Weta balrog bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thing looks awesome. The Balrog may be my favourite movie monster of all time. I just re-watched FOTR and TT for those segments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got him finally! The balrog is huge! I have no idea where to put him but I’m really glad to have him. The lighting effect is so awesome
A4BCF0AB-7B01-4FBC-8DFD-5666CC59F009.jpegCD9E5C44-CD47-496D-A66C-05B31BCC0B41.jpeg1DC5D6B8-DBB1-42FA-9584-85CCABBC0D6B.jpeg0A3BC0F5-B7AF-4785-8DC1-8B5274FED6D6.jpeg

That looks great, maybe if timing was different I would have ordered this but it's good to see well put together items turn out awesome and selling out. Congrats to all picking this up.

Noticed this was in "low" stock on WETA's site for anyone who missed out and want to buy direct with/without flexpay. Not sure how long it has been up, but I thought it was sold out previously. Could be cancellations/returns or warehouse "finds"? Don't know if they have AP's of these or if WETA even uses that distinction...

Slight chance they may dump any remaining with a Black Friday deal or a reverse auction since they have been known to do that in the past. Can't test to see how many they have since they're limited to 2 per customer...

Gamble being a larger high dollar item (from Weta) in general, ToE and the last Balrog were underwhelming...

I do think the electronics on this one look pretty robust for the long haul.

So a year or so on, has anyone who bought this had any issues with the light up feature?

I heard some reports that early editions were starting to fail after only a few months. I emailed Weta and they appeared to acknowledge the problem. They said the following in their reply to me:

? Overall we had a small amount of failures, most related to the power supply (easily replaced) and a few with the solder connections to the LED?s (easy to repair).

For our 2nd (current) production run we implemented stricter testing & thermal cycling at the factory before passing QC and have had no issues to date.?

In Europe I can only get hold of production run 1 units so have so far stayed away from this despite it looking like a cool piece to own.

I don't use mine often but so far no issues here, and I haven't heard of anyone else having issues. I would check over at the weta forums though.

Back