Trade Paperback (TPB) or Online?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amir

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm want to start reading comics again, I've bought the odd graphic novel but very sporadically. I stopped reading in the early '90's so I have a lot to catch up on. I just wanted to get some advice on what you guys/gals think is the best way to catch up. Trade Paperback (TPB) or Online?? If you were in my situation which route would you take and why? Thanks in advance for any advise :).

I would go with TPB. I tried the on-line thing but it was too slow to download.

Yeah, I can see that, I have tried the free online samples and hated having to zoom in and out because I could not read some of the text but on the plus side it's a hell of a lot cheaper...

True. I just got lucky i got a whole bunch of TPB for $4 each at the con. Also, the on-line thing doesn't take up any space.

The one thing bad I see about the on-line subscription, is you can only read it at your computer, whereas a book, you can take anywhere.

Have fun re-discovering comics man! The stuff that's coming out these days is so much better than what we had in the 90's IMO. I prefer TPB's over the online thing myself, the zooming and such is a pain in the ass IMO and I just don't get the same effect as when I read them in hand. I usually get them way below retail on Amazon or ebay as well (usually around 1/2 price or less).

Thank Reefer I will , I too prefer the TPB but the cost issue is making me lean more towards online. But if I can find some good deals I would jump on TPB. Maybe a mix of both, the stories/characters I really like I will get in TPB and read the rest online :).

I would recommend picking up a Civil War TBP and maybe a House of M TPB. That will gear you up very well for what is happening currently in the MU. Honestly, the best thing to do with the rest just use the internet to catch up on what has happened. I wouldnt actually READ comics online, but just Wiki characters and story lines to get caught up. You really could forget about the large majority of the 90's and not miss anything (exceptions do apply).

Amir , buy trades..This is what I do...on-line comic reading is boring.

I don't know if I like the idea of paying a monthy fee for something that, in the end, I won't own. Years from now if you want to reread the book, who knows if the digital comics service will still be up and running. It's like throwing your money away.

I've tried the online comics thing and while it's cool, I just can't get into it, it's hard on my eyes having to zoom in and out, recentering etc. I get the TPB whenever possible although I did preorder the Hulk and Iron man omnibus' on DVD.

The DVD will probably turn out to be similar to the online stuff but I wanted to give it a shot.

I go every Wednesday to get my fix, actual books, at $2.99 a pop, my addiction now costs me ~$30 a week.

And yes, you got to read... in the correct order I think...

house of M
planet hulk / world war hulk
Civil War
civilwar aftermath / The Initiative / Death of Cap America

And that should take you straight into Secret Invasion

And yes, you got to read... in the correct order I think...

house of M
Civil War / planet hulk
civilwar aftermath / The Initiative / Death of Cap America
world war hulk

And that should take you straight into Secret Invasion

Fixed. (I Think) :D

Thanks for all the tips/suggestions, I think I will go with TPB, I just have to do track down some sweet deals :).

If you want to get some cheaper tpbs this site here: https://www.tfaw.com/Offer/summersteals has some tpbs at 80% off. There are some pretty good books here like the marvel ultimate books. Maybe you can find some books there to start you off.

I’ll check out this site, thanks.

Thanks for the list Mesa/FQRizzo, I’ve already read World War Hulk but will definitely pick up the rest of the titles.

try used book stores too, in their graphic novel section. You can get TPB for half off, sometimes less. And Ebay is a great place to find CHEAP comic collections.

Back