Weathering

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LincolnGreen

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Having just bought the Yunsil Rick Grimes set, it's painfully obvious that I don't want him looking like he just stepped out of the changing room, so some serious weathering is in order.
I very much want to have a go at this myself and would very much appreciate some advice regarding techniques of ageing fabrics, leathers and boots etc.
Thanks in advance brothers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ever you're working on, make sure and ease into it. It's really easy to over do it on accident.
Washes and dry brushing are what i use mainly.
Washes will go into the details while dry brushing is more on the top so plan accordingly. Washes take patience. You have to slowly build up layers and they almost always dry less than what you see when applying so you have to build up layers.
An airbrush can be effective too.
If its real leather and not pleather or vinyl, very careful sanding can work but only if its real leather. Most are not, so dry brushing with a light color can give it that worn look without damaging the surface.

Experimenting is key when starting out.

What ever you're working on, make sure and ease into it. It's really easy to over do it on accident.
Washes and dry brushing are what i use mainly.
Washes will go into the details while dry brushing is more on the top so plan accordingly. Washes take patience. You have to slowly build up layers and they almost always dry less than what you see when applying so you have to build up layers.
An airbrush can be effective too.
If its real leather and not pleather or vinyl, very careful sanding can work but only if its real leather. Most are not, so dry brushing with a light color can give it that worn look without damaging the surface.

Experimenting is key when starting out.

Thanks Robbie, I appreciate you replying so quickly. I can't remember whether you ordered yunsil's Rick outfit but that's what I'm looking at doing.
So light sanding for 'wear and tear' and acrylic washes and dry brushing for 'dirt'?
Is there any kind of protector I can apply to the fabrics that will help should I need to wipe off any mistakes?
What do you reccomend I do to the jeans and boots?
Thanks in advance

Sanding only works on clothing that has a lighter color woven into it, like denim or in the case of leather, where the top is darker than the base. Dry-brushing is the paint equivalent to sanding. You are taking a lighter color and applying it just on the high points. This mimics the look of the material being worn without actually wearing down the surface. It also creates contrast which highlights the raised surfaces. We use this in theatrical painting to bring out the details of an object all the time. I call it "theatrisizing". A wash is usually darker than the base color and is heavily diluted. When applied, it goes into the low points. This creates a deeper look to the details. Now both of those examples are for hard surfaces and basically just bump the contrast of an object. Soft surfaces act differently. Try brushing is about the same but washes on fabric become more like dye becuase the material absorbs the color. And no, there is no erasing of washes on fabric. Unless you wash the garment before it dries which is not a good idea sometimes. Dirtying clothing is almost the opposite of what I just listed above. Things like dust and dirt often aren't totally on the surface but actually in the reassess. That's where an airbrush can be of benefit.
I am by no means an expert on this. There are tons of customizers here that are better than me. I just apply what I know from my other profession.
With all techniques, practice is the most important thing to do. Especially when working on one of a kind items. Also reference material is can be a great benefit especially when starting out. Instead of "creating" the effect, with research you are more or less replicating it which can be a lot easier. Definitely more accurate. Google images of the real thing and have them in front of you while you work.
Good luck.

Sanding only works on clothing that has a lighter color woven into it, like denim or in the case of leather, where the top is darker than the base. Dry-brushing is the paint equivalent to sanding. You are taking a lighter color and applying it just on the high points. This mimics the look of the material being worn without actually wearing down the surface. It also creates contrast which highlights the raised surfaces. We use this in theatrical painting to bring out the details of an object all the time. I call it "theatrisizing". A wash is usually darker than the base color and is heavily diluted. When applied, it goes into the low points. This creates a deeper look to the details. Now both of those examples are for hard surfaces and basically just bump the contrast of an object. Soft surfaces act differently. Try brushing is about the same but washes on fabric become more like dye becuase the material absorbs the color. And no, there is no erasing of washes on fabric. Unless you wash the garment before it dries which is not a good idea sometimes. Dirtying clothing is almost the opposite of what I just listed above. Things like dust and dirt often aren't totally on the surface but actually in the reassess. That's where an airbrush can be of benefit.
I am by no means an expert on this. There are tons of customizers here that are better than me. I just apply what I know from my other profession.
With all techniques, practice is the most important thing to do. Especially when working on one of a kind items. Also reference material is can be a great benefit especially when starting out. Instead of "creating" the effect, with research you are more or less replicating it which can be a lot easier. Definitely more accurate. Google images of the real thing and have them in front of you while you work.
Good luck.

Really appreciate that lengthy and clear reply Robbie.
So taking everything you've said on board my first stint of practice is going to be on some denim jeans which are quite dark but have a touch of a shine to them. Thus I think some light sanding is in order to dull them down and put a little wear on them.
Is there a particular grade of paper you recommend?

I hope its not late to reply but I tried a couple of techniques:

1) I soaked a shirt in mud water and then used water based paint to add specific sweat spots - This method was alright, the difficulty was just layering the colours to make the sweat look old and built up instead of looking like the shirt was just muddied today.

2) I used dry brush and dry paint - This method was time consuming and I did damage my expensive paintbrush going in an up and down motion but the worst part is I layered to much and there was no way to fix it.

3) I used my makeup - I used a combination of creamy stick eyeshadow and powder eyeshadow, it was actually easy and I control the pigmentation by just blowing off the excess colour off my brush. And the best part is that it is completely fixable, I just rub it in some makeup remover to fix any mistakes. However this method does transfer colours onto your hands a bit so be careful.

Back