Top Gun: Maverick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably because it just left first run theaters like a week ago, lol.
Name another film that has had a run like that recently. I can remember Raiders running for something like 18 months when it came out locally. Less films, less cinemas. Less people lol.

Name another film that has had a run like that recently. I can remember Raiders running for something like 18 months when it came out locally. Less films, less cinemas. Less people lol.
Recently??? Not really recent but Maybe Avatar

Titanic for sure but that was not recent :lol

Ah man don’t you remember we Use to have to wait a year of more for films in the days VHS and early DVD

Though I agree Top Gun was a long wait in todays physical media world.

Weird cause you could get it digitally forever
I had it perordered and originally it was due out in July or August, but then the date got pushed out due to its extended cinema run.

Less people? You know that when adjusted for inflation Raiders actually made more than TG:M, so that means more people/ticket sales. Not sure I agree about there being less films either - back then there seemed to be a lot more choices, before 9 out of 10 films were part of one franchise or another. But yes, there were less screens, although I'd argue there were more neighborhood cinemas lol...

Less people? You know that when adjusted for inflation Raiders actually made more than TG:M, so that means more people/ticket sales. Not sure I agree about there being less films either - back then there seemed to be a lot more choices, before 9 out of 10 films were part of one franchise or another. But yes, there were less screens, although I'd argue there were more neighborhood cinemas lol...
Well when I say less people, the population was smaller, there were maybe as many cinemas, but less screens, less screenings. I’m talking primarily from my own backyard, Australia which didn’t have a lot of suburban cinemas but did have a lot of drive ins! There was around 150 major US films released in 81. As of last week there were 250 US films released this year. Streaming has a lot to do with that obviously.

You'd have to go back a long long time.

I remember when Titanic came out around Xmas in the late 90s and the major theater in the area where I was living at during that time, it stayed on it's main screen until the next Christmas. It literally ran for an entire year.

Everyone I knew had seen it ( extremely rare, we talking like ET or Star Wars type of reach) and had seen it multiple times. A lot of people saw it locally, then saw it again when they traveled to see their families for the holidays.

There was a big article spread back then, it was saying some studio producers asked Cameron if he could film another version, from the perspective of the men and the people in third class, because they still had the costumes, major sets, etc still in place and already made. That's how much money it was making, the studio literally wanted to make another Titanic immediately. To cash in on the massive hype. And the hype was insane and the level of merchandising was insane. You could only compare Titanic's worldwide merchandising machine to Linsanity in 2011 if we are talking modern non franchise phenomenons.

At this point, the only two permanently established actors left, aside from Cruise, whom have proven they can still carry an entire film completely on their own and have a large enough fan base to still follow them everywhere are Denzel Washington and Tom Hanks.

If Hanks or Washington made a huge film and then immediately died before it's release, that might be the next time you'd see a huge swell like TGM.

Just watched this last night after 1 theater viewing way back when. Just a great movie all around. Predictable as hell but 10X the fun. Loved the respect paid to Val Kilmer, very classy. Can’t wait to fire it up again.

Ah man don’t you remember we Use to have to wait a year of more for films in the days VHS and early DVD

Though I agree Top Gun was a long wait in todays physical media world.

Weird cause you could get it digitally forever
Oh yeah, I definitely remember those days. But this seemed like an eternity!

Weird I spoke to my uncle who flew planes off carriers in the 50s, 60s and 70s and he said the first film is more accurate. Hmmm ok. But this is the better film!

Weird I spoke to my uncle who flew planes off carriers in the 50s, 60s and 70s and he said the first film is more accurate. Hmmm ok. But this is the better film!

It's not too weird, this one is full of inconsistencies with the actual aircraft. The opening scene for example switches between different aircraft regularly during cuts, they fire weapons but still have full loads externally. A better example might be "Hangman" at the end. He's on alert fighter standby, and yet he launches with bombs and no less than THREE fuel tanks, even the jets that actually flew the mission didn't have these. His jet would have handled like a bus despite being tasked with interception. Any aviation person will cringe at stuff like this..... However you have to put this stuff aside. This movie isn't intended to be accurate, it's style over substance and I'm perfectly okay with that, because what style!!

It's not too weird, this one is full of inconsistencies with the actual aircraft. The opening scene for example switches between different aircraft regularly during cuts, they fire weapons but still have full loads externally. A better example might be "Hangman" at the end. He's on alert fighter standby, and yet he launches with bombs and no less than THREE fuel tanks, even the jets that actually flew the mission didn't have these. His jet would have handled like a bus despite being tasked with interception. Any aviation person will cringe at stuff like this..... However you have to put this stuff aside. This movie isn't intended to be accurate, it's style over substance and I'm perfectly okay with that, because what style!!

Things that are unclear, but maybe you can clear it up some

1) If the mission knew that there was a possibility to fight "5th Gen" enemy fighters, then why weren't F35s or maybe even F22 Raptors not there in support for a potential dog fight? ( I recognize for filming purposes, they had to pick planes there were two seaters, so they could have an actor and also a real pilot there)

2) Why weren't more missiles launched to take out some of those SAM batteries on the mountain top?

3) Why was Hangman alone up there in support at the end of the film? Wouldn't you want more fighters in the air considering enemy fighters were clearly out to hunt down the first two teams?

4) At the end, let's say Rooster could have ejected. Could Maverick still fly that plane without the canopy, then use it like a battering ram and hit the enemy fighter? ( This is under the premise that Hangman wouldn't be there, and that Maverick and Rooster were literally and completely on their own)

5) This might be a Star Wars A New Hope question as well, but why aren't there guns facing "backwards"? Obviously you would need some kind of clearance from the engines. I don't know if that question sounds nuts, but it seems somewhat practical if an enemy is right on your tail. Maybe it won't hit him, but maybe it's enough to get him to disengage.

6) Can the detachable fuel tanks be used as weapons? For example, if Maverick had some of those tanks, you mentioned they slow you down, but if you could get on top of another fighter and just drop them, would that work?

Thanks in advance.

Things that are unclear, but maybe you can clear it up some

1) If the mission knew that there was a possibility to fight "5th Gen" enemy fighters, then why weren't F35s or maybe even F22 Raptors not there in support for a potential dog fight? ( I recognize for filming purposes, they had to pick planes there were two seaters, so they could have an actor and also a real pilot there)

2) Why weren't more missiles launched to take out some of those SAM batteries on the mountain top?

3) Why was Hangman alone up there in support at the end of the film? Wouldn't you want more fighters in the air considering enemy fighters were clearly out to hunt down the first two teams?

4) At the end, let's say Rooster could have ejected. Could Maverick still fly that plane without the canopy, then use it like a battering ram and hit the enemy fighter? ( This is under the premise that Hangman wouldn't be there, and that Maverick and Rooster were literally and completely on their own)

5) This might be a Star Wars A New Hope question as well, but why aren't there guns facing "backwards"? Obviously you would need some kind of clearance from the engines. I don't know if that question sounds nuts, but it seems somewhat practical if an enemy is right on your tail. Maybe it won't hit him, but maybe it's enough to get him to disengage.

6) Can the detachable fuel tanks be used as weapons? For example, if Maverick had some of those tanks, you mentioned they slow you down, but if you could get on top of another fighter and just drop them, would that work?

Thanks in advance.
No amount of calling out the lack of realistic real world strategic military planning, logistics and execution will ruin even 0.1% of this spectacular thrill a minute nostalgic done right masterpiece of cinema and that’s coming from my retired USAF fighter pilot brother. :yess:

Back