TPM Ewan Mcgregor as Obi-Wan?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've loved watching this thread progress from the very first post.... it's a fabulous sculpt and I can't wait to see fully painted (by the usual suspects) examples appear. I know each one will look totally different, in Les, Mikey's and Josh's own styles... but they'll each be amazing.

I'm still trying to decide whether I could squeeze one in for someone... I've got 6 Anakins to paint this week and 2 Obi-Wans....... and a full Aragorn and Legolas repaint/weatherings to do..... and a WW1 custom one-off sculpt to finish....... and a Ripley to finish resculpting...... and a Will Turner to make from my Legolas..... and........ well about 15 other things, lol (and thats ignoring resin casts to make etc)

But i do want to paint one of these.... badly.I wonder if I could paint one at the same time as painting something else. I don't like to mix and match usually.... I'll do 5 Anakins.... but I'll never usually do 2 Anakins and a Legolas, if that makes sense. An artistic thing.... I prefer to be surrounded by reference pics of the ONE thing I'm painting at any one time

but.... damn... it's SUCH a good sculpt this, lol. If anyone.... (singular!) ... ONE... lol person wants me to.... yell.... I might. ...ONE! :lol

Darren Carnall said:
I've loved watching this thread progress from the very first post.... it's a fabulous sculpt and I can't wait to see fully painted (by the usual suspects) examples appear. I know each one will look totally different, in Les, Mikey's and Josh's own styles... but they'll each be amazing.

I'm still trying to decide whether I could squeeze one in for someone... I've got 6 Anakins to paint this week and 2 Obi-Wans....... and a full Aragorn and Legolas repaint/weatherings to do..... and a WW1 custom one-off sculpt to finish....... and a Ripley to finish resculpting...... and a Will Turner to make from my Legolas..... and........ well about 15 other things, lol (and thats ignoring resin casts to make etc)

But i do want to paint one of these.... badly.I wonder if I could paint one at the same time as painting something else. I don't like to mix and match usually.... I'll do 5 Anakins.... but I'll never usually do 2 Anakins and a Legolas, if that makes sense. An artistic thing.... I prefer to be surrounded by reference pics of the ONE thing I'm painting at any one time

but.... damn... it's SUCH a good sculpt this, lol. If anyone.... (singular!) ... ONE... lol person wants me to.... yell.... I might. ...ONE! :lol

I'll send you mine if your interested Darren otherwise I'll offer it up to Josh to see he wants to do it.

i've got one person who 'may' want me to do theirs, depending on price and stuff i guess..... if not though you're in :)

just got mine in the mail!!! looks great sunohc, really nice job.

now I just need a painter:chew

In work shots....

DSCN2540.jpg

I am sooo looking forward to seeing the young Obi done Josh, I think this is gonna be one of your best works!!

darren, you think it's possible to sculpt a beard on him? i wanna see if sunohc's sculpt can look like rots obi wan.

of course i'm not asking you to do it now, hehe, since you're backed up with so much work, but what do you think? can you picture it? only reason why i ask is cuz, although SSC's rots obi is nice...i still think it can be better. your resculpt is nice as well, but i still think the head has too much of a V shape going on.

actually, if it's easier, maybe someone can digitally add a beard and longer hair?

i'm curious.

Khev said:
Josh did the best ROTS Obi-Wan paint jobs out there. Can't wait to see his TPM Obi! :rock

Thanks guys!! Yeah, I am looking very much forward to painting this head and seeing what I can do with it. Love painting Obi Wan, there's never a dull moment. :duff

Interesting idea Brooklyn, in fact i wanted to do the opposite once I was happy with the Obi resculpt.... i was going to take the beard off, fix the lips, and change the hair (maybe de wrinkle him a little) to make... what sunohc has done for everyone so amazingly... so I don't need to now, lol (i just never had time)

but.... I think the only problem with the shape your talking about (and yes, I saw it too at first) is the shape of the original beard, and the paint effects on it. These give a false impression to the eye that the head is much wider at the top than it actually is. When I tinkered with the sculpt, as well as lowering and making more subtle the beard line... i actually did fill out the cheeks, which were a little sunken. That was making the V shape head look worse.

