Tom Hardy is Venom (2018)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How will this movie fare with fans?

• Total voters
I wonder if all Hardy’s favorite scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor will ever find their way into an extended, possibly R rated cut.

While I don’t think we’ll ever see an extended edition, the Blu Ray is supposed to include some deleted scenes.

I caught this on a flight last week, and it was a weird movie. It was pretty bad in almost every way. The writing, the acting, the cinematography, the editing, the music. So cheesy and as obvious a cash grab as you will see from the POV of the one-dimensional characters. Zero chemistry between Hardy and Williams. And the obviously watered down violence to make it PG-13 was really weird. You bite a guy's head off, but no blood???

But somehow, it was still watchable, and ended up being a kind of guilty pleasure for me. I thought the CG Venom, which looked kind of bad and was not nearly as funny as the writers thought he was, had a charm to it. And though Hardy was phoning it in, he also was able to be charismatic and fun enough to watch somehow, despite the cringe-inducing dialog. The post-credits scene also gave me a big smile, even though I hate '90s Spidey comics for the most part.

9 out of 10 times I would have no use for this kind of movie, but I think it was worth watching somehow.

:lol :lol :lol

I'd put it on par with a mid-table MCU film. Won't change cinema but I see no reason to dislike it in particular.

It honestly did feel like an mcu movie. Nothing so different about it. It was funny and had action. Everything snikt hates. It was pretty much the opposite of Logan and it was as safe as they come.
I can't agree with you on the MCU comments (I agree that it's the antithesis of Logan). I think every MCU film has been a quality production overall, and a real joy to watch, even if they aren't all great. This was far below those standards. It felt like what it was--Sony's live action department (because Spideyverse was ****ing amazing, and clearly those people have nothing to do with their live action movies), on the heels of Amazing Spider-Man 2, trying to emulate Marvel Studios' Ant Man or something.

It made money cause venom is popular. I underestimated how popular. But there’s no doubt in my mind the majority of GA think this will be in the MCU and probably will be. Who knows.

I just find it hilarious that it was exact opposite of what snikt said it was going to be. A hard R horror character study that’s a prequel to an existing Spider-Man.

This was originally intended to be part of the ASM universe IIRC. I watched ASM2 the other night and I'm glad it isn't anymore. :lol

Seeing how the villains in the asm movies were all crap venom probably would of been as well

I just watched this. Had no interest in seeing it but my girlfriend rented it and I had nowhere else to go. Not sure if I liked it because it was much better than I expected or if it was just a so bad it's good kind of thing. Either way, definitely Tom Hardy's performance that sold it for me.

It’s definitely near “so bad it’s good” territory, which is why I want them to double down on the cheese in the sequel. I want more fun banter between Eddie and the symbiote.

I saw it last night. It's entertaining if there's nothing to do or watch. Basically, all the Tom Hardy and Venom scenes are entertaining, but every time they cut to the villain, the film just dies. The ending is a cgi fest, the action in it is average or mediocre, and the effects are above average. A sequel can only improve.

I like that the doctor boyfriend was a nice guy, and not the typical jerk that we're supposed to dislike because he's dating the protagonist's girl. Honestly, she's better off with the Doctor. Good guy. I hope they stay together.

Not much else to talk about, the film is as basic and cliché as it gets. The Venom action would have benefited from an R rating, as many have said. I don't know why it made so much money tho.

Just watched this on a cheap rental.

Like 'The Predator' I wasn't expecting much.
Unlike 'The Predator' I really enjoyed it.

First 15 minutes had me worried, bad acting other than TH.
That didn't change much but the lead combined with just the right amount of humour and silliness made it an entertaining watch imo. Glad I ignored the reviews.

Back