Tom Hooper's Les Miserables

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bleh.

In fairness, I didn't like the stage performance, either. I was under the VERY misguided information that the film would be more "Disney-esque" of a musical - spoken dialogue, with sung numbers mixed in. I hate musicals where the dialogue is sung, as well. Maybe that's all musicals, I don't know enough about the specifics of the genre.

But apparently Hugh Jackman's vocal chords are lodged three inches up his sinuses, since most of his vocals were incredibly nasal. He did a good job for a good amount of time, but having so much screen time exposed his weaknesses. And Crowe's singing reminded me of what I think a man-sized teddy bear would sound like.

Hooper's direction was really odd at points. The novelty of his extreme zoom-ins during the solos wore off quickly; Hathaway's was the only time it was effective. Otherwise, framing almost every solo with the singer at the bottom-right of the screen got tiresome.

The two performances I loved were Hathaway's, and whoever played the main revolutionary (in the red coat). Hathaway did a good job singing, but her raw emotion took it to another level. "I Dreamed A Dream" got hard to watch by the end - in a good way. Whoever the main revolutionary was, he wasn't on screen enough. One of the few cast members who I genuinely thought could sing well, combined with an enjoyable character, made for one of my favorites.

11167962_det.jpg

I saw this 1998 movie of Les Miserables, first time I see it and I liked it a lot, but watching this I couldn't imagine the whole movie with singing. I mean I know that's the way it should be made but I liked watching just a movie, I liked it so I will give the new one a chance. But having the entire thing sung, I don't know.

Saw this last week. I was really impressed with everyone's work in the movie. I would consider getting it on Blu. Not a huge musical fan by any stretch but they did such a good job on this that I'd suggest anyone go see this.

Finally caught this last night. Anne stole the film for me. Her performance was amazing and I really hope she receives many accolades for it.

Russell Crowe was bad enough to take me out of the film at parts. They should have done more work on his voice post-edit.

I've seen the Broadway musical a couple of times (once with the original cast!) and this movie does the musical justice! I was very impressed with it and enjoyed it a lot... I didn't even mind Crowe's singing... they should have cast a stronger singer in the role, but he did alright. And I'm man enough to admit that the movie version affected me emotionally, more times than the stage productions ever did.

I hated this movie. I think I'd prefer seeing it on stage. Seeing people sing everything in such a realistic/gritty setting seemed corny to me. Not epic. It was also ruined by people literally crying their eyes out all around me. Umm, okay? Never experienced that in a theater before!

I told my wife if it ever comes to the Chicago area we can go see it. I've liked the few musicals I've seen on stage before. Although this is an operetta and not a musical. I prefer there to be speaking lines between the songs. This doesn't have that... But now that I've seen and heard it once, theoretically I'll be able to follow along a bit better the second time.

The positives were it was a very well made movie and I did enjoy "Master of the House" quite a bit because it was silly and zaney and not as realisticly portrayed as the rest of the film.

had to do a double take when i first saw this......tobe hoopers les miserables,now that would be fun

We went to see this late last night and I think Anne Hathaway's performance alone justifies the film's existence entirely. I've seen a fair share of Les Mis adaptations, including a couple films and the Broadway show once, and heard quite a few renditions of the songs, and while most of the stuff in the 2012 film fits neither above or below previous offerings, its versions of I Dreamed a Dream and On My Own were the best I've ever heard, not because of technically exemplary singing ability, but the emotions conveyed.

I liked it, but mostly for certain parts, and not the sum. I didn't feel much for Jackman's Valjean, Crowe's Javert, or both Cosette actresses (though Amanda Seyfried is ridiculously beautiful), but they did fine, for the most part. Its Hathaway and Samantha Barks' show.

Hathaway and Crowe were my favorite parts. Without taking away from his acting ability (which is great), Hugh's singing seemed a little dull to me.

It seems Eddie Redmayne is severely unmentioned in his role as Marius. I felt he did a fantastic job. That scene after the revolution, where he reflects on his lost comrades, was very powerful.

I hated this movie. I think I'd prefer seeing it on stage. Seeing people sing everything in such a realistic/gritty setting seemed corny to me. Not epic. It was also ruined by people literally crying their eyes out all around me. Umm, okay? Never experienced that in a theater before!

That happened everywhere when The Passion of the Christ came out. Entire theaters just crying and crying their eyes out.

(some guy even confessed to his gf's murder if I remember correctly)

I've never experienced anyone cry out loud in a theater and can't recall a single peep during Passion of the Christ. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

I've never experienced anyone cry out loud in a theater and can't recall a single peep during Passion of the Christ. Maybe it's a cultural thing.

I don't know, I remember that even made the news. I think I remember one channel was filming reactions of people leaving the theater.

Performances were top notch, camera work and direction was pap.
visually a dud, considering the amazing source material that's not good enough in my book. If you are going to make a movie of a stage show then you need
to make it bigger, grander and more cinematic than is possible on stage. This at times felt like someone with a handheld camera was walking around the actual stage,
sticking the camera in the performers faces everytime they sang. I saw it on TV so maybe I missed out on the big screen experience.

But performances saved it (except for that awful dark haired daughter of bruno and mrs burton).

Back