USA is #1 in the world

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an Englishman who gets jumpy when he sees armed police at UK airports, I'd just like to say "My, you're all very macho." Gun crime's on the rise over here, but I'd never consider owning one myself.

TC :rolleyes:

responsible gun usage and safety is a privledge. a gun is only as safe as it's user. guns don't kill people, people kill people.

we have a right to bear arms in the u.s., and one day when the fundamentalist cells become active, we're going to need them. :(

it's just in between the m-16 and m-60 as far as the feel of it. i had to carry the damn thing on the 20 mile road march at the end of basic training.

LOL! I remember those days all to well. Its amazing how much heavier even the M 16's get after a 20 or 30 mile long hump. LOL!

responsible gun usage and safety is a privledge. a gun is only as safe as it's user. guns don't kill people, people kill people.

I know what you are trying to say, but technically, in the United States at least, according to second amendment to the U.S. Constitution, it is a right, not just a privilege. But, every right carries with it certain attendant responsibilities, and gun ownership is no different.

We have the right to free speech, but we do not have the right to yell "fire!" in a crowded theater. We have the right to pursue happiness, but as the saying goes, your right to pursue happiness ends at the tip of my nose. We have the right to keep and bear arms, but we don't have the right to conceal them in public, to fire them in public places (except in the case of certain emergencies, or during time of war), and we don't have the right to treat them with gross irresponsibility, even in our own homes. Anyone who demonstrates a significant lack of responsibility with regard to gun ownership should have their right to own one revoked, just as is the case with convicted felons.

Last edited:
I know what you are trying to say, but technically, in the United States at least, according to second amendment to the U.S. Constitution, it is a right, not just a privilege. But, every right carries with it certain attendant responsibilities, and gun ownership is no different.

We have the right to free speech, but we do not have the right to yell "fire!" in a crowded theater. We have the right to pursue happiness, but as the saying goes, your right to pursue happiness ends at the tip of my nose. We have the right to keep and bear arms, but we don't have the right to conceal them in public, to fire them in public places (except in the case of certain emergencies, or during time of war), and we don't have the right to treat them with gross irresponsibility, even in our own homes. Anyone who demonstrates a significant lack of responsibility with regard to gun ownership should have their right to own one revoked, just as is the case with convicted felons.

:lecture

Phineas J. Whoopie...you're the greatest! :lol

"Nothing will ruin the country if the people themselves will undertake its safety; and nothing can save it if they leave that safety in any hands but their own." - Daniel Webster

I don't see the point in owning a gun, unless you use it for competition/hunting. And some of those guns would stop a bull elephant!! I mean, would you guys honestly use it against someone who invades your home? I personally couldn't. Sure, I would do what I could to get the guy out of my house, but to stand there, and know what I am about to do will take a persons life,..that's tough.

That really shouldn't be the main reason to keep a gun in the first place. How often will that situation arise?? I know here in Australia, that would be almost never...maybe we don't fully appreciate what it IS like to live in the "burbs" of the US.

And that maybe is also, why Australia ranked the amongst the LOWEST in gun ownership. Maybe, like Michael Moore said, it's all about being afraid...(it leads to the dark side you know...:lol)..The security of knowing you have an arsenal in the basement capable of taking on a small army..:D

Maybe we take our relatively low crime/murder rate for granted, as compared to you guys. But, yeah..owning a gun or five in the US of A, is almost a given..

I know it is your RIGHT to have a gun...but, what's your REASON?

My father fought in WWII and was vehemently opposed to guns. He once told me that when he was in basic training 5 minutes after they received live ammo a man was dead.
Then there was Frankie P. around the corner who thought it was funny to fire his shotgun aimed 5 feet below my friend Tim's feet while he stood on a hill. Despite these fine examples of bad gun ownership I am a strong supporter of the right to keep and bear arms.
I personally don't have any and I agree with Pix, that my kids don't go over anyone's house that does have them except for my brother. I do however know how to assemble, clean and fire many models and at some point I might get one later on, just because I don't trust the general public and I trust the government less.
Besides having a Kung Fu studio downstairs I have my choice of a Chinese broadsword, T'ai Chi swords, butterfly swords, Escrima sticks, nunchuku, bo staffs, Three sectional staff and my 10" Bowie knife.

Personally if I broke into someone's home and they came at me with a sword and I was unarmed...I would run like hell on the off chance they know how to use it.

I don't see the point in owning a gun, unless you use it for competition/hunting. And some of those guns would stop a bull elephant!! I mean, would you guys honestly use it against someone who invades your home? I personally couldn't. Sure, I would do what I could to get the guy out of my house, but to stand there, and know what I am about to do will take a persons life,..that's tough.

