Statue Weta: The Hobbit - Gandalf The Grey

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk about extreme opposites, frodo_eyes got nothing on you :lol

:lol

;)

I'm glad you mentioned that, if i may just sneak in here...

I can't see what detail there is in the GTG maquette, other than in the face. If you look at those 3 statues in the photo, does the maquette seriously look to you like it could be a still from the movie?
A comic book super-hero movie maybe, but then Sideshow have always been good at sculpting Marvel statues ;)

I agree with cstojano, i was really excited about the maquette line until i saw Gandalf. Aragorn was the first and best in my opinion, the best likeness to Viggo and every inch of that statue is just so well done, as is the execution and the pose, and the overall feeling. It's a beautiful statue :love

It's just interesting to see how varied the little things we like about our statues! For me, each of them have their standouts. About the least-liked GTG collectible I have is the Sideshow bust (not the SS/W one) with his staff. I bought that because the proto looked great, but when the actual thing arrived, his lips were off-color, and looked like he had makeup on.

;)

I can't see what detail there is in the GTG maquette, other than in the face. If you look at those 3 statues in the photo, does the maquette seriously look to you like it could be a still from the movie?
A comic book super-hero movie maybe, but then Sideshow have always been good at sculpting Marvel statues ;)

I agree with cstojano, i was really excited about the maquette line until i saw Gandalf. Aragorn was the first and best in my opinion, the best likeness to Viggo and every inch of that statue is just so well done, as is the execution and the pose, and the overall feeling. It's a beautiful statue :love

To me the gtg maquette is the most iconic representation of the character.

1) The pose/sculpt - with staff out in front, sword in hand, cloak blowing in the wind, stepping on a rock cliff ready to fight, doesnt get any more epic than that. He looks like gandalf, also looks like a traditional wizard.

2) The details - the bags under his eyes, the wrinkles on the face, the little pointy hat, details on his shoes, the dust around the cape etc..amazingly intricate

3) The paint - none of the above matter without the paint, and this one is excellent (at least both of mine are), no spillovers, every little details was painted cleanly. His long white beard was painted to perfection with clean breaks where it connected with the body.

;)

Boils down to taste and that's all. Aragorn is serene. I really like the pose of the original Legolas, elegant, pose makes sense. While paint aps are definitely superior now a days and everyone's game has been upped the poses of some of the SS offerings are just hitting a different feeling for me. But Gandalf is not a bad statue. None of the SS maquettes are bad statues. Our complaints are all seriously up town, first world problems on this forum ;)

1) The pose/sculpt - with staff out in front, sword in hand, cloak blowing in the wind, stepping on a rock cliff ready to fight, doesnt get any more epic than that. He looks like gandalf, also looks like a traditional wizard.

2) The details - the bags under his eyes, the wrinkles on the face, the little pointy hat, details on his shoes, the dust around the cape etc..amazingly intricate

3) The paint - none of the above matter without the paint, and this one is excellent (at least both of mine are), no spillovers, every little details was painted cleanly. His long white beard was painted to perfection with clean breaks where it connected with the body.

The pose - it might look like a traditional wizard, yes, but not a Middle-Earth one, to me. The pose just seems a bit too 'Americanized' to me.
The details - yes, as i said, the face is brilliant. The hat doesn't seem to sit right though. As for details and dust, you get that on just about every statue, as you will on the new Gandalf. Are you getting it, incidentally? It's going to be a classic, i think.

But as cstojano says, it's all down to taste and our complaints ARE very 'first world concerns'! :lol
At the end of the day it's only a hobby and we all collect what we enjoy :)

I think this version is a great representation of 'the book' Gandalf in that I picture it as a scene from Weather top where he fights the Wraiths and as such demands a 'Gandalf uncloaked' :lecture
There will always be personal differences in what we want in a figure, paint etc, but WETA and Sideshow are both at the top of their game :wink1:

That's the thing both are on top of their game and have both produced great versions of these characters. The sideshow Gandalf is freaking great and does have fantastic detail. While the weta hobbit Gandalf is such a great looking statue. I love just looking at it when I enter my room. I feel blessed to have both companies producing items from something that means so much to me.

That's the thing both are on top of their game and have both produced great versions of these characters. The sideshow Gandalf is freaking great and does have fantastic detail. While the weta hobbit Gandalf is such a great looking statue. I love just looking at it when I enter my room. I feel blessed to have both companies producing items from something that means so much to me.

