Tomb Raider the Reboot?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mike

In the Pixels
Reaction score
Lara Croft Reboots Without Angelina Source: E! Online Wed Jan 28, 2009, 3:12 am EST
Angelina Jolie's loss may just be Megan Fox's gain.

Warner Bros. has confirmed plans to relaunch—and completely overhaul—the hot pants-wearing, artifact-collecting Lara Croft: Tomb Raider franchise, with the first major casualty being Jolie.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the third film will completely reboot the video game-based character, including changing her origin story (most likely shying away from her English aristocracy roots) and introduce new kinds of missions, love interests and villains.

And, most notably, a new leading lady.

While producers say an actress likely won't be cast until a writer and director have signed on, Fox has emerged as the frontrunner replacement, at least as far as the blogosphere is concerned.

While Lara Croft: Tomb Raider and its inconsistently punctuated sequel Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life were produced by Paramount, the rights to the series have since reverted back to video game purveyor Eidos. In December, Time Warner increased its stake in the multimedia company, ensuring in-house studio Warner Bros. first dibs to what has been a lucrative, abeit critically panned, franchise.

The first installment, released in 2001, grossed $275 million worldwide, while the 2003 sequel earned $157 million. All told, the video game series, which launched in 1996, has accounted for more than $1 billion.

I saw this story yesterday. I'm not sure I like them moving away from her English aristocracy roots, though.

I can accept undead mummies and Atlantian monsters but Megan Fox solving puzzles is asking too much. Unless Lara discovers the world's first Erotic Photo Hunt machine.

Why remove the fact that she's English Aristocracy. Maybe they could set Harry Potter in an inner city school in the Bronx next as well

Being English is at least very important to the character.

I liked AICN's suggestion - Rhona Mitra. Apparently she was the inspiration for the character, and she's a big enough star now.

I can accept undead mummies and Atlantian monsters but Megan Fox solving puzzles is asking too much. Unless Lara discovers the world's first Erotic Photo Hunt machine.

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.....you can buy Megan Fox spitting out lines like: You got a high rise double pump carburetor. That's... that's pretty impressive, Sam. It squirts the fuel in so you can go faster.

and you can't buy her Tomb Raiding? :lol

Either way they'll go young to have a possible franchise and if they'll smart they'll go British.

Rhona Mitra inspired Lara Croft? TR came out in 1996 and I don't see her in anything that would be anything like Lara Croft.

I thought Jolie was perfect. I'll be sad to see her go. I think they could use better script writers though. :lecture

Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.....you can buy Megan Fox spitting out lines like: You got a high rise double pump carburetor. That's... that's pretty impressive, Sam. It squirts the fuel in so you can go faster.

Noooo...I was supposed to buy that too? :confused: :lol

Megan Fox will star as Lara Croft, the non-English aristocratic tomb raider, loosely based on the video game, who, in the process of looking for the Lost Ark, (yes, the same one found by Indiana Jones, except ... he didn't according to this movie), meets up with Daniel (played by Jaden Smith) who is searching for Mr. Miyagi (japanese instructor, possibly played by George Takei) to learn the lost art of ninjitsu... later becoming Snake-Eyes, of GIJoe, who fights internationally, teaming up with alien robots from a planet called Cybertron, who flee because a nearby planet, Krypton, exploded after Kal-El left the planet Earth because he found out he actually fathered a son with Lois Lane, played by Angelina Jolie.

ya know... this sounds plausible as the next "Scary / Epic Movie series"

Rhona Mitra inspired Lara Croft? TR came out in 1996 and I don't see her in anything that would be anything like Lara Croft.

Bingo, Rhona Mitra was one of the first of the many Eidos Tomb Raider Lara Croft actresses for video game conventions

rhona_mitra_02.jpg

rm5.jpg

Yup, Rhone Mitra was the first 'live' Lara model that they use for photo shoots/conventions etc. The thing is if you watch her in anything now acting wise, she's really pretty good... I'd totally watch her in the role.

Back