WETA returns to LOTR 1:6?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes yes, you've already made your point, and i've given you a possible reason that you haven't commented on.

we're all very busy multi-tasking. so how does that figure into weta having too high a price point because they are making other lines and movies too? i don't buy the 'manhours' reasoning weta gives. at the end. a collector doesn't care how long it took to make. they are concerned with what they are getting for the price. so how do you set a price? look at the competing market.

as far as the comic based company reason you gave. when i first started collecting in late 2004, early 2005, sideshow was teamed up with weta doing LOTR busts, statues and 1/6 scale figures. that was their bread and butter. when the LOTR popularity died, so did sideshow's partnership with weta. since then ss introduced their LOTR line and those were done better than weta could ever think of doing them. now weta is trying to compete for a piece of the collector pie and they are hitting the skids. they have produced most of their hobbit line with open editions and high price points. not one has sold out to date, not even their few with edition sizes of 1000. it's not just me that thinks weta has too high prices. the proof is in the unsold stock still lingering.

we're all very busy multi-tasking. so how does that figure into weta having too high a price point because they are making other lines and movies too? i don't buy the 'manhours' reasoning weta gives. at the end. a collector doesn't care how long it took to make. they are concerned with what they are getting for the price. so how do you set a price? look at the competing market.

And yet all of the three SS items you used to (correctly in my opinion) suggest Weta has too high prices also remain for sale - they haven't sold out either. It seems that in general people just aren't buying as much as they used to - this will be down to a variety of economic factors of which 'less disposable income' and 'rising prices' will be two major factors. For me collectibles across the board have recently become very expensive and that is now why I'm both buying some of the older items I missed on the second hand market and diversifying into other lines that don't seem to have gone up as much (such as UC). As regards 'not buying' what Weta says about manhours, I'm afraid that is a reality of business. Hours cost money - you cannot just price on the 'going rate' if an item costs more than that to produce, its simple business common sense. Weta will have some 'model' whereby they have to sell a certain number (or percentage of a limited edition) to break even and then the rest is profit - I have no idea what that model is and I agree that they are overpriced, but I don't think it's just Weta that is too expensive...

since then ss introduced their LOTR line and those were done better than weta could ever think of doing them. now weta is trying to compete for a piece of the collector pie and they are hitting the skids. they have produced most of their hobbit line with open editions and high price points. not one has sold out to date, not even their few with edition sizes of 1000. it's not just me that thinks weta has too high prices. the proof is in the unsold stock still lingering.

Done better than Weta could ever think of doing them? :lol That's highly debatable. Yes they done some good stuff, and some bad. Just like the old SSW line.
You make it sound as if Weta are trying to muscle in to 'have a piece of the pie' - LOTR and Hobbit is their baby - it belongs with them and they'll have it for as long is financially viable, which makes your last point moot - they wouldn't be doing these if they weren't happy with the sales. They stopped their Narnia, Tintin, Kong and Doctor Who lines because they weren't selling. No company is going to dedicate hours to making things that don't sell.
Hitting the skids? Weta have said themselves they are VERY happy with the sales so far of their Hobbit line, which is why they went after the LOTR licence. As has been said, yes they have stock lingering but so does Sideshow - and Weta are obviously happy with what has sold.
Yes i agree most of their stuff is priced too high but i could say the same about lots of things in life. Prices of everything go up but wages stay the same. We just have to suck it up or not pay. Your choice.

One HUGE difference between Sideshow and Weta offerings in Middle-earth is diversity and range. Sideshow has TWO lines, PFs and Maquettes...both of which are easily over the $250 price point.

Weta, on the other hand, has a HUGE variety in their products...posters, pins, magnets, mini-statues, open editions, larger statues, all the way up to 1/6th statues and high-end environments. I think that diversity is what brings in MORE and MORE collectors...they have a FULL range of products for every level of collector.