Yep...just wish I was blessed with more cash! :lol

From Steven Saunders, the sculptor:

"I tend to try and avoid poses that are too heroic and not in tune with the character. With the pose for Gandalf the Grey, I wanted to say that this is not just a wizard - this is an old man, supporting himself on his staff after a long walk. The wind catches his robe and it billows out as he's gazing into the distance.
"It's inspired by an original painting by John Howe. I've always thought Gandalf the Grey was a more interesting character than Gandalf the White. Gandalf the Grey in The Fellowship of the Ring is that old man, whereas Gandalf the White is almost larger than life and really heroic."
"I started sculpting this piece without Gandalf's hat on. When you put the hat on his head, he instantly becomes Gandalf. The challenge for me is to make him into Gandalf even without the hat. I discussed this with Richard Taylor and we decided to make the hat removable. I still prefer that statue without the hat."

The full interview is here:

https://www.wetanz.com/meet-the-crew-steven-saunders/

Are you getting it, incidentally? It's going to be a classic, i think.

i might down the line if i can find it cheap off ebay or here. As you are well aware i am not a fan of weta, i think they always overpromise with hype but never actually deliver the paint/quality they promised in those product photos. Obviously my opinion is the minority here...

However this one does look pretty good, compared to their usual hoopla 1000000 hours spent releases....

i might down the line if i can find it cheap off ebay or here. As you are well aware i am not a fan of weta, i think they always overpromise with hype but never actually deliver the paint/quality they promised in those product photos. Obviously my opinion is the minority here...

However this one does look pretty good, compared to their usual hoopla 1000000 hours spent releases....

Well I think that if Weta continues this quality control is going to give a lesson to Sideshow.

Sideshow lately because unfortunately the vast majority of their releases are problems with quality control, and Weta launches in the last three levels of the three pieces painted I see very close to what is shown in the prototype.

So I think Weta as well follow Sideshow eventually overcome.

And I am a lover of eye line of Sideshow maquette, but recognize that lately the quality control of his pitches leaves much to be desired.

In my opinion the Weta Gandalf has been launched, close to perfection.
The painting is superb.

From Steven Saunders, the sculptor:

"With the pose for Gandalf the Grey, I wanted to say that this is not just a wizard - this is an old man, supporting himself on his staff after a long walk. The wind catches his robe and it billows out as he's gazing into the distance."

"It's inspired by an original painting by John Howe. I've always thought Gandalf the Grey was a more interesting character than Gandalf the White. Gandalf the Grey in The Fellowship of the Ring is that old man, whereas Gandalf the White is almost larger than life and really heroic."

The full interview is here:

https://www.wetanz.com/meet-the-crew-steven-saunders/

I guess Steven is referring to this picture:
1916813786_5f571f88f4.jpg

I've always liked this image of Gandalf so the statue was a must for me.

Yeah, as gangrel said above, sideshow have had their fair share of QC issues lately, and I haven't yet seen a Weta statue with a lazy eye, so if you dislike Weta for that reason you must surely dislike Sidedhow to a degree!

Yeah, as gangrel said above, sideshow have had their fair share of QC issues lately, and I haven't yet seen a Weta statue with a lazy eye, so if you dislike Weta for that reason you must surely dislike Sidedhow to a degree!

I completely agree. I've bought several Sideshow pieces over the years and I have never been 100% happy with any of them. Weta however, I've never really had any problems. They are very reliable and their LOTR line was superb and their Hobbit it turning out to be even better.

You should have picked up the Mola Ram PF when it was available. Awesome and perfect piece IMO. Both companies have their share of QC issues, its hit or miss. I think Weta has gone to the side of being overpriced though. 200 bucks for that Bilbo I think is insane, especially as an open edition piece. But then Weta announces a silly magnet has sold out so who knows. They may pull the plug on these at any time, most seem to doubt that but did anyone think a silly magnet would sell out?? I mean what's the production cost of that. I'd be even more peeved if this was the case since it would suggest they should have just numbered the things from the start.

jesus...they finally soldout the mola ram pf ex?!?!? now if venomsaurus gets soldout too......

world..kaboom!

I just got this one...It for me represents the top 2 Gandalfs made to date...It's between this one and PF...love it...I also like that the hat can be posed/tilted somewhat to the way you want...very nice

Last edited:
Back