That really shouldn't be the main reason to keep a gun in the first place. How often will that situation arise?? I know here in Australia, that would be almost never...maybe we don't fully appreciate what it IS like to live in the "burbs" of the US.

And that maybe is also, why Australia ranked the amongst the LOWEST in gun ownership. Maybe, like Michael Moore said, it's all about being afraid...(it leads to the dark side you know...:lol)..The security of knowing you have an arsenal in the basement capable of taking on a small army..:D

Maybe we take our relatively low crime/murder rate for granted, as compared to you guys. But, yeah..owning a gun or five in the US of A, is almost a given..

I know it is your RIGHT to have a gun...but, what's your REASON?

Well, I'm a hunter mostly for deer and small game. Additionally, the meat from the season is used and I also donate it to charities if there is an overabundance. Nothing goes to waste. Also, I like to target shoot.

In regards to hunting, that's where my rifles and shotguns come into play. Beyond that, those weapons aren't really easily accessible and versatile weapons of choice for personal safety/home defense. I don't see the point of hunting with a handgun (even a Contender wasn't wise IMO). For personal safety/home defense (along with target shooting), I use my handguns. Also, I have a Concealed Weapons License. I sometimes carry large amounts of cash, which places me in a higher probability percentile for having a crime against.

At home, I keep the DE .50 AE under my bed most of the time and rotate it with a Colt .45 (if not being carried). In regards to your question of actually using it, I am trained and well prepared to exercise this option if there was an absolute necessity. I would not think twice about proceeding into this course of action if a member of my family or my life were threatened. However, shooting a weapon doesn't necessarily mean, "shoot to kill". I can easily place shoulder or appendage shots as well as torso and headshots. The type of shot I would take depends on situational circumstances, but I would almost always aim to maim, not kill.

Responsible gun ownership, as well as multiple forms of self-defense including martial arts has nothing to do with power, masculinity, or fear. It is about vigilance, respect, and apposite usage.

a gun is only as safe as it's user. guns don't kill people, people kill people.
:(

Well said. :clap

Almost any item can be used as a "weapon" if not used properly.

I don't own any guns myself but I see no problem with people owning them. My one and only gripe against guns is that they are too easy to obtain. I think we need stricter gun laws to keep guns out of the hands of certain people.

I think it's far more effective to strip down and chase away potential burglars with a hatchet. It leaves a more lasting impression. I mean, anybody can pull a gun. If you're going to defend your property, do it with a little style.

07200024.jpg

I can't understand that you guys think this is something to be proud of:confused:

If you are a hunter, then fine, keep a rifle or whatever you need, but I don't think ordinary people need to carry guns!

However Sweden isn't the best example, We are like the 4 biggest producer of weapons.. We have a strikt policy not to sell to countrys that are in a war. but then why do we sell to the US? When you guys were at war with Iraq..Then we have disstributers in other countrys(France, Britain and many more), that CAN sell to the saudiarabia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, pakistan etc. the list goes on!

I did a huge paper on this when I was in school, talked to alot of politicans etc. and I never got a straight answer why this is allowed!:confused: I think our goverment is looking the other way cause we don't want to lose the money...

That's fine what you said Kaos...and you are probably the type of person who obviously grew up around guns, excuse my ignorance if I am wrong...I didn't grow up with or around guns, and in a very low crime environment, so maybe that makes me fortunate and lucky.

I know there are people out there who only know one way..guns and violence...You say that having a gun is all about being prepared and vigilant, well, I suppose, whatever makes you sleep better at night right? Good luck to you, and I hope you never have to use them against another person, as I am sure you think that way too..Cheers dude.:D

I can't understand that you guys think this is something to be proud of:confused:

If you are a hunter, then fine, keep a rifle or whatever you need, but I don't think ordinary people need to carry guns!

However Sweden isn't the best example, We are like the 4 biggest producer of weapons.. We have a strikt policy not to sell to countrys that are in a war. but then why do we sell to the US? When you guys were at war with Iraq..Then we have disstributers in other countrys(France, Britain and many more), that CAN sell to the saudiarabia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, pakistan etc. the list goes on!

I did a huge paper on this when I was in school, talked to alot of politicans etc. and I never got a straight answer why this is allowed!:confused: I think our goverment is looking the other way cause we don't want to lose the money...

The U.S. is still at war with Iraq. But I think it's fine to have a gun for protection, but most of the time the people that have them are the people that shouldn't have them.

Back