Warlock664's DC Direct 13" Customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently completed another Golden Age team in the DC Direct 13" format - THE SEVEN (actually EIGHT!) SOLDIERS OF VICTORY :

Star-Spangled Kid and Stripesy:

DSCF2039.jpg

DSCF2040.jpg

Green Arrow and Speedy:

DSCF2028.jpg

DSCF2029.jpg

The Crimson Avenger and Wing:

DSCF2042-1.jpg

DSCF2045.jpg

The Shining Knight:

DSCF2031.jpg

DSCF2033.jpg

The Vigilante:

DSCF2035.jpg

DSCF2036.jpg

I also recently completed "bashes" of the Earth-2/Golden Age Batman and Superman. Batman uses the Modern DCD version with a re-painted head and the suit, and the Classic version boots, gloves/hands, belt and cape.
The Superman is a modified Superman/Clark DCD figure with a Golden Age "S" logo and greying temples:

DSCF2048.jpg

DSCF2049.jpg

And here are pics of the Earth-2 heroes with their Earth-1 counterparts:

DSCF2052.jpg

DSCF2053.jpg

DSCF2055.jpg

Here's the Earth-2 Bat-Family:

DSCF2059.jpg

and the Earth-1 approximation:

DSCF2064.jpg

And finally, here are the E-1/E-2 Super-Families:

DSCF2062.jpg

I've been working on a number of DC Direct 13" customs over the last few months, and have managed to (mostly) complete seven: Wildcat, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Golden Age/Earth-2 Wonder Woman, Red Tornado, Mr Terrific, and 70's Supergirl.

First up is Wildcat; I've actually had him almost completed for a year, but was unhappy with my early attempts at his mask. I recently gave it another go, and am satisfied (for now) with the results. The costume was fairly simple:

DSCF2467.jpg

DSCF2469.jpg

Next, Hawkman and Hawkgirl. Hawkman was a bit of a challenge, thanks to the mask. I had previously completed an Earth-2 Hawkman, so I knew the costume and wings could be done, but the mask required some thought. I finally came up with a recipe that worked: a DCD Classic Batman head with the bat ears carved off, the wings from a Famous Covers Thor helmet, the ears from a DCD Martian Manhunter, and a hawk beak made using sculpy. I glued everything on and repainted to get the final result. The wings were made using the same formula I had previously used for Red Raven and the E2 Hawkman.
For Hawkgirl, I used a DCD Batgirl as a base, and made the helmet from vinyl. Not completely happy with the results, but it'll do. I still need to make a mace for Hawkman, and perhaps get a couple of shields for the pair:

DSCF2481.jpg

DSCF2483.jpg

DSCF2484.jpg

DSCF2485.jpg

DSCF2486.jpg

DSCF2487.jpg

DSCF2491.jpg

I needed a Golden Age/Earth-2 Wonder Woman for my Justice Society, so I modified a DCD Wonder Woman. I first substituted the smaller-breasted Zatanna body to distinguish her from the E1 Wonder Woman, keeping the existing DCD Wonder Woman head (which has been much maligned by collectors). I used the existing costume but removed the "WW" logo, adding a golden eagle in its place. I painted the belt white, added a hand-made skirt, and gave her new bracelets painted a metallic blue and a new lasso (I used the original for Wonder Girl).

DSCF2471.jpg

DSCF2472.jpg

DSCF2473.jpg

DSCF2474.jpg

Here's a shot of my Earth-2 versions of the big 3 :

DSCF2477.jpg

I used a DCD Dr Manhattan figure to produce the android Red Tornado (hey, don't worry, I may get to Ma Hunkle eventually!). The boots are repainted Shazam/Captain Marvel boots, the glove gauntlets are repainted Modern Batman gauntlets, and the rest is hand-made:

DSCF2500.jpg

DSCF2501.jpg

DSCF2502.jpg

DSCF2503.jpg

With the completion of Mr Terrific, I have nearly the entire Golden Age JSA in 13" form, with the exception of Johnny Thunder & Thunderbolt and the original Red Tornado, Ma Hunkle (though she never officially joined after crashing the party in ALL-STAR COMICS #3). Mr Terrific holds the distinction of shortest tenure of any Golden Age member, appearing in only one adventure (Wildcat was next, with two appearances). I used a Martian Manhunter body, Hal Jordan head, and the rest was hand made, including the boots:

DSCF2724.jpg

DSCF2718.jpg

DSCF2720.jpg

DSCF2719.jpg

While I thought the DC Direct 13" Supergirl was nice, the costume choice wasn't a particular favorite of mine. Growing up in the 1970's as I did, I'll always view the "hot pants" costume of that era as the definitive one (more so since that was the version Mego produced). I'd intended to customize that version since I started doing these DCD figures, and I finally took the time to do so.
The base figure is the standard DCD release with the boots and a modified cape and belt. I made the costume by hand, and I dyed the blue fabric to get the shade I wanted. I drew the logo by hand on some fabric patch and then painted it with acrylic paint. I will probably attempt to make a pair of slippers to more closely approximate the Mego costume, but for now the boots will do:

DSCF2734.jpg

DSCF2735.jpg

DSCF2737.jpg

DSCF2738.jpg

A pic of the DCD factory release with my customized version:

DSCF2743.jpg

As always, thanks for looking!

