Was faramir a poor choice?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Faramir was an excellent choice . He showed that SSC was committed to the line (at the time) and that they would make secondary characters. He was executed extremely well, although the face paint was a bit inconsistent.

Even if Saruman or Gimli had filled that spot in the release, I'm sure we'd be in the same place as we are now.

What the heck? When did I say Faramir killed the line? I never said that, nor did I mean that, I meant to say knowing we are only going to get these Seven figures how many people would of preferred someone else besides Faramir. I sure know I would of. Again, I'm not saying Faramir killed the line.

I personally agree that there was a combination of factors that "killed tha lien" but I think one of the most important ones was the lack of baddies, I insist that releasing the Rinwraith would jump-start this line in a second... specially since people would buy more than one...

This line is amazing!!

DSC06949.jpg

This thread just goes to show we can't win either way :lol Some of you may remember the huge (HUGE) uproar when the Weta line ended and Faramir didn't get a 1/6th scale statue representation in the line. This was a way for Sideshow to help out in that regard.

And maybe I'm blind, but I have the Faramir production figure and think it's awesome. We also gave one to David Wenham at the last ORC con and he was super impressed - I guess he's not used to having figures made of him ;)

Regardless, it definitely wasn't Faramir - it was a combo of factors that just can't be overcome at the moment, due mostly to the economy. So come on, where are the Faramir-philes out there who will stand with me to defend his honor? :D

It was a shame when he didn't get made in the SSW line. SS making him was the right thing to do. Faramir wasn't the reason the line had problems or ended. Those factors came from a lot of other areas.

You might wanna look into Lasik.

LOL :lol

Well, I do have HORRIBLE vision when I'm not wearing glasses/contacts (seriously, like 20/1000 or something ridiculous like that - can't even see the biggest line on the eye charts!) But I'm terrified of Lasik. Any machine that shoots lasers into my eyes is one to avoid, IMO!

Sorry to bring up a sore subject re: Captain F... please forget I mentioned the Cap :eek:

Is there ANY chance the 1:6 line could come back say in about a year or two? An encore series with ROTK Aragorn, Gimli, Lurtz, Witchking, Gandalf the White and Saruman would be awesome.

I still say the Aragorn likeness got this line off to a bad start. I was pretty Gung Ho about this line until I got that figure. It turned me off right from the Ghett-Go.

Personally I don't think Faramir was a bad choice. I think the time frame in between releases and the bad paint job on some faramirs (i think mine turned out pretty well) hurt the line much more then the choice. At the time when I thought the line would throw out a couple of figures a year and last for a while it made sense to throw in some characters like faramir, theoden, eowyn and eomer as well as the villains.

If I had known it would only last for 7 figures I think I would have chosen a different character.

I must say Faramir is my favorite character so no way he wouldn't have been done.
Why wouldn't he as Boromir was also made ? He had a smaller role in the story.

To answer the original poster's question, if we knew that we were ONLY going to get 7 figures, then what would I want instead of Faramir?

My answer would have been a ringwraith or Saruman. Definitely a baddie.

As for the Faramir figure itself, everything was fantastic with this figures except the paint apps. Mine was horrible. But mine is now repainted and the figure looks amazing. (Same thing done to my Aragorn.)

As for the reason(s) for the line's demise, it certainly wasn't because of the Faramir figure. It's been discussed ad nauseum but in my opinion it was the extremely slow release schedule that just got many collectors jumping ship to other things. If the initial releases had come in the same pace as those in the Star Wars line, I think it would have been more successful. Throw some baddies and some armored figs into the mix and this would easily had been the finest 1/6th figure line being produced, bar none. It was the only line that I was determined to be a "completist" on.

But alas, this was not to be the case... :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

LOL :lol

Well, I do have HORRIBLE vision when I'm not wearing glasses/contacts (seriously, like 20/1000 or something ridiculous like that - can't even see the biggest line on the eye charts!) But I'm terrified of Lasik. Any machine that shoots lasers into my eyes is one to avoid, IMO!

Its actually not that bad... my wife got it done last year and I watched about 5 or 6 procedures on the waiting area monitor. Sure its a bit weird looking, but the whole thing only takes about 20 minutes.

Although my wife's vision didn't stay perfect for very long and will have to go back in for a touch-up.

I personally believed that to keep the long term viability of the line SSC needed to break up the Fellowship, otherwise they could have burned up the line too quickly. Granted, this was back when I thought maybe there was a chance for 4-6 figures a year!!!! LOL.

When that became apparent that we'd get more like 3 figures a year, then I think it was a poor choice. Personally, I think we wouldn't be having this conversation had SSC really tried to make more figures earlier in the line's life.

Its actually not that bad... my wife got it done last year and I watched about 5 or 6 procedures on the waiting area monitor. Sure its a bit weird looking, but the whole thing only takes about 20 minutes.

Although my wife's vision didn't stay perfect for very long and will have to go back in for a touch-up.

I got it done over 14 years ago and haven't regretted it one little bit. I will warn you that the 10-day healing period immediately after the surgery can be quite painful for some people, while others feel nothing at all. I had to have Valium prescribed for the pain.

The surgery itself takes no time and you feel absolutely nothing during the procedure. I believe it took 14 seconds for my right eye and 20 seconds for my left.

It's definitely worth it, though, even with the pain. It's kinda like when you get your wisdom teeth removed - it's a short period of discomfort for a lifetime of relief.

To answer the original poster's question, if we knew that we were ONLY going to get 7 figures, then what would I want instead of Faramir?

My answer would have been a ringwraith or Saruman. Definitely a baddie.

As for the Faramir figure itself, everything was fantastic with this figures except the paint apps. Mine was horrible. But mine is now repainted and the figure looks amazing. (Same thing done to my Aragorn.)

As for the reason(s) for the line's demise, it certainly wasn't because of the Faramir figure. It's been discussed ad nauseum but in my opinion it was the extremely slow release schedule that just got many collectors jumping ship to other things. If the initial releases had come in the same pace as those in the Star Wars line, I think it would have been more successful. Throw some baddies and some armored figs into the mix and this would easily had been the finest 1/6th figure line being produced, bar none. It was the only line that I was determined to be a "completist" on.

But alas, this was not to be the case... :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Who did you repaints? I'm thinking about having mine done.

Back