Statue WETA Fellowship Of The Ring Set 1

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: WETA Fellowship dio

I like this dio set and it's growing on me...I think it is overpriced at 600 for the set of 3 but I would get 90 back in Weta Dollars....I do think it is a nice cute set though

I got the first part yesterday and to be honest I'm disappointed. I know it would be small but I got the Gandalf The Grey 1:6 Weta Hobbit also and ..... well ..... this set looks and feels like tin soldiers compared to Gandalf. And likeliness is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy of - Gandalf is sort of ok, but Bilbo and Legogas - oh my :monkey2 -my Bilbo looks nothing like the picture on Weta's site. Gandalf is $250 and this is $200. If it was $50 it would be ok - at $200 - no way. I had planned to get the other two parts to get a comnplete fellowship but I'm not wasting $400 on the last two parts.

But the Gandalf 1:6 is really good and worth the $250.

I got the first part yesterday and to be honest I'm disappointed. I know it would be small but I got the Gandalf The Grey 1:6 Weta Hobbit also and ..... well ..... this set looks and feels like tin soldiers compared to Gandalf. And likeliness is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy of - Gandalf is sort of ok, but Bilbo and Legogas - oh my :monkey2 -my Bilbo looks nothing like the picture on Weta's site. Gandalf is $250 and this is $200. If it was $50 it would be ok - at $200 - no way. I had planned to get the other two parts to get a comnplete fellowship but I'm not wasting $400 on the last two parts.

But the Gandalf 1:6 is really good and worth the $250.

The one in the dio is Frodo, not Bilbo. :) That's why the likeness will really be way off if you compare it to the one on the Weta site (if you're referring to The Hobbit statue) coz that one is Bilbo.

The one in the dio is Frodo, not Bilbo. :) That's why the likeness will really be way off if you compare it to the one on the Weta site (if you're referring to The Hobbit statue) coz that one is Bilbo.

You're right ...... I'm confusing them 'cause I also got the Bilbo 1:6 Weta piece comming in a few days, maybe even tomorrow.

it's small but definitely amazing - can't wait for Set 2
:peace

fotrdio-large.jpg

fotrdio2-large.jpg

Me too. You know that US stuff has been off shore in port for a while, right? Dunno why, but wish they'd end the blockade....... :tap

Me too. You know that US stuff has been off shore in port for a while, right? Dunno why, but wish they'd end the blockade....... :tap

I saw someone mention that. Not sure what the hold up is but I want my stuff. :lol

Set 1 arrived today. It's really fantastic. This is something I've been waiting years for so the process to get them all is great to have started.

Just got set one...It's nice and cute as hell ...reminds me of something the Hallmark store would sell for 100 bucks or less...No rush to order next set though....I Will order set 2 when in stock in the spring...it wont be a sellout then...the three sets will look good together no doubt...good quality for its size too

Last edited:

Just got set one...It's nice and cute as hell ...reminds me of something the Hallmark store would sell for 100 bucks or less...No rush to order next set though....I Will order set 2 when in stock in the spring...it wont be a sellout then...the three sets will look good together no doubt...good quality for its size too

man that comparison to Hallmark is hardly the glowing endorsement but it looks like a perfect comparison. The piece does have that Xmas ornament look to it.

man that comparison to Hallmark is hardly the glowing endorsement but it looks like a perfect comparison. The piece does have that Xmas ornament look to it.

It's a nice set period...size + price are at different ends of the spectrum though...this should have been IMHO $100 and no more...I still like it except for price...I wish this was strictly L/E of say 1000....much better seen in person

Last edited:

Yeah 100 seems a better fit price wise, still this is basically the only hope of getting the iconic image.

Yeah 100 seems a better fit price wise, still this is basically the only hope of getting the iconic image.

at least I get 90 weta dollars back when buying the 3 sets

Tim's message from Weta (from Shadow and Flame forum):
Hi Everyone,

There appears to be some misunderstandings around the factors which impact on the pricing of sculptures. There seems to be a general perception that costs are mostly determined by the size of the sculpture.

In actual fact, the size of the sculpture is not nearly as significant as you might think. The size does impact on material costs and shipping costs. However our collectibles are hand made, not machine made. So the major impact on cost is actually determined by the labor cost of the sculptors and painters. The more complicated and skillful the sculpting and the more complicated and skillful the paint job, the higher the costs. In the case of The Fellowship of the Ring, the complexity is actually increased, due to the smaller size of the figures. It takes longer for us to get the painting accurate at this smaller size, than it does for larger figures. I would suggest this is one of the reasons why no one else has made the full Fellowship in one painted set before. So we actually believe the Fellowship of the Ring is incredibly good value.

In contrast, we have seen much larger sculpts on the market with relatively simple sculpt and paint jobs, and yet the prices are still very high ?

My intention in writing this note is simply to keep you informed on the reality of price vs size. The choices are entirely yours

Kind regards

Tim

Tim's message from Weta (from Shadow and Flame forum):

good item yes....great item yes...but value...It's a big no unless it was strictly L/E...sorry but not a chance...Weta's Gollum, Gandalf and Strider are good values...again I'm not in any way stating that this product was bad....only that price was high....same could be said for Barad-Dur...The item will be awesome no doubt the best, but it cost $50 more than Rivendell and Orthanc combined...The one thing I like is it's L/E 1000....that is a huge plus

Last edited:
Back