original.jpg

after.jpg

changes.jpg

...and if you just look at the middle pic below, I've spliced in a real photo of Ewan into the picture, and ignoring the fact that it's a slightly different angle and his eyes are looking in different places... if you look at his cheeks... I'm quite happy that they match up well enough. To my eye anyway, lol.

splitscreen.jpg

But it's an interesting idea if someone could do it to create yet another Obi-Wan out of sunohc's.... it's clearly a good enough sculpt. It would be a lot of work... changing the face, lips, hair etc.... but it would be cool i bet!!

...I just don't have the time, lol

oh man, i totally see what you're talking about. thanks for pointing it out...i just never quite knew where to put my finger on what was wrong with the obi sculpt.

your mods definitely helped out the overall appearance of obi, but once you spliced in that pic of ewan...it's the eyes. they need to be a bit more...how do you say...slanty? sharp? what do you think darren?

and man, that would've been one awesome resculpt of obi if you did have time to shave off the beard and give him a hair cut...but lol, man oh man, that would've been a lot of work right?

....ok, I've just said yes to painting two of these. I'll have to do them at night or on a sunday or something to fit them in, but I want to paint this sculpt... and if I'm painting one... i might as well paint two, three or four. As long as I do them at the same time.

I feel like Michael Corleone in Godfather part 3.

"Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in!"​

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

so anyway... I'm doing a couple of these now, so if anyone else wants theirs doing, and I can do it at the same time as these two... then I'll do it. So jump on.

otherwise you'll be in safe hands with one of the other resident artists :)

BrooklynWolf X said:
your mods definitely helped out the overall appearance of obi, but once you spliced in that pic of ewan...it's the eyes. they need to be a bit more...how do you say...slanty? sharp? what do you think darren?

and man, that would've been one awesome resculpt of obi if you did have time to shave off the beard and give him a hair cut...but lol, man oh man, that would've been a lot of work right?

dont forget the eyes there are from two different expressions... i have pictures of Ewan where his eyes match the Sideshow figure pretty spot on. (I have dozens and dozens... from when I was working on it). Andy (I think it was Andy) got the eyes pretty damn close. I didn't touch them at all. I just went with a pic that was straight on from the front so I could show the cheeks.

and yeah......taking the beard off and changing the hair would've been a LOT of work. lol. Basically would have been resculpting the whole bottom (and top! lol) half of his face/head

Darren Carnall said:
dont forget the eyes there are from two different expressions... i have pictures of Ewan where his eyes match the Sideshow figure pretty spot on. (I have dozens and dozens... from when I was working on it). Andy (I think it was Andy) got the eyes pretty damn close. I didn't touch them at all. I just went with a pic that was straight on from the front so I could show the cheeks.

and yeah......taking the beard off and changing the hair would've been a LOT of work. lol. Basically would have been resculpting the whole bottom (and top! lol) half of his face/head

yeah i think you're right. i was watching the vid you made which showed obi from a different angle. see? lol, told you man, not everyone can spot this stuff. which means you=the man.

and dude...haha, you're taking requests for sun's obi head? you are like clockwork. :D

got mine today, AWSOME piece, really really pleased, ill try to paint it to justice along with Darrens Ani and Obi heads, but i guess my best addition to a TPM obi will be the lit saber!Anyone a good recipe yet for a good TPM costume?

i was gonna do sideshow obi robe, belt, and maybe mace pants? with hasbro ep1 obi tunic and boots

I'm planning on using a Sideshow body with Hasbro clothes for a base. Then a SS robe and build from there. I won't know how the Hasbro clothes and saber measure up until they show up from ebay, but I assume I'll want to upgrade bits and pieces.

BTW Josh, the heads will be in the mail tomorrow morning! This is just too exciting, I cant wait to see it all come together. Seeing Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon facing off against Maul on my shelf will be amazing! Can you tell this is my first custom? :eek:

Back