WETA Line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'd get a few for sure. Several outstanding pieces in this line. The RWOS, Sauron, ML, Original Rog (if you can afford it), Cave Troll (again if you can afford it), Sam and Bill (another exspensive one), Theoden, Easterling, GTG, Legolas/Gimli, GTW/SF, Elessar are all pieces I'd take a look at myself.

Be very very careful. Getting into the Sideshow/Weta line is extremely addictive. To be sure, there were some misses, but overall a beautiful series of pieces and it would seem that the more you get, the more you want. If I hadn't been collecting since the beginning, there would be no way I could have afforded as much as I have. If your resources are limited, suggest doing a very careful look at all the ones put out and pick out just a couple or two as representatives of the movies/collectible line to tide you over and keep haunting these boards/e-bay and grab them when they pop up. Otherwise, it can be ruinous to your budget. I also agree that going to Toytracker is a good idea to get a fair idea of what these pieces are going for. Good luck!:ring

Yeah, I look everyday on the bay but I dont have an account and the guy who buys for me is on vacation in mexico :)

I saw legolas and gimli on horse too and boy, that looked very good too.

My top three list is:

Legolas and Gimli on horse
Gandalf on shadowfax(gandalf is my fav char and I ahve him in PF too, #63/500)
Nazgûl on steed

Yeah im late to the show also but as well as the Morgul Witch King the 3 u mentioned are the ones that i would love to buy :)

I received years ago the Mini Smeagol Bust and a on a trip to Middle Earth-NZ in late '06 picked up the Battle Troll of Mordor.

Not until recently though have i decided to collect a few more LOTR pieces.

I just received my first SS order of Lurtz PF :D and locally bought the No Admittance Bookends and a Viggo signed ROTK 3 Film Cell as i think the collections that include a bit of art look the classiest.

Was unsure whether to buy Gandalf PF cause from the pics he looks like hes been spending just a bit to much time down the beach with that tan of his. :confused: Wondering what does he look like in the flesh so to speak? ;)

i love my gandalf pf... much better in person, go w/ the exclusive.

Hehe, I love him.

But maybe all three would be a possible buy in the future, need to see what Mesascott can offer me first though :)

Oh shoot, my name came up. My last round of Ebay auctions is completing, this Sunday I think. To be totally honest right now, prices aren't where they were at when I started collecting WETA maybe 2 years ago. On a good number of these busts, I've taken a loss. Overall, I'm about even. Now is a good time to buy the less popular busts, if you can find them in auction style, cause they seem to be going for less than toytracker prices. I'm sure its related to the economy/oil/Hillary crisis we are all facing.

As far as what I can offer, I'm going to let the auctions complete. I already paid the increased listing fees :monkey4 and there was already a thread about (started by me) about cutting auctions early, and I probably wont do that again, unless you offer me $6900. :lol

Anything LOTR is my favorite line. WETA did a great job and started it all. SS and GG are both doing a great follow on. I'm not one of those to say SS > WETA or WETA > SS. I'm just glad of all the options. It's impossible to collect them all, now matter how hard you try.

You should DEFINITELY collect the weta-line too, there are so much gorgeous pieces! WARNING: When you start collecting them, you won't be able to stop!

Haha, very fun to read your replies and it helps me alot!

But some pieces are downright just too pricey, those items will have to wait.

Regarding Gandalf PF, he is a true masterpiece. Wouldn't trade him for nothing, not even a RWOS/Balrog.

i have been collecting weta for the past 2 years now. i have collected almost all statues except the ones that are really hard to reach.

Balrog, Cave Troll, Witchking, RWOS, Orc Archer, etc.. These are all amazing pieces. If you decide to go in to this line. start with the big pieces. The reason I'm saying this is; Sideshow will make all the characters in PF Form. So by the time you have few Weta pieces in hand and see that Sideshow is doing the same characters in PF format, you can sell Wetas easily, at least for the price you paid for them. But if you start with less valued Weta pieces, ( such as legolas, berseker, arwen, haradrim soldier etc... ) you will definitly lose some money when you want to sell them in the future.

I hope i was clear. my suggestion is wait for a while for Sideshow to announce few more piecs from LOTR. But if you really wanna start so badly, start with Stone Trolls and Bilbo statue. Their value is on an ascent. It can be more harder to get them after the Hobbit Movie.

I started with the Bilbo statue too and that just drove me to addiction when I saw the detailing, the colour, the quality....just little things like the pattern on his waistcoat and the fact he's holding the ring behind his back....small details that were a Weta trademark.
Agree with going for the cheap ones first. The Beserker is one of the best statues sculpted and is affordable.
I never liked the idea of owning busts over full statues either, but now I have them all! The highlights for me are the Moria orc swordsman, uruk soldier (Only Weta representation of an armoured Helms Deep uruk). Theoden is a good likeness as is the Gandalf The White bust, which many see as the best likeness to the actor. I also like the Mouth of Sauron as he also got no statue which is a shame as that would have been my favourite of the lot. Many people don't, but I personally love all of the hobbit busts :)
There's nothing better than collecting pieces made by the people who sculpted the creatures and locations for the films. True pieces of art and ones that will live on for a long time.

There's nothing better than collecting pieces made by the people who sculpted the creatures and locations for the films. True pieces of art and ones that will live on for a long time.

you explained it very well my friend.:clap that's why i will keep my wetas forever.

Lovely words in my ears!

Im not so fond of the hobbit, just the book. But I'll see what I can afford.

I think there are some things which were really nice and which were affordable these days too.......
start f.e. with Morgul Lord and Gandalf on Shadowfax - then you own two of the very best pieces in likeness and sculpting - and you may get them for 300 together !
and if you like those then you can start with collecting some of the "bigger ones" like RWOS were you spend double money for only one statue......even if the RWOS is one of the best pieces ever and a grail in the line :D

I needed to trim down my SS/Weta collection drastically, but I know for a fact that I will never give up my Sauron statue. It's 24" of pure evil.

Back