Weta LOTR environments coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually for me, I'd like them to revisit the following due to its bad-ass nature:
1) Cirith Ungol
2) Black Gates

Hey, how about a Weta version of Barad-Dur??? I think that would be my most hoped for environment!

Anyone with me on this?

Not really. The Danbury Mint released a fantastic rendition already.

As Radagaster mentioned, Cirith Ungol and Black Gate would be better received. A new Orthanc/Isengard is a must, as well!

As Radagaster mentioned, Cirith Ungol and Black Gate would be better received. A new Orthanc/Isengard is a must, as well!

Have the Danbury Mint version myself (along with Minas Tirith) and they are great. I agree, an Orthanc/Isengard is a must. The Black Gate would be cool as well. I would also hope for a Rivendell environment.

Rivendell and Bag End can come under the guise of when The Hobbit movie comes out. All the other ones mentioned may only have screentime from the LOTR films.

Makes me wonder if we get to see the Galadhrim tree in The Hobbit . . .

Speaking as one who owns both of the Danbury pieces, they are OK, but even the tiny little SS/Weta Minas Tirith beats the pants off the larger Danbury one as far as looking like the model used in the film.

I'd love to see the same Weta excellence applied to Barad Dur (not sure how/if they'd handle the 'eye' issue, however).

A new Orthanc/Isengard is a must, as well!
Wait, no Barad Dur--but a 2nd Orthanc? :)

Beren, I have to disagree with you. The original Balrog's value has never been affected at all by the "Flame of Udin" or otherwise known as "Baby Balrog" release. The original Balrog is THE grail of the SS/Weta line. Even the releases of Sideshow's busts, dios and even Toybiz's huge Balrog did absolutely nothing to effect the value of the original Balrog.

Hard to prove either way. The Balrog at one point went for $2500. Now you can expect $1500-1800.

Has the secondary market value gone down because the craze has died down or because collectors have more than one option in having a Balrog displayed? Or a combo of both?

I know the Balrog of Moria has lost some of its 'exclusive' feeling for me because the Daddy Rog is not the only Balrog out there, which it was at first. And for the better part of two years, I think.

Beren

Ok, then make the new piece exactly the same size but provide it with a different base design, as I mentioned above, so it's from a different time frame.

They can even make the ES slightly larger than the original Orthanc as well, so as not to take away from that one.

They are different enough in that they would compliment each other, if anything.

The idea that there is to never be another Orthanc/Isengard piece because of the original release is pretty limiting. It would be like Sideshow never releasing their LOTR busts because SS/Weta had already done those characters as busts. We got reboots (in slightly larger scale) of many of the same characters and no one complained.

Also, people have been asking for a new Barad-Dur as well but that would affect the Danbury Mint's value, I suppose. But I certainly wouldn't mind in the least. (and the DM BD is amazing, by the way.)

Just hoping that a new Orthanc/Isengard is a possibility, as it is such an important piece of Middle Earth architecture that has been very limited covered.

The comparison of SSW busts and Sideshow busts is tenuous. First, it's a different scale. Secondly, the characters are positioned differently and at times wear different clothing.

With Orthanc being the exact same building, it's a harder sell. I think your idea of a lush environment around Orthanc is a good one. But to have the walls of Orthanc included, Orthanc itself would have to be the size of a matchstick. I believe the diameter of the ring was 1 kilometer?

Maybe if it was twice the size... wonder how that would go over. :)

And I am completely happy with DM's Barad-Dur. I'm not sure how Weta would top that one. It'd have to be something for me to consider buying the Weta version.

Beren

Speaking as one who owns both of the Danbury pieces, they are OK, but even the tiny little SS/Weta Minas Tirith beats the pants off the larger Danbury one as far as looking like the model used in the film.

Have to completely disagree with you there. I have both and I am/was geek enough to at one point pore over both models and compare them to pictures of the Minas Tirith model used in filming (the 'bigature').

The SSW version is a fantastic accomplishment due to the tiny size but the DM one is MORE ACCURATE. The Houses of the Dead alone is an indicator.

Beren

Hard to prove either way. The Balrog at one point went for $2500. Now you can expect $1500-1800.

