To those who couldn't make it to SDCC 09...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bearmodel

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi Guys!

Just back from Comic Con. I was there for Friday and Saturday and thought about sharing my thoughts about the Sideshow Products.....

I was there for about 7 hours in total, which I spend most at Sideshow booth. It was amazing. The Iron Man 1/2 scale is the best product there by far. At almost $2000 and a non-refundable deposit of $390, there was not something I could buy at this moment, but it is an amazing piece.

The Marvel Girl Comiquettes were very impressive too. I particularly liked Mystique. She is a beautiful sculpt, even better than the premium format one. But Scarlett takes the cake. It is a big display with that little robot or whatever and the color and the costume were great. She-Hulk was also very well done. Adam Hughes hit a home run with that one. But i was not very impressed with Black Queen. Didn't like the paint job and the pose seemed a bit awkward....

I wasn't so impressed with the paint job on Abomination. It is a big sculpt but a pass for me. However Venom Comiquette was very impressive. Although not everybody's cup of tea, it was well sculpted and the pose true to the character. I thought the teeth and mouth could have been done better, but this is only the prototype so I expect a even better product when it starts to ship.

I have to say that although Iron man Mark I Maquette had a backstage Pass done, nothing compares to when you see it in person. To me, that will be the top 1/4 scale piece in my collection. The detail is out of this world and it is bigger than I originally thought. I just hope SS do an affordable Mark III 1/4 scale.

The Alien products were the highlight of the booth to many people. The 1/1 scale Predalien Bust is absolutely huge. A must have if you are an big fan. The most detail bust I have ever seen. Expensive? Yes...but worth every penny. I also loved the Alien Warrior Maquette. Some say it is not worth a whopping $800, but I say it is. The Flexpay is a 4 payment plan instead of 3 and the paint job and detail, as well as the pose and the impressive base make this piece worth the price tag.

One of the things I was pleasantly surprised with was the Dinosauria line. Yes, they are smaller than we would like to, but they spared no detail on those pieces. Although my favorite is still the T-rex vs Triceratops, I was blown away by the amount of detail on the Carnotaurus. Man, that thing has every single bump and skin detail that you can possibly put in a sculpture of that size. The newest one, Deinosuchus VS Parasaurolophus, is a scary piece, but follow the amazing quality this original line has brought to us.

Avatar A.M.P. Suit Maquette was one of my favorites. It is highly detailed and it was scaled down from the original 14 feet tall prop suit used in the movie. I wasn't even thinking about getting it until I saw it. It will be a impressive display in your house and I believe it will sky rocket in price once the movie comes out.

KOTCS Indy PF is better in person than the photos. There were complaints about the clothes and him being too old looking, but the face sculpt is nothing short than amazing. Worth having in your collection in my opinion.

G.I.Joe 12 inch Figures are in my opinion the best 12 inches have to offer. The amount of details on those things are mind boggling....Although I don't collect 12 inch figures (yet) I start to think about it after seeing the G.I.Joe display. Even the environments are impressive. I can't wait for the premium formats......

The 3 Legendary Scale busts Sideshow had this year are the best they've done. Galactus is as big as you think it is and it is higly detailed and very well painted. I also liked Carnage. The cool thing about it is the paint job. The eyes look great and gives you an idea what it's coming as far as comiquette is concerned. But the one I was surprised I liked so much was Captain America. It was bigger than I thought and had more detail than I thought. And to top that, the paint job was great.

Ah......Star Wars.....I decided not to collect SW because I can only have room for so much in my house, but the products are getting so good that I might rethink my decision.... Yoda and Clone Trooper is AMAZING. This is the first time we get a Clone Trooper 1/4 scale and although his pose is not the best because he's being terminated, it is an very impressive sculpture. Yoda looks very good, specially his face. I also liked Count Dooku Premium Format. It is really well done too. The likeness is better than I remember in the photos and the outfit is superb.

Impressive was the size of the LSB Commander Cody. They added a arm and much of the torso making this 1/2 scale bust one if not the biggest to date, except maybe for Galactus.

I have to add that was impressed with T-600 Life Size bust. It is B-E-A--U-T-I-F-U-L. I have the Arnie bust and that will go great with my collection.

Another review I should talk about is Diablo Overthrown. For some strange reason it looks smaller than I remember from last year and it is really cool. There are a lot of detail and it is a great piece considering the price of $299.

