Tutorial On Dyeing

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work, Pix!

What did you do to shorten Pippin's jacket? Cut and re-sew?

Any chance you can put all 4 Hobbits together for a pic to see how the colors go all together?

IMGP2369.JPG

Both Merry and Pippin's jackets were re-sewn.

I would be glad to take pics of them all together for you. I'll do it today.

Here is what color Pippin and Merry's jacket should be after color remover and then bleach have been used:

IMGP23401.JPG

And per Wor Gar's request here are the WIP Hobbits with Frodo and Sam:

IMGP2374.JPG

Fantastic job, Pix!!! :rock :rock

If I can get them to look half as good, I'll be happy.

My extra Sam and Frodo arrived today so perhaps I'll start on this project early next year! "yuck, yuck, yuck..." ;)

But seriously, I could almost see the Pip and Merry sculpts on there, in the group shot. Well done.

Merry's right lapel is in great need of an ironing though. Thanks for the compliment.

This weekend I am going to start hunting for materials to use as Pippin's scarf and Merry's cloak (since Frodo's just isn't going to take to the dye).

Okay, now.......I'm playing on getting an extra Frodo and I already have an extra Sam, now, is all I need for Bilbo is an extra body, or would I need another whole Frodo or Sam or more parts?

For Bilbo is preferable to have an Extra Frodo. Basically what I have is this:

2 Sams, 1 Frodo, and 2 extra Frodo jackets.

I've got a feeling we're all going to end up with a hodge-podge of extra hobbit clothing and will end up making the "ear-picking" hobbit with the extras... ;)

For Bilbo is preferable to have an Extra Frodo. Basically what I have is this:

2 Sams, 1 Frodo, and 2 extra Frodo jackets.

So I don't need a Frodo for Merry and Pippin, just Bilbo?

Whose shirt is your Pippin wearing?

I'm sorry, I'm getting a bit confused by it all. I need to start writing stuff down. :eek:

I've got a feeling we're all going to end up with a hodge-podge of extra hobbit clothing and will end up making the "ear-picking" hobbit with the extras... ;)

Surprisingly, most of it will get used.

I'm sorry, I'm getting a bit confused by it all. I need to start writing stuff down. :eek:

K...

Bilbo - Frodo
Merry - Sam
Pippin - Frodo
Frodo - Frodo Ex (Weathertop sword for Merry)
Sam - Sam
and an extra Frodo jacket for Merry.

Everything above will be mixed and matched among the customs but picking up the full total will have you completely covered. So in total, 2 regular Frodos, 2 Sams, a Frodo Exclusive and an extra Frodo jacket. ...sheesh, no wonder Frodo sold out! :rotfl

(P.S. JESUS! You should try quoting yourself and seeing all the HTML crap in your post! :lol)

Here is a complete breakdown of exactly what I have done:

Blue came from Ex. Frodo
Green came from Sam1
Red came from Sam2
Purple came from Toy Anxiety

MERRY

1) Sam's Shirt
2) Frodo's Vest (color removed, bleached, and dyed Rit Golden Yellow)
3) Frodo's Pants
4) Frodo's Jacket (lapels altered to be longer like actual costume and dyed Rit Dark Green)
5) Frodo's Weather Top sword and Scabbard
6) Ex. Frodo's Body

PIPPIN

1) Sam's Shirt (with collar altered to be shorter like Frodo's)
2) Sam's Pants (with color removed, bleached, and dyed Rit Dark Green)
3) Frodo's Jacket (altered to be shorter like actual costume prop and had color removed, then bleached, and dyed Rit Teal)
4) Sam's Cloak (color removed, bleached, and dyed Rit Cocoa Brown)
5) Sam's Weathertop sword and scabbard
6) Sam1's Body

Bilbo

1) Frodo's shirt
2) TB Bilbo Red Vest
3) Sam's Pants (dyed Rit Black)
4) Frodo's Jacket (dyed Dark Green)
5) TB Bilbo's back pack, Redbook of Westmarch, and sleep roll)
6) Frodo Sting and Scabbard
7) TB Bilbo Headsculpt
8) Sam2's Body

I hope that makes it clearer. :duff

IMGP2374.JPG

Last edited:
Since you can't really get Frodo's jacket anywhere loose anymore its probably more advisable at this point to just buy 1 Ex. Frodo and 1 reg. Frodo (or 2 reg. Frodos if you are doing the Bilbo custom too).

Back