Statue Weta: The Hobbit - Gandalf The Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And a side-by-side pic with the old Gandalf:

He seems to have shrunk in size over the years. LotR Gandalf is about an inch shorter than Hobbit Gandalf:

Good Shots man! This statue is just really good and shows how much weta has improved over the years.

And a side-by-side pic with the old Gandalf:

He seems to have shrunk in size over the years. LotR Gandalf is about an inch shorter than Hobbit Gandalf:

Both of those GGs are great...I'll never forget the first time I saw that SSW GG and others in a front window LCS in Brooklyn 0ver 10 years ago...I was floored...that piece is still for me in top 3 GG's ever made...sentimental value goes a long way

Great photos Olorin! Congrats!! :clap

Good Shots man! This statue is just really good and shows how much weta has improved over the years.

I does, but you know I still love that old Gandalf, and it's still a very special piece. Especially remembering how much input Sir Ian had in it, remembering the footage on the old Gollum DVD. :)

Either way, they're both fantastic though!

Yeah, the original is great. That line is uber special and something that for me has sentimental value above a lot of things as you said. That Gollum DVD is still to this day still so much fun to watch.

Makes me wish I was collecting high-end stuff when those statues were out. Back then I was still minor-league with action figures... :banghead

I would sell my SS pieces before getting rid of any of Weta's

Makes me wish I was collecting high-end stuff when those statues were out. Back then I was still minor-league with action figures... :banghead

It was a great time for sure. A lot of magic with that line. I think that will be the case with this hobbit line so it's a good time to be in it. The great thing for me personally is sideshow is making amazing collectibles and we're getting amazing stuff from weta. So it's nothing but wins all around for fans.

Same here, all I had was toybiz figures.. I really wish I could have all the old Weta Lotr pieces in a cabinet, looking at them everyday :monkey2

Same here, all I had was toybiz figures.. I really wish I could have all the old Weta Lotr pieces in a cabinet, looking at them everyday :monkey2

It's never too late to start the wonderful SSW line Justified :wave - there is always ebay. :wink1: and members here sell from time to time. :)

:duff
Bill

I could.. if Weta wasn't bombarding all the Hobbit pieces, which I think will continue for at least 3 years. Since I missed all the Lotr stuff I don't want to miss any of those new and shiny Hobbit goodies :gollum:

Isn't this piece just the perfect way to start into high end collecting?

I have a lot of the old SSW pieces, and love them dearly, but this has to be my new favorite statue! :yess:

iP1060004_zpsfde6596a.jpg

I started collecting the SSW line about 5 years ago. As I'm a student now funds aren't always great so it's been a long process but I've gathered a nice collection to date. Most recently a Bilbo bust (no box) for £5 from a shop in Leicester. A little damage but a bit of paint and it looks great. I'm a big fan of Weta and I'm a huge fan of the busts they produced so I'd recommend collecting the line when ever possible. Most of my buys have been through ebay or on the off chance popping into a comic shop and bartering with the owner to get a good price for a piece I like.

I won't be too hasty in collecting the entire Hobbit line but I think I will buy the Gandalf the Grey statue. I've seen loads of pics pop up in the last few days of the statue and some make it look awesome and some not so much. I'm all about the face sculpt so if anyone can post some nice close ups in natural light ofthe face I'd be grateful.

Cheers.

Isn't this piece just the perfect way to start into high end collecting?

I have a lot of the old SSW pieces, and love them dearly, but this has to be my new favorite statue! :yess:

iP1060004_zpsfde6596a.jpg

Now this picture makes me want to buy it. Any chance you could post a close up of the face sculpt? Thanks.

:hi5: I don't think you'll regret it. Your wallet though, some way down this road, might! :lol

You might be right there but buying this means this will be the last piece I buy this year. That's unless someone finds it their heart to buy me Bilbo and Thorin for Christmas. One can hope. :lol

Back