WATCHMEN Comic Prequels?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Ugh. Although this has been rumored for a while.

With Paul Levitz stepping down over at DC, it would seem the desire to keep WATCHMEN a solitary work is leaving with him.

Gamma Squad the other day reported that we may have more WATCHMEN on the horizon. They had this to say:

Paul Levitz did not allow any Watchmen sequel projects during his tenure as president/publisher of DC Comics. He believed the fans, Alan Moore, and Dave Gibbons would all have disapproved. Since Levitz is stepping down, and Watchmen became DC’s #1 selling comic after the movie’s release, you can guess what’s coming next.

And the following was from Bleeding Cool, which has a little more to say:

I understand now that this [Watchmen sequel] is considered a pet project of Dan DiDio, SVP-Executive Editor. That he is determined to impress new bosses by building on DC’s biggest selling comic book of all time with multiple prequel comic miniseries and spinoff ongoing projects.

I understand that both Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons have to be offered first refusal before any of these titles could be published. But if they don’t want to work on them themselves (and Alan Moore is never going to agree), DiDio has been sounding out people who might be willing to take on the task. […] In contrast, not only would Levitz not allow any new Watchmen stories but even the video game was restricted to material in the graphic novel and film, nothing brand new was allowed to be invented.

While some creators are reticent, the argument goes if there are a number of Watchmen spinoff projects, any blame or shame can be spread on many shoulders. The sales are expected to be massive, whatever the hardcore fanboy reaction and such expected sales benefits will be shared amongst the creative teams. Despite differences with Moore, Levitz has held fast to the commitment that the comic is the comic is the comic.

Something tells me Alan Moore is going to be SUPER SUPORTIVE of all this…right?

Personally I would like to see what they can do, though ultimately I expect that it will all just pale in comparison to the original and be shredded on the boards

Prequel to 300...sequel to watchmen...no new ideas DC? trying to sell old wine in new bottle...or in this case, just cheap plain water in a shinny plastic container maybe... Come on...bring on the 300s and Watchmens of this decade

i would love more stories with the watchmen characters, but it is basically career suicide as it would be almost imposssible to live up to...so much so people dont want them to try.

As long as they are throwaway side stories, i say why not? No different than videogame plots etc. They will never affect the actual WATCHMEN book. It is an untouchable classic now. These will be forgotten in a couple of months..

As long as they are throwaway side stories, i say why not? No different than videogame plots etc. They will never affect the actual WATCHMEN book. It is an untouchable classic now. These will be forgotten in a couple of months..

I agree with the saying "Nothing ventured nothing gained." The books / stories could be epic or a total failure. Either case they don't tarnish the original piece. What is the harm? Don't agree with their choice, then do not support the effort.

Prequels and Sequels have a tendancy to tarnish the original....ask George Lucas. The wrong Prequel sets up a strange history for the character and anything done post Watchmen as a sequel would water down the ending of the original. There is potential for disaster. I would more interested in reading sidestories about original character who were contained within the Watchmen universe even internationally....it'd be interesting to see if other costumed heroes where working illegally or how internationally they dealt with Veidt's plan...

Prequels and Sequels have a tendancy to tarnish the original....ask George Lucas. The wrong Prequel sets up a strange history for the character and anything done post Watchmen as a sequel would water down the ending of the original. There is potential for disaster. I would more interested in reading sidestories about original character who were contained within the Watchmen universe even internationally....it'd be interesting to see if other costumed heroes where working illegally or how internationally they dealt with Veidt's plan...

Totally agree with Mike here. Do spin-offs but not prequels/ sequels. And definitely not when the original creative team is not behind it. You know what...Do a Watchmen multiverse thing...and then screw up the original characters..and give that version of earth an obscure numerical title...that way we, the fans of the original masterpiece, will be at peace

Prequels and Sequels have a tendancy to tarnish the original....ask George Lucas.

I think it is more in the eye of the beholder. George has prequels, sequels, extended universes etc. introducing new stories, characters going their own direction affecting the major story line.

I enjoyed aspects of each and I been disappointed with aspects of each but none affected my love for the original piece. I read / watch hoping each new adventure adds something to the story if not, it is hardly the end of the world.

I enjoy different takes on established stories while other people do not want the original story altered. Everyone knows the Batman or Spiderman saga but how many times do we need to read / watch it happen? Each new director, writer offers a different take on the original version. Rami had a different take on Spiderman which was decent, Burton and Nolan had different take on Batman which each pulled off successfully altering the original story. Comics, cartoons and tv offered countless versions as well some hit and miss. I still have love for the original stories from Lucas (Star Wars), Kane / Finger (Batman) and Lee (Spiderman).

Sometimes good things happen adding to the story, sometimes not. All in the eye of the beholder.

jesus-facepalm-facepalm-jesus-epic-demotivational-poster-1218659828.jpg

Interesting, but do you think the prequels have really tarnished A New Hope, or The Empire Strikes Back? Especially after a few years?
I think lucas can (and probably will) throw out any old ____ for years. But the originals eventually become even more special.

I honestly do. I always imagined, especially from Lucas' original detailing during interviews long before the prequels, the Jedi more like Samurai, stoic, very monk like. The prequels portrayed them more as peacekeepers, a kind of intergalactic police force or big brother especially the way they were feared. Anakin used to be described as fearless, wreckless, the best pilot in the galaxy. The prequels turned him into a whiny kid who grew up into a headstrong teenager who never lived up to the hype. It was hard to connect Vader to prequel Anakin. Boba went from a cult fanboy hero that was mysterious into a clone of an established Bounty Hunter which while I love Jango, still turned him into a watered down version. There are tons of examples of things that were changed after viewing the prequels in relation to the original trilogy for the positive or negative.

The originals are special but just going off of the prequels, expanded universe, cartoons...its all changed since I was a kid in 1983 just imagining where it'd go.

Back