Vanderstelt Studio Middle-earth News

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same here. All of my Jerry prints are on paper.

I had the Sauron paper, then got the canvas and I thought the canvas was a lot better, so ditched the paper. So maybe I'm answering my own concerns since I already think the canvas looks better. Regardless what I get, I defn only want Legolas and Tauriel framed next to each other.

They're beautiful and work within my budget. So it works for me with what I'm trying to collect.

I feel the same way. I would not be able to pick up most of his artwork otherwise and variety is key because there are so many must-own pieces.

Not to mention that some of his stuff like the Celebration prints only come in paper.

one more question then, would it be cheaper to just buy the canvas at $180 and have it stretched and framed or would it be about the same just to buy the canvas gallery wrapped at $280, then have it framed?

I feel the same way. I would not be able to pick up most of his artwork otherwise and variety is key because there are so many must-own pieces.

Not to mention that some of his stuff like the Celebration prints only come in paper.

I know. Between his must have Middle-earth artwork and the stuff coming from Weta gotta have the options to make it all work.

one more question then, would it be cheaper to just buy the canvas at $180 and have it stretched and framed or would it be about the same just to buy the canvas gallery wrapped at $280, then have it framed?

That depends on whomever you use. I know of some who do it themselves at home. Go ask your framer or go to micheals and ask how much to do it. Prices will vary depending on who does it

Last edited:
Canvas has more pop in color but there is also texture. Some people like the texture because it makes it seem like a classic oil painting. It has a high end feel to it when seen up close even when it's gallery wrapped and not framed. It's very nice.

Paper is extremely well done with Jerry's prints given the quality of colors and the paper itself. Paper allows you the flexibility to pick your combinations of frames/mattes for your particular print making it a little more your own.

Ultimately it boils down to cost. Canvas requires a high cost up front. More so if you buy with gallery wrap right away. Paper has allowed me the ability to pick up more prints and frame them at my own pace. Once it's framed with UV glass, the artwork comes through just fine with enough pop. I like the fact that I have slightly more input in how it's presented with double matting and frames choices. I usually leave the bottom of the paper visible where the edition size, signature and title of the art is and close up/frame the rest of it.

I'll try to answer that. It really depends on who you would use to get your canvas stretched. If Michaels, then use that coupon to get a good deal. From there, you can also get it framed from them.
"Gallery Wrapping" IS strectched when done. The difference is that normal stretching is usually done with much thinner stretcher bars, which allow you to use a shallower frame style if you desire. Gallery Wrapping is the same as stretching except that we use 1.5 inch stretcher bars that make the canvas stick out from the wall 1.5 inches. It also is designed to be displayed without a frame, which is what some people are doing today. My canvases come with a printed border to "Wrap" around the top,bottom and sides giving it a finished look on it's own without the expense of a frame, which is the idea : )
Once it is Gallery Wrapped, you can still frame it, but you will want to choose appropriate frames to compliment that 1.5 inch stretcher bar. I've seen many combos of framed pieces that were initially Gallery Wrapped, then later framed.
It's all a matter of taste and budget. This is exactly why you see a wide price range because not everyone has the room or budget for a full-blown canvas ( which is the most expensive process to create and involves more labor. The canvas itself is much more costly than the paper and needs to be hand-coated by me to varnish and seal each and every one). Some prefer the Paper Giclee and some a more entry-level lithograph. Lithographs look very nice ( And I use the best line screen, inks and papers available ), but the four-color process to create them has a limited color gamut compared to the much more expensive Paper Giclee, which is a twelve color process on much more costly paper, giving you a quality level that makes the difference in price.And it's bigger in size with the case of Tauriel and Legolas.
I have people of all walks that collect Fine Art, from college students to retired folks, and all in between, so I try to serve them by offering this range.

Sorry for the long response, but there were a few questions in this thread on this subject. I hope I answered you guys,.

JV

Can someone from Europe tell me approximately how much is shipping going to cost ? :)

Depends on what part of Europe you live in. To find out exactly, you can go to the checkout page, fill in all your info, then hit the "Continue" button to see the calculated charge from USPS. You do not have to commit to buying anything at this point. You can cancel, before giving any payment information.

As far as a DOS piece, I do not have a date, but I am in the process of starting designs now : )

JV

As far as a DOS piece, I do not have a date, but I am in the process of starting designs now : )

Ah, cool. Are you at liberty to say whether or not they are permitting you to paint Smaug or is he not allowed until There and Back Again? I ask because I know Smaug's look is still being largely kept a secret in all but the film.

Remember the ruckus when rumors of her being in the film started? Can't thank the Hobbit team enough for creating my now fav character (and proud of it). No use resisting and your art hits the sweet spot. Shipping and customs be damned, I am ordering a Tauriel print for sure.

Screw it, as soon as my wallet has a breather I will add her daggers from Weta. Combine those with the 1/6 statue and Jerry's print in the back.

:drool :panic: :yess: :)

Ah, cool. Are you at liberty to say whether or not they are permitting you to paint Smaug or is he not allowed until There and Back Again? I ask because I know Smaug's look is still being largely kept a secret in all but the film.

Smaug will appear in the DOS piece.

JV

Back