Ultimate Blade Runner Collection on DVD!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A valid criticism, as with LOTR the book is the book and the film is a different animal. Dick himself said "The two reinforce each other, so that someone who started with the novel would enjoy the movie and someone who started with the movie would enjoy the novel". I liked that it implys Dekard might be a replicant but doesn't answer it. It gives the material a bit more complication, another layer or angle to look at the story from. I just chalk it up with the other unanswered lingering questions of the movie: Who and where is the sixth replicant? Why did Roy's death take place sooner than the listed date in the film? How did Leon bring a gun into the Tyrell Corp? etc.

Apparently, in an interview with Playboy magazine in 2002, Ford was asked about the voice-over if he "deliberately read it badly, hoping they'd drop it?". He replied "No. I delivered it to the best of my ability given that I had no input. I never thought they'd use it. But I didn't try and sandbag it. It was simply bad narration." He added, "I was compelled by my contract to do the narration."

Putting aside the v.o. and the unicorn, the Director's cut ending at the elevator is much better and more powerful than the theatrical version.

Entropy Chicken said:
... as with LOTR the book is the book and the film is a different animal. ...
Yes, you could say that. It's also pretty clear that the Blade Runner director's cut is a completely different movie than the original theatrical version, for obvious reasons.

Entropy Chicken said:
Putting aside the v.o. and the unicorn, the Director's cut ending at the elevator is much better and more powerful than the theatrical version.
I can't say that I agree with you there, since I just don't support the idea of Deckard being a replicant. Making Deckard a replicant, is to exile the entire story to banality.

The greenscreen shoot (correcting the Zhora shooting) was produced by De Lauzirika and directed by Richard R Hoover of Sony Pictures Imageworks.
It also reworked the scene in which Deckard examines the photograph that's supposed to show Joanna Cassidy's neck and head, but reveals that a stand-in was used for the actress here instead.
The technical solution involved a digital "cut and paste" method, whereby the lips, chin and/or full faces of Cassidy and other actors were replaced with newly shot footage of the same body parts. DeL says " (Cassidy) gave a great performance that day; it perfectly matched what she'd done 25 years earlier. (She's) in great shape and looks exactly like she did (25 years ago). All of Joanna's footage is looking good. But if it doesn't look good, it doesn't go in. That's the caveat for the greenscreen stuff. The tweaks we're doing have to be absolutely seamless."

Here's the latest low-down on the DVDs. :drool

July 26, 2007 - On December 18, 2007, Warner Home Video will release Blade Runner: The Final Cut on DVD. Atop of releasing this highly anticipated version of Ridley Scott's epic sci-fi tale, New York and Los Angeles regions will receive an exclusive theatrical release of the Final Cut on October 5, 2007. Not only that, but the Blade Runner: The Final Cut will be available over three DVD collections: Two-Disc Special Edition (at $20.97 MSRP), a Four-Disc Collector's Edition ($34.99 MSRP) and the Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition ($78.92 MSRP) in Collectible "Deckard Briefcase" packaging. Still wanting more? You might want to invest in either of the High Definition platforms of the film, on both HD DVD and Blu-ray, in their Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition form. Prices have yet to be set for the High Definition releases.

The Blade Runner: The Final Cut (Two-Disc Special Edition) DVD will feature the following bonus materials:

Commentary by Ridley Scott
Commentary by Executive Producer/ Co-Screenwriter Hampton Fancher and Co-Screenwriter David Peoples; Producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber
Commentaries by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer
Dangerous Days: Making Of Blade Runner Documentary

The Blade Runner: The Final Cut (Four-Disc Collector's Edition) DVD will feature the following bonus materials:

Commentary by Executive Producer/ Co-Screenwriter Hampton Fancher and Co-Screenwriter David Peoples; Producer Michael Deely and production executive Katherine Haber
Commentaries by visual futurist Syd Mead; production designer Lawrence G. Paull, art director David L. Snyder and special photographic effects supervisors Douglas Trumbull, Richard Yuricich and David Dryer
1982 Theatrical Version
1982 International Version
1992 Director's Cut
Featurette The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick
Featurette Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film
Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (Audio)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (Images)
The Art of Blade Runner (Image Galleries)
Featurette Signs of the Times: Graphic Design
Featurette Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling
Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris
Featurette The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth
Unit Photography Gallery
Deleted & Alternate Scenes
1982 Promotional Featurettes
Trailers & TV Spots
Featurette Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art
Marketing & Merchandise Gallery (Images)
Featurette Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard
Featurette Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers

The Blade Runner: The Final Cut (Five-Disc Ultimate Collector's Edition) DVD will feature the following bonus materials:

1982 Theatrical Version
1982 International Version
1992 Director's Cut
Featurette The Electric Dreamer: Remembering Philip K. Dick
Featurette Sacrificial Sheep: The Novel vs. The Film
Philip K. Dick: The Blade Runner Interviews (Audio)
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep Cover Gallery (Images)
The Art of Blade Runner (Image Galleries)
Featurette Signs of the Times: Graphic Design
Featurette Fashion Forward: Wardrobe & Styling
Screen Tests: Rachel & Pris
Featurette The Light That Burns: Remembering Jordan Cronenweth
Unit Photography Gallery
Deleted & Alternate Scenes
1982 Promotional Featurettes
Trailers & TV Spots
Featurette Promoting Dystopia: Rendering the Poster Art
Marketing & Merchandise Gallery (Images)
Featurette Deck-A-Rep: The True Nature of Rick Deckard
Featurette Nexus Generation: Fans & Filmmakers
Workprint Version of the Film -- This rare version of the film is considered by some to be the most radically different of all the Blade Runner cuts.
Workprint Version Commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Future Noir: The Making of Blade Runner
Featurette All Our Variant Futures: From Workprint to Final Cut

damn looks like they have every version of the film on the 4 and 5 disc ones. sweet.

More pics. Can you tell I'm excited about this? :lol

Definately getting the Ultimate Collector's Edition:rock And a great price from amazon... Would look nice next to my James Bond collection in attache case:D

UPDATE: Ordered:rock

Last edited:
Amazon has all three formats available now.

I have the regular DVD version on pre-order, but I know I'll have to switch it to either Blu-ray or HD.

Any of you SDCC attendees go to the Blade Runner panel?

And has anyone seen a price for the Bluray or HD briefcase?

Oh, and here's a Digital Bits write-up.

https://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/br2007/announce.html

I went to the Blade Runner panel. It was pretty good, but they didn't really talk about the DVDs. everything in this thread is more information than what was discussed at the panel. the showed a little preview trailer for the dvd set and showed the clip when joanna cassidy gets killed. she came back to do a couple of reshoots to replace the stuntwoman that they used originally. 25 years later!!

I really went to find out more about the ultimate set, but it was very cool to see Ridley Scott, James Wang and the guy who played Tyrell. Wang and Tyrell are hilarious!!!!!

Back