orc". The rest is PJ...

If you are talking about the Hobbit book then I can't disagree with you but if you are talking about the entirety of Middle Earth history I will disagree. :)

I love the vision of ME that PJ and the team at WETA have created. They have gone into some major fine detailing of the look, clothing, tools, weapons etc used by each of the major races and then broke it down further into sub-cultures of each race to give clear distinctions.

My collection is based on ME in both book and film form. I have Azog on Warg as a major character in the lore of the Dwarves of Durin's line, not just as a film character. I also have the Snow Troll from the video game as it is a very believable representation of one the terrors briefly mentioned by Tolkien in the LOTR books.

I believe once the films are finished, more people will hit the books and more of ME's lore and 'history' will leave them wanting more diverse collectibles.

I just went on an absolute binge of book buying this month. I have read most of the canon (Hobbit, LOTR, Silmarillion, Children of Hurin) but am expanding to some of the lesser known works and fragmentary pieces as well as the more historical pieces such as Rateliff's "History of" series. I am an absolute sucker for the custom leather slipcases as well. First batch started arriving this week, the Harper Collins deluxe line of slipcased volumes. Considering the 600 dollar Children of Hurin super deluxe as well but man that is a lot for a book I will never read or touch with bare hands ;)

I love the vision of ME that PJ and the team at WETA have created. They have gone into some major fine detailing of the look, clothing, tools, weapons etc used by each of the major races and then broke it down further into sub-cultures of each race to give clear distinctions.

My collection is based on ME in both book and film form. I have Azog on Warg as a major character in the lore of the Dwarves of Durin's line, not just as a film character. I also have the Snow Troll from the video game as it is a very believable representation of one the terrors briefly mentioned by Tolkien in the LOTR books.

I believe once the films are finished, more people will hit the books and more of ME's lore and 'history' will leave them wanting more diverse collectibles.

I'm with you 100%. This is exactly how I look and feel about what Jackson has done with Middle-earth.

As far as Snow Trolls from what I took in one of the BOTFA tie in books we will see them on screen in this movie.

When I read the books in the past, I would visualize the characters in a combination of ways based on the art of the Hildebrand Brother, Ted Nasmith, John Howe and Alan Lee. Now when I read the books I visualize all the characters based on how they looked in the movies. Thanks to PJ & Weta.

I love the vision of ME that PJ I also have the Snow Troll from the video game as it is a very believable representation of one the terrors briefly mentioned by Tolkien in the LOTR books.
The Snow Troll is so underrated, it is a crime.

Very well said, couldn't agree more!

Considering the 600 dollar Children of Hurin super deluxe as well but man that is a lot for a book I will never read or touch with bare hands ;)
Where the hell did you find CoH Super Deluxe for 600 bucks? I can't find anything below around $800

so my wife agreed to buy this for me for my xmas gift, I know i wont get it before xmas but that fact she is getting it for me is way cool

Back