Finished a couple more DCD 13" customs.

First, from Roy Thomas' ALL-STAR SQUADRON, Liberty Belle:

DSCF2748.jpg

DSCF2750.jpg

DSCF2752.jpg

And Johnny Quick:

DSCF2756.jpg

DSCF2754.jpg

DSCF2757.jpg

DSCF2746.jpg

I also took the opportunity to take a group shot of the JSA; there are 4 factory releases in the group (Golden Age Green Lantern, GA Flash, Power Girl and Black Canary), 3 "kit bashed/modified" factory releases (GA Batman, GA Superman, and GA Wonder Woman), and 12 customs (I just realized, though, that the Star-Spangled Kid is missing from the group shot!) :

DSCF2758.jpg

DSCF2766.jpg

DSCF2768.jpg

I also made an entirely new costume for Aquaman to replicate his Golden Age look; new gauntlets/gloves painted yellow instead of green, a brighter orange tunic (though it looks faded in the pics due to my poor photography, it is actually a very bright orange), a less shiny green for the leggings, and the belt painted yellow instead of gold:

DSCF2772.jpg

DSCF2778.jpg

And with the original DCD release:

DSCF2783.jpg

really great stuff bro, love it all,,, very talented.,,,let me ask, i am thinking of doing a vintage flash wally, myself, can i ask where you got the parts?? thanks alot

really great stuff bro, love it all,,, very talented.,,,let me ask, i am thinking of doing a vintage flash wally, myself, can i ask where you got the parts?? thanks alot

Thanks! If your question is referring to my Wally West Kid Flash, the base is a DC Direct 1:6 Robin figure with the hair and hands repainted, the boots and head wings from a DCD Flash, and the rest was hand sewn by me.
If you wanted to make a Wally West Flash figure, I'd say the DCD SA Flash figure would be a good base to start from. I use DCD 13" figures as the base for all of my customs, though sometimes I use other 1:6 sources for various parts.

Ever since DC Direct released their 1:6 "Classic" Catwoman in purple jumpsuit, I've been wanting to redo her in her classic Golden Age purple dress (which she returned to wearing in the late bronze age). I used the DCD Classic Catwoman figure as the base, replacing her hands, and reworking a pair of Zatanna boots and a Black Canary belt. The rest - costume with cape and necklace - I made (I just realized I didn't take a pic of the DCD factory release next to my custom):

DSCF2799_zpsd3982e27.jpg

DSCF2800_zps07bc9022.jpg

DSCF2801_zps0aec11e4.jpg

I have also wanted to do the classic Bronze Age costume that Mego produced. I used a DCD Power Girl as the base, repainted the hair, repainted a pair of Black Canary boots, and used Classic Catwoman hands repainted. The rest of the costume was handmade, including the mask, which has yellow lenses in the eye holes (the tail is posable) :

DSCF2817_zps21ac0220.jpg

DSCF2819_zpsd9b8d407.jpg

DSCF2820_zps9d713510.jpg

DSCF2822_zps214e3875.jpg

And because I had to:

DSCF2815_zpsba72de8e.jpg

Ever since DC Direct released their 1:6 "Classic" Catwoman in purple jumpsuit, I've been wanting to redo her in her classic Golden Age purple dress (which she returned to wearing in the late bronze age). I used the DCD Classic Catwoman figure as the base, replacing her hands, and reworking a pair of Zatanna boots and a Black Canary belt. The rest - costume with cape and necklace - I made (I just realized I didn't take a pic of the DCD factory release next to my custom):

DSCF2799_zpsd3982e27.jpg

DSCF2800_zps07bc9022.jpg

DSCF2801_zps0aec11e4.jpg

I have also wanted to do the classic Bronze Age costume that Mego produced. I used a DCD Power Girl as the base, repainted the hair, repainted a pair of Black Canary boots, and used Classic Catwoman hands repainted. The rest of the costume was handmade, including the mask, which has yellow lenses in the eye holes (the tail is posable) :

DSCF2817_zps21ac0220.jpg

DSCF2819_zpsd9b8d407.jpg

DSCF2820_zps9d713510.jpg

DSCF2822_zps214e3875.jpg

And because I had to:

DSCF2815_zpsba72de8e.jpg

Hey just an FYI you have your timeline alittle off. The golden age costume is only got one slit on the right leg of her knee high dress, and she wears short purple boots with cuffs. this one is her bronze age 1970's-87. The red mask was her short lived mod silver age costume and then wore julie newmar costume and back to her bronze age look. she changed her look during mini series her sister's keeper and then jim ballent updated the bronze age look which is what dc direct passed as her classic look untill the late 90's which brings us to this motorcycle chick

it's so confusing eve dc comics messes up the timeline with her because she has been revamped so damn oftin

Last edited:
Back