Trying out SUGRU mouldable glue (dries to silicon rubber, sort of) - fixes a lot?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassafras

Super Freak
Reaction score
A million glues etc. out there, but for my Toys City poly/plastic rooftop dio I saw this stuff in Target, described as a "50 best inventions" and "modern duct tape".

(More on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Moldable-Glue-Black-White/dp/B00EU7DBNM/ref=sr_1_1?s=boost&srs=12034488011&ie=UTF8&qid=1505068617&sr=1-1&keywords=sugru)

Well, OK, was gonna use epoxy on the cool-looking but rickety assembly of this dio, but a glue you can just pinch off and mold and that was already sort of tar-looking (to go with the gritty roof look) sounded good. Even having excess squeeze-out would work for this dio - it's supposed to look like a greasy ol' roof. (The stuff comes in other colors besides black tho). And this dio just would fall apart, even with the magnets - already slightly chipped a piece. Sugru tho claims to fill gaps.

sugru1.jpg

sugru2.jpg

sugru3.jpg

sugru4.jpg

sugru4a.jpg

Yeah! The rickety dio with the too-heavy polystone pipe is finally standing UP.

sugru5.jpg

sugru6.jpg

Overall: It's like working with soft clay and it's good to have toothpicks, sculpting tools (I was using bent coated wire as a scraper) and whatever to mold the stuff. Has 24 hour cure time. Easy to use.

Not that cheap - 11$ -12$ for the pack I used and apparently will dry up on opening and has a dated shelf life. Lasts longer stored in the fridge.
Suggest reading Amazon reviews.

But thought I'd post this up re never having heard of the stuff and for some things might be perfect for needed repairs. If this doesn't work well with this dio I'll go in with a super-epoxy, but for this using a kind of rubber? black putty? seemed perfect. And at least I can play with this dio now; having it fall over sucked.

Love this stuff. Because its flexible it's perfect for making head connectors for the inside of custom resin headsculpts.
Be prepared to spend a while getting it off your fingers after sculpting with it though!

Back