Weta LOTR environments coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's the one! Another Orthanc has got to be one of the MOST REQUESTED environment pieces since the original was only 750 pieces and is now well over $1000 on Evil-Bay! Let's keep our fingers crossed...

:D

I wonder how that would work, because if they make another Orthanc it would upset the collectors who DO have this item and a lot of them have paid big bucks for it... And to release another incarnation of the same environment would surely devalue the original release.

The Balrog is available in multiple executions now and the original Daddy Rog's collectibility HAS suffered for it...

I guess it could be done with the outer wall, Orthanc would be tiny however, a tiny little black stick, so there'd be no conflict there.

Beren

The Balrog is available in multiple executions now and the original Daddy Rog's collectibility HAS suffered for it...

I guess it could be done with the outer wall, Orthanc would be tiny however, a tiny little black stick, so there'd be no conflict there.

Beren

Beren, I have to disagree with you. The original Balrog's value has never been affected at all by the "Flame of Udin" or otherwise known as "Baby Balrog" release. The original Balrog is THE grail of the SS/Weta line. Even the releases of Sideshow's busts, dios and even Toybiz's huge Balrog did absolutely nothing to effect the value of the original Balrog.

As for a new Orthanc, I'm all for it. Several options that I can think of:

1) Make it a pre-war "Isengard", complete with trees and paths at the base.

2) Make it a "The Two Towers" version, with the base lit up by the orc furnaces and have a tiny Gandalf imprisoned at the top!

Oh and make it bigger, not smaller. The original "Orthanc" is what it is. It won't devalue at all. It was even used in the film, making it extra special to collectors.

Weta, PLEASE give us a new Isengard!!!!

While I agree that the Daddy Rog was not affected at all by the Udun piece, or subsequent releases from other companies like the GG bust, or the various releases from Sideshow themselves----- the original Orthanc would definitely be devalued by a larger 'reboot'.

It would like the daddy Balrog to baby Balrog equation in reverse.

Ok, then make the new piece exactly the same size but provide it with a different base design, as I mentioned above, so it's from a different time frame.

They can even make the ES slightly larger than the original Orthanc as well, so as not to take away from that one.

They are different enough in that they would compliment each other, if anything.

The idea that there is to never be another Orthanc/Isengard piece because of the original release is pretty limiting. It would be like Sideshow never releasing their LOTR busts because SS/Weta had already done those characters as busts. We got reboots (in slightly larger scale) of many of the same characters and no one complained.

Also, people have been asking for a new Barad-Dur as well but that would affect the Danbury Mint's value, I suppose. But I certainly wouldn't mind in the least. (and the DM BD is amazing, by the way.)

Just hoping that a new Orthanc/Isengard is a possibility, as it is such an important piece of Middle Earth architecture that has been very limited covered.

Beren, I have to disagree with you. The original Balrog's value has never been affected at all by the "Flame of Udin" or otherwise known as "Baby Balrog" release. The original Balrog is THE grail of the SS/Weta line. Even the releases of Sideshow's busts, dios and even Toybiz's huge Balrog did absolutely nothing to effect the value of the original Balrog.

2) Make it a "The Two Towers" version, with the base lit up by the orc furnaces and have a tiny Gandalf imprisoned at the top!

Oh and make it bigger, not smaller. The original "Orthanc" is what it is. It won't devalue at all. It was even used in the film, making it extra special to collectors.

The first release Balrog's value has certainly dropped a ton but I don't know that it can be attributed to a subsequent release. The recession is likely to blame in part. The last undamaged one on eBay sold for 1300 and change, this is down a ton from its peak. But how does the larger size Duel of Light and Fire figure into the pricing scheme? That piece was large unlike the baby 'Rog version. I can't see how having three Balrogs does not detract from the value of the daddy 'Rog. if a single collector becomes suddenly satisfied with the newer version while pursuing the older version then the value of the latter is affected.

I have to agree. No statue or bust created so far has ever affected the value of the original Balrog. No, they are not selling for the $3000+ they once briefly sold for, but that had everything to do with the peaking of the LOTR craze and nothing to do with the "baby rog".

I also think a "pre-war" Orthanc is a great idea. Not only does it give those who don't have $1000 [which quite frankly it isn't worth IMO] to spend on one, a chance to aquire it, but I imagine many who already own the original Orthanc will want to own one and display the two as "before and after" pieces.

but I imagine many who already own the original Orthanc will want to own one and display the two as "before and after" pieces.
Yes! Maybe they should include the walls...
Also, owning the balrog dio has in no way lessened my wanting of the original rog!!

I would kill to get a chance at an affordable orthanc. I missed the original, and would love some version of it to be mine.. *drools*

would anyone like to enlighten me on why orthanc is so ridiculously over priced :)

would anyone like to enlighten me on why orthanc is so ridiculously over priced :)

The problem with the older weta stuff is that it was collected by "real" collectors and not the thousands of flippers we have now. Thats why the olders pieces are so hard to find and worth so much. But also, their top of the line work.

Top of the line work, and something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it, so it can't be overpriced, otherwise no-one would buy it.

It is the ONLY Weta piece to actually appear in the films too, really in THE films; they used the Orthanc piece in the background shots for ROTK with Merry and Pippin. Oh, and it's badass. :drool

:lecture

Hey, how about a Weta version of Barad-Dur??? I think that would be my most hoped for environment!

Anyone with me on this?

Back