TMNT (teenage mutant ninja turtles)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great find. I still love the NECA version the best.

Been playing around adding a paint wash to my Turtles. I'm a total novice, but I'm pleased with the results. Some aren't as dirty looking as mine, but since they live in a sewer I figured the dirtier the better.

Untitled by TheLegoJoker, on Flickr

11" Nick TMNT Raph w/ wash & Don pre-wash. by TheLegoJoker, on Flickr

Wow it looks awesome. Can you explain how you did that? I wanna try that with mine. What kind of paint did you use?

I used a black acrylic paint from Michael's Craft store, diluted it with just a dab of water, and then painted the figure one body part at a time. For instance, I would paint an entire arm black, then immediately wipe it off with a dry paper towel. The paint sticks in the crevices, but I was pleasantly surprised with the "dirty" look that stayed behind on the figure. I'm guessing it's from dry wiping instead of wiping with a wet paper towel.

It was my first attempt at adding a wash to a figure, so if I'm able to do it, anyone can. Just remember to work in small areas instead of trying to paint the whole figure at once.

Well, the 11" figures already have the eyeballs painted, so I didn't change that. I did, however, paint over the eyes with the black then wiped it out to get the outline around the edge of the eyes.

Here are mine that I got repainted and with some dry blood. Turtles don't have time to wash up after a good fight! ;)

BDABB5DE-FB5C-4C41-8BD4-99B9E5D602CA-21385-000018A781987049.jpg

Here are mine that I got repainted and with some dry blood. Turtles don't have time to wash up after a good fight! ;)

BDABB5DE-FB5C-4C41-8BD4-99B9E5D602CA-21385-000018A781987049.jpg
It's hard to tell, but did you add the freckles Mikey would've originally had, like the ones featured on the exclusive? I wouldn't even be asking if I hadn't seen a review on youtube of that particular Mikey.

---
Yes, I've been watching reviews of these trying to keep myself from opening the one figure I do have, while waiting for the full set to arrive, lol. It's like I'm a kid again. Not even the NECA figs managed to do this. In fact, no other toyline, or toy, has come this close to gushing my brains out with nostalgia.

And while these "new" itterations of the Turtles may be a bit of a departure from the '87 designs, I think the homage they pay to the original toys is simply remarkable and is something I'm not entirely sure has ever been done before. The whole toyline, in and of itself, is like a modern take on what we had in the late 80's and early 90's as kids. It's not like with the '03 toys, which were great figures and resembled the original toy designs, but the line seemed like it wanted to pave its own way or conform to modern standards. Which, in reality, isn't necessarily a bad thing, I guess, but for those like myself, who grew up with the '88 Turtles, this line brings back so many fond memories.

It's hard to properly put into words, because so many aspects resemble the '88 toyline, yet it still emits it's own brand of uniqueness and flare. I really like the art direction of the Turtles. It's something we haven't really seen before, outside of fan art perhaps. I'm loving the proportions and sculpts on these guys. They actually seem like turtles that have mutated and come to life, who were then shrunk down to scale, though ultimately without claws. While I love them to death, I always thought the vintage Turtles figures more resembled mutated pets, sans the oversized growth... if that makes any sense, lol.

Anyway, loving all these repaints I'm seeing while browsing the net, the ones in this very thread being some of the best so far! Keep it up guys! :clap

Last edited:
cplhicks you must have bought them from the silversnail. they gave %50 off to everyone who volunteered with their moving event. I got a leo and mike, later went back for another don and ralph but they were all gone. I got there faster cause I took the metro. they had 1 Leo 2 Mike's and full pegs of Ralp and Don surprised cause other places or sold out.

Bingo!!!

I had a great day :)

you must have got there before me cause I grabbed the last Leo, and there was just one more mikey left. one early bird spent $1200 on starwars statues and stuff and that's after the 50% off.

you must have got there before me cause I grabbed the last Leo, and there was just one more mikey left. one early bird spent $1200 on starwars statues and stuff and that's after the 50% off.

I had my set before 11:30am.

Money has been tight and I live in Mississauga so I was taking public transit home so I thought discretion was best :)

Well, I had to do it. I went back for the other three little guys to get a complete carded set of the Turtles. I guess I can sacrifice my occasional chinese take-out or pizza later in the week, lol. Ramen noodles it is. For the greater good!

TMNT_turtle_1.jpg

Dear god! That's just a wash? What colors? They look amazing!

****, I may have to grab a third set now and try an experimental wash procedure. Never done a full fledged wash before though, mostly just particular areas. Err, that