Has the secondary market value gone down because the craze has died down or because collectors have more than one option in having a Balrog displayed? Or a combo of both?

I know the Balrog of Moria has lost some of its 'exclusive' feeling for me because the Daddy Rog is not the only Balrog out there, which it was at first. And for the better part of two years, I think.

Beren

Several non-AP Balrogs went in the $3500 range in August of 2004 and I think if you take a good look at what 99% of LOTR statues were selling for then and compare them to now it is crystal clear that once the craze died down virtually all [with the exception of a few] LOTR statues and busts have dropped significantly in value.

Last edited:
Weta have said it's very hard to sculpt trees - so would they try a whole load of them in a new Isengard? How about a flooded Isengard! Weta are good with the water-look - Watcher in the water, Bucklebury ferry, Argonath...
And if Weta do a Barad Dur, i'd sell my DM one. The bigger MT though is obviously better. Now if Weta done one on the same scale...

I'd love to see the same Weta excellence applied to Barad Dur (not sure how/if they'd handle the 'eye' issue, however).

Wait, no Barad Dur--but a 2nd Orthanc? :)

I disagree regarding the SS/Weta Minas Tirith. It was nice when it was released, as a companion piece / bookend to Minas Morgul, but the Danbury Mint Minas Tirith blows it away in terms of size, detailing and paint apps. DM's MT is not perfect but you can actually follow the path that Gandalf/Pippin took as they entered the White City in RotK. Minas Morgul certainly needs a revisit in a larger scale as well.

I would purchase a Weta Barad-Dur as well, but it would not be in my top 10 want list because of the DM offering.

Orthanc/Isengard is one of the most iconic environments in Middle Earth. To have the original piece be the only representation available would be selling themselves and the fans short. The original had an ES of 750 but many were returned because of damage, making the final ES even smaller.

Beren

The craze has been dying for several years now. The original Balrog has dropped in supposed value just like many of the other pieces in the line. It's been an across-the-board drop. As I mentioned before, the original is THE grail in the entire SS/Weta line and will always hold that place regardless of what is released elsewhere. The only thing that could supplant it would be for Weta or Sideshow to release a Balrog vs Gandalf at the bridge of Kazadum (spelling) dio. If everything were to click there, sculpt, paint apps and ES-wise, I can see that piece becoming "another" grail.

The comparison of SSW busts and Sideshow busts is tenuous. First, it's a different scale. Secondly, the characters are positioned differently and at times wear different clothing.

With Orthanc being the exact same building, it's a harder sell. I think your idea of a lush environment around Orthanc is a good one. But to have the walls of Orthanc included, Orthanc itself would have to be the size of a matchstick. I believe the diameter of the ring was 1 kilometer?

Maybe if it was twice the size... wonder how that would go over. :)

And I am completely happy with DM's Barad-Dur. I'm not sure how Weta would top that one. It'd have to be something for me to consider buying the Weta version.

Beren

Good point regarding the scale size if the walls were to be included. Perhaps just the paths and lines of trees would be enough?

The scale of the busts may be different but they are still "busts" of many of the same characters. The scale is simply a probable license technicallity. But using the different scale argument, let them release a new Orthanc/Isengard in a different scale (preferrably larger) and include a pre-TTT base of trees/paths as an added difference to the original.

Weta have said it's very hard to sculpt trees - so would they try a whole load of them in a new Isengard? How about a flooded Isengard! Weta are good with the water-look - Watcher in the water, Bucklebury ferry, Argonath...
And if Weta do a Barad Dur, i'd sell my DM one. The bigger MT though is obviously better. Now if Weta done one on the same scale...

There is no need to sculpt entire trees in that scale. Simply the trunks and a bush-like top to provide the impression of trees when viewed from above, the most common viewing angle. The smaller the scale, the less amount of detail required. I'm almost sure they were referring to a larger scale tree such as the ones found in the Amon Hen or Buckleberry Ferry pieces.

The flooded Isengard is very similar to what's found on the original Orthanc base, though.

But I can see that we're all on the same page here. We all want more environments from Weta, for sure. It's not like they said they would be releasing 3 pieces and we're trying to argue for certain pieces.

Back