WATCHMEN Movie Discussion (SPOILERS allowed)!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you're saying Watchmen is only narrowly above sucking? :rotfl

But if it got a 64 percent, wouldnt that mean that more people enjoyed the film then didnt? And that it does in fact have a Fresh rating?? How does that translate to the movie, in your words, getting "Trashed"?? Mabey you mean other sites???

Lets look at other sites...
IMDB- 8.0 out of 10 (after 63,000 votes)
Box office mojo- B average after 1200 votes (over 50 percent gave it an A)

Those are above average ratings, no where near the level your deflating the publics opinion of the movie to look like. If the number of people who enjoyed the film > the number the people that didnt, therefore the general opinion of the movie CAN NOT = Trashed

Unless you can you define trashed?? Is it a scientific term? An industry term I dont know about mabey?? Or just a biased adjective from someone who didnt personally like the movie and wants to speak for others to vindicate his opinion?

Last edited:
But if it got a 64 percent, wouldnt that mean that more people enjoyed the film then didnt?

I'm not quite sure that argument passed muster back in school. Yes, you got more right answers than wrong answers, but that's still a D- at the top of the page.

Lets look at other sites...
IMDB- 8.0 out of 10 (after 63,000 votes)
Box office mojo- B average after 1200 votes

The difference between these polls and Rotten Tomatoes is that these are self-selecting, which skews the results. Really I think the box office performance after opening weekend says all that needs to be said about public response to this film, which basically boiled down to telling their friends not to waste their money on it.

This is one of those things I don't think I'll ever understand about fans. I love Donnie Darko. It tanked at the box office. I would never go around trying to spin it as popular and well liked on a message board, because it quite clearly is neither of those things. But that's irrelevant, because I like it. Well newsflash: 64% positive reviews is not good; Watchmen's box office trajectory is not good; word of mouth is not good.

Stop acting like this is football and you have to defend your team to the death even if they have a horrible season. It just gets silly. :)

I'm not quite sure that argument passed muster back in school. Yes, you got more right answers than wrong answers, but that's still a D- at the top of the page.

The difference between these polls and Rotten Tomatoes is that these are self-selecting, which skews the results. Really I think the box office performance after opening weekend says all that needs to be said about public response to this film, which basically boiled down to telling their friends not to waste their money on it.

This is one of those things I don't think I'll ever understand about fans. I love Donnie Darko. It tanked at the box office. I would never go around trying to spin it as popular and well liked on a message board, because it quite clearly is neither of those things. But that's irrelevant, because I like it. Well newsflash: 64% positive reviews is not good; Watchmen's box office trajectory is not good; word of mouth is not good.

Stop acting like this is football and you have to defend your team to the death even if they have a horrible season. It just gets silly. :)
But Donnie Darko is pretty popular and well liked thanks to home video.:lol:lol:lol

Hold on....I dont quite get what you're saying....we shouldnt enjoy the movie?
Its a fact it sucks? Cuz i thought that was an opinion.

And last time I checked, critics had opinions....and I dont have to agree with them. They can hate a movie until kingdom come, but its not going to effect me personally.

Sorry you didnt like the movie. But it happend, and thats it.

Most people have never even heard of Donnie Darko. Sometimes you have to shut off the geek echo chamber and spend some time in the real world. :)

You said you would never try to spin it as well liked on a message board, not the real world.:lol:lol:lol

You said you would never try to spin it as well liked on a message board, not the real world.:lol:lol:lol

You *know* he MEANT that he would never come on a message board and try to spin DD as popular in the real world (obviously it's popular on message boards like this one ;)) That means, he would never argue that the majority of people in the real world like it, much less have even seen it or know it exists, no matter how much he personally loves the movie (even with DVD sales/rentals, it's still not very widely known). Let's face it - geekdom, even while gaining some ground in the past few years, is still a very small group - and personally, I prefer it that way... better friendships and conversations that way :)

Ultimately this means that arguing that Watchmen is popular or well-liked by a majority of people is silly... because it is neither of those things. Yes, a majority of internet users who care about rating a film on IMDB or BOMojo like it. But that majority of an already small percentage of movie-goers (63,000 in the WHOLE WORLD is pretty tiny) is a MINUTE percentage, no where even close to a majority. Plus, it only takes into account one specific demographic - internet users who care enough and take the time to rate movies. Personally I have never in my life rated a movie either on IMDB or BOMojo - and I watch a ton of movies.

If YOU like a film, that's what really matters - who cares about the box office or popularity. His point is that coming on a message board and arguing that the MAJORITY of people like it is completely false. If the majority of everyone liked it, it wouldn't have dropped nearly 70% from its 1st to 2nd weekends and would be seeing a brisk repeat-viewing business. It's not. Many people went home and told their friends/family not to bother going to see it. End of argument about 'popularity' or that the majority of people thought it was good.

Again, nothing against those who love this film AT ALL. It's just a fact... no need to get defensive about it :duff Let's face it, no matter how bad or good the movie turned out, it was never destined to reach something like The Lord of the Rings status. Like my original point, it's just to bleak and dreary for the masses.

Last edited:
Some liked it, others didnt. Move on. Who cares?

Why are we even discussing this?

Maybe because that is the whole point of the thread? :dunno

I liked the movie and could care less what others think. That being said if I didn't like the movie I wouldn't waste my time trying persuade people not to like it of constantly posting in this thread to bash it either.

I dont think so....I dont care what critics, or people have to say....I thought we were discussing the film. Not the popularity of it.

And i'm talking about, talking about "Well, most people didnt like it!" and not Well, "I didnt like it"....and your own opinions.

Well, I dont see millions of people posting here....

I'm talking about how silly it is to discuss the film's popularity, weather most people hated it or not. I dunno.

Well, I dont see millions of people posting here....

I'm talking about how silly it is to discuss the film's popularity, weather most people hated it or not. I dunno.

I agree. Hence why I have decided to just ignore those negative comments. Could care less what the film snobs think. I liked the movie.

But you used the same supposed "public opinions" and "numbers" to advertise and vindicate your opinion that the movie sucked first. That seems pretty hypocritical. I was just using the same numbers and showing a positive positive spin to show you that your opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things, esp. on the internet, and neither does a supporters opinion. You like it cool, if not keep it moving.

Last edited:
Back