Finally Legolas Premium Format. It is absolutely amazing. The outfit is very impressive and the face is great. Some might say it doesn't look like Mr. Bloom, but I say bull#*@. It is as close as you can get in my opinion and the pose is simple but very fitting to the rest of the sculpture. One thing I liked a lot \was the Orc skull on the base. At first I thought "Mehh" but once I saw it in person, I 'm happy I ordered the exclusive. Can't wait to get it....

And there we go, guys. I can't comment on everything that was there at Sideshow booth but I was very happy that nothing disappointed me. Everything that I thought were just okay ended up being better than I originally thought.

Yeah, we can order online or look at the photos a million times, but nothing beats being there and seeing the products displayed from every single angle. The people are great, the displays impressive and you'll have a lot of fun meeting the guys who make our addiction possible.

See you next year......

Cheers

Bear

I couldn't make it this year, but let me say thank you for that great and thorough report! It was the next best thing to being there, getting to hear from collectors like you. There's nothing like walking around that booth and seeing so much cool stuff right in front of you.

So Bear,

How was the scale for the Alien Warrior Maquette? Is it 1/4 scale? I'm on the fence about getting it because of the price and I would like it to be a large scale.

Thanks man! Nice write up.

What did you think of the SS T-Rex? I've only seen a couple of pics from the show & it seemed to be the lesser of the Dinosauria pieces... Hope not.

Nice report bear, you gotta hit the tinfish out front and get loaded and wander the con.

After like 3 beers I couldnt stop staring at carnage

G.I.Joe 12 inch Figures are in my opinion the best 12 inches have to offer. The amount of details on those things are mind boggling....Although I don't collect 12 inch figures (yet) I start to think about it after seeing the G.I.Joe display. Even the environments are impressive. I can't wait for the premium formats......

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

I REALLY hope this line has the life span of the SW 12" line!

:rock :rock :rock :rock :rock

I REALLY hope this line has the life span of the SW 12" line!

I totally agree. I don't collect 12 inch figures either but when I first glanced at the G.I. Joe figures, I'm like wow nice little statues...then at closer inspection... wait whaaaat they are 12 inch figures??

Fantastic, detailed review of the Con! But I would like to have heard more on the T.rex maquette. :eek::D

An awesome, detailed report of the Con! Though I would like to have heard more on the T.rex maquette... :eek::D

So Bear,

How was the scale for the Alien Warrior Maquette? Is it 1/4 scale? I'm on the fence about getting it because of the price and I would like it to be a large scale.

I have to say that I was very happy with the scale of the Alien Warrior Ma quette. It looks like a 1/4 scale considering the Alien is a big creature, but it feels like a 1/3 scale. It is not too big that you won't find a place to display it, and the base make it look even more impressive.

I still think it is worth the price tag. Yeah, maybe it could have been around $600 bucks, but once you see it in person, you understand why it is an expensive piece

Thanks man! Nice write up.

What did you think of the SS T-Rex? I've only seen a couple of pics from the show & it seemed to be the lesser of the Dinosauria pieces... Hope not.

I don't know it is the lesser of the line, but it is one of those pieces that they could have done more to it. However, because the T-Rex with the Triceratops was so well done, I understand why they want to do something a bit different. The detail is still impressive and the paint job superb. I liked it a lot and if I collect the line, I would not pass on this one. It is a great piece.

So Bear,

So Bear,

I have to say that I was very happy with the scale of the Alien Warrior Ma quette. It looks like a 1/4 scale considering the Alien is a big creature, but it feels like a 1/3 scale. It is not too big that you won't find a place to display it, and the base make it look even more impressive.

I still think it is worth the price tag. Yeah, maybe it could have been around $600 bucks, but once you see it in person, you understand why it is an expensive piece

So Bear,

I think the Alien Warrior Maquette was the perfect scale. It looks like a 1/3 scale because of the size, but if you remember how big the alien is in the movie, then you can see it is a 1/4 scale.

The base makes it even more impressive. It is simple but adds tons to the whole sculpture. The paint job is absolutely superb and although I think it could have been around $650 bucks, the Flexpay is divided in 4 payments instead of 3 and once you see it in person, you will forget it about the price tag.

How was the scale for the Alien Warrior Maquette? Is it 1/4 scale? I'm on the fence about getting it because of the price and I would like it to be a large scale.[/QUOTE]

I think the Alien Warrior Maquette was the perfect scale. It looks like a 1/3 scale because of the size, but if you remember how big the alien is in the movie, then you can see it is a 1/4 scale.

The base makes it even more impressive. It is simple but adds tons to the whole sculpture. The paint jobis absolutely superb and although I think it could have been around $650 bucks, the Flexpay is divided in 4 payments instead of 3 and once you see it in person, you will forget it about the price tag.

Back