We don't know the Hobbit license cost. WETA sell the LOTR Art Prints at 35$ and the Hobbit ones at 50$. The two cost the same work and time. Maybe the difference is the licence cost. If finally SS shows some Hobbit items, we would see their prices with the SAME license and we could talk about something objectif.
Like you, I can say that the SS World War Hulk PF is (more or less) 600$ and the SS Dark Rider PF is 800$... why this difference? For me, becouse we talk about 2 licenses, and the comparison is not good

One HUGE difference between Sideshow and Weta offerings in Middle-earth is diversity and range.

Another, which has been pointed out before is the Weta rewards program (Weta Dollars). Their overall plan and conditions make Sideshows rewards look like junk. Sure the prices aren't cheap, but when you hit Gold Collector status, which isn't hard, getting 15% back on anything and everything that you actually spend other then postage, soon starts to really add up.

So in many ways, that $250 statue, ends up being $212.50 and even if you some Weta Dollars to reduce the price, you still earn rewards on what you do spend.

Another, which has been pointed out before is the Weta rewards program (Weta Dollars). Their overall plan and conditions make Sideshows rewards look like junk. Sure the prices aren't cheap, but when you hit Gold Collector status, which isn't hard, getting 15% back on anything and everything that you actually spend other then postage, soon starts to really add up.

So in many ways, that $250 statue, ends up being $212.50 and even if you some Weta Dollars to reduce the price, you still earn rewards on what you do spend.

Exactly. 100% agree that it's a phenomenal rewards program

Yeah, their rewards program is the best out there. I love being able to use what I have and still earn some on that purchase. I think it encourages people to buy more items than they would normally.

That's right. As a gold collector I get 100 dollars back in Weta dollars on a Barad-dur purchase so to most actually buying it from them the true cost is closer to 600 dollars.

As WETA has a warehouse at the UK, the people who lives in Europe don't have to pay taxes and customs (21% of the total price (statue+shipping))...that, and the difference between the rewards programs (SS=5%, WETA=15% (and you can save more WETA $ when you use them), makes 31% the difference on the pase price.

Yes, for us European collectors, the Weta warehouse is such a blessing. Together with their top notch rewards program it really takes the sting out of their sometimes steep prices.

Of course someone is still paying those taxes, etc, I wonder if that could be Weta....
And, with the more local warehouse, shipping is cheaper too.

I notice people seem to compare the base price of a Weta vs Sideshow item, how about comparing the final total price and rewards.

In the end, maybe the price isn't as bad as one first thinks.

Of course someone is still paying those taxes, etc, I wonder if that could be Weta....
And, with the more local warehouse, shipping is cheaper too.

I notice people seem to compare the base price of a Weta vs Sideshow item, how about comparing the final total price and rewards.

In the end, maybe the price isn't as bad as one first thinks.

No, the pricing is not that good for either company.... :slap

If Sideshow did lose or let go of the license for the maquette line, that might also go for other scales as well. (After all, apart from the DROM and Sauron, we've gotten no indication they're planning any further PFs.) So they may be out of LOTR all together.

If that's true -- and I have no idea if it is -- the Sauron PF would be one hell of a way to check out of that property.

If Sideshow did lose or let go of the license for the maquette line, that might also go for other scales as well. (After all, apart from the DROM and Sauron, we've gotten no indication they're planning any further PFs.) So they may be out of LOTR all together.

If that's true -- and I have no idea if it is -- the Sauron PF would be one hell of a way to check out of that property.

You almost get this sense, the the DROM and Sauron piece are their goodbye to Middle Earth.

Right? I know they've got a Hobbit license, but they've ground to a halt on LOTR stuff. Nothing past Sauron has been announced or put up for pre-order. Plus, a number of LOTR pieces from the maquette line have been lingering in stock for a long time now ...

... You just get a feeling. :(

Right? I know they've got a Hobbit license, but they've ground to a halt on LOTR stuff. Nothing past Sauron has been announced or put up for pre-order. Plus, a number of LOTR pieces from the maquette line have been lingering in stock for a long time now ...

... You just get a feeling. :(

If they did a proper Fellowship I bet none of the fellowship pieces would be in stock

Back