Vintage Collectibles Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would be cool if someone who has the old catalogs could scan in some hi-rez pics for historical preservation.

I wouldn't say blind nostalgia...I'd say its the TRUTH!

Toys Arn't Us is not like it used to be (of course there are reasons for that).It will NEVER be like it was in the 80's (full of toys and never ever walking out empty handed)

We will NEVER see stores like Children's Palace,Lionel Kiddie City,KB Toys,Service Merchandise,or the GREAT SEARS Catalog ever again

Times don't always change for the good and those days will be missed. From the great times from my childhood of collecting some of the best properties of the 80's,properties that are still better than the crap we have hanging on the toy shelf today.The Internet is what has carried on the 80's properties into NEW awesome modern sculpts of today and is now truely the NEW TOYS R US of today.If you want to call that blind nostalgia,so be it :lol

Very well put. The Internet has had a huge affect on retail toy stores. It along with big box stores (Target/Walmart) helped kill off the small Mom and Pop shops I used to go to as a kid.

Another big factor is that the entire climate of toys directed at boys has changed. You don't have the steady prescence of TV properties like there was in the 80's. Other than Clone Wars, Turtles and whatever Transformers reincarnation is out there isn't really anything even remotely close to the shows that we had in the 80's that were created solely to sell more toys.

That's cool but I was referring to the old Sears/Montgomery Wards/JC Penny/Service Merchandise Christmas Catalogs.

That's cool but I was referring to the old Sears/Montgomery Wards/JC Penny/Service Merchandise Christmas Catalogs.

I may do this someday but then of course it would mean ruining the catalogs since the pages would have to be removed one by one to get a proper scan.

TRU sucks

Search Langley toy traders, this is where I go to shop:lecture
:thud:

I want to go there so bad... Difficult to get up to Vancouver though.

There's another awesome store in Indiana called Kokomo Toys I'd love to go to one day.

Cherry Bomb in Victoria is pretty cool, too.

It would be cool if someone who has the old catalogs could scan in some hi-rez pics for historical preservation.

Here you go: https://www.wishbookweb.com/

SearsWishbook.1985EC.P442.jpg
SearsWishbook.1985EC.P443.jpg

SearsWishbook.1985EC.P441.jpg

SearsWishbook-1983-P160.jpg

Last edited:
X-Entertainment did some stories on those catalogs, as well.

Since Teemu refers to them (or variations of them), Children's Palace and Lionel's Playworld were really my two favorite toy stores as a kid. Particularly Children's Palace. That was my go-to store.

Hey All:

Karamazov kindly posted (and attributed!) a sweet G.I. Joe pic from my blog a little earlier. I've got a Toy Store/Toy Aisle category here:

https://2warpstoneptune.wordpress.com/category/toy-storestoy-aisles/

I just put up two Empire Strikes Back photos a couple of days ago. I call the series "Toy Aisle Zen".

If any of you have similar photos, I'd be happy to post (and attribute) them. If you have a story to go along with it, so much the better. I'm trying as best as I can to document the period and the awesome toys that came with it.

AFter getting slime stuck in the carpets i was never allowed to have it again. :lol

Don't try this at home kids...

Man, Hills Low prices and a $.50 instant rebate? Can't beat that with a stick :lecture

Children's Palace was my favorite back in the day... I mean they had f'n towers :rock

childrenspalace.jpg

Although I don't remember the effeminate Peter Panda :lol

[ame]https://youtu.be/_pohJZ5HKi4[/ame]

I totally remember the Panda being Children Palace's mascot, but don't remember commercials with a guy in a suit.

Hey All:

Karamazov kindly posted (and attributed!) a sweet G.I. Joe pic from my blog a little earlier. I've got a Toy Store/Toy Aisle category here:

https://2warpstoneptune.wordpress.com/category/toy-storestoy-aisles/

I just put up two Empire Strikes Back photos a couple of days ago. I call the series "Toy Aisle Zen".

If any of you have similar photos, I'd be happy to post (and attribute) them. If you have a story to go along with it, so much the better. I'm trying as best as I can to document the period and the awesome toys that came with it.
I just approved this post (since it had a link and you had less than 5 posts, mod approval was required). Bumping it for folks to see.

Adding this to the Vintage thread:

Mail Call!!!!

ty2ysyza.jpg

You can see through Boba's head!!!! :eek:

e9a3ama4.jpg

Thanks Mr. Darth Waller! :cool:

Back