Toshiro Mifune in 'Midway' (1976) - 1/6 Navy Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMGP5257a.JPG

2011-04-17.jpg
figuremaniac.blogspot.com

Hmm... I was getting ready to pre-order that version any one of these days but I'm not sure I like what I'm seeing there. The head doesn't have the same punch to it. I didn't have any interest in this as a likeness as Mifune, I just liked the look of the head sculpt, and so it doesn't matter to me if the final version is an improved likeness or not.

For one, it looks a lot less detailed. The hair in particular, it looks like it's just solid black now with no gray. The prototype looked human, among the very best I've ever seen, while this head to me looks lifeless and unremarkable, nothing special. The uniform also looks like a big drop down, particularly the top of the hat.

I've never followed anything not HT from prototype to release and so maybe this is typical but I'm very surprised here. I think at this point I'll pass. If anyone else still wants it though, the cheapest I could find it for, looking earlier, is $85 here:

https://www.apcollectibles.com/shop001/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2641&idcategory=

Also, am I alone in seeing Ciaran Hinds in this? It's got the same dead/beady eyes and a few other common points.

ciaran-hinds-as-dci-langton.jpg

Agreed. That is one massive step backwards from proto to final product, though perhaps the flash photography doesn't help with blowing out the shadow detail.

Damn what a let down. I already preordered. He's turning into a samurai regardless. Bloody disappointment. And I won't feel bad about cutting apart his head. :mad:

Huuuumm, I am disapointed too. I was ready to buy it but now after this detail. It seems Triad Toys. The headsculpt and painting are wonderful at the promo pic, but when people of this forum put the real thing it is a shame.

I was wondering, Jessica! I know you want to make him a samurai, just like I do. Are you gona add real hair to him?

I don't know yet if I should add real hair or go the sculpted way. I made a samurai, way back, with real hair and he looks good, but at this scale, I wonder if sculpted hair isn't the right way to go.

So what's your input on this?

I was wondering, Jessica! I know you want to make him a samurai, just like I do. Are you gona add real hair to him?

I don't know yet if I should add real hair or go the sculpted way. I made a samurai, way back, with real hair and he looks good, but at this scale, I wonder if sculpted hair isn't the right way to go.

So what's your input on this?

There will be an official samurai version after the Summer suit version.:wave

I prefer sculpted hair. I think it looks neater/cleaner plus it always stays in place. I'm going not looking for a pineapple type chonmage but the the topknot that looks really polished.

I would love it if a samurai version were to be available. But I hope what is mass-produced would at least look as good as the prototype. I'm about ready to cancel my preorder...I'm just so not happy with the last batch of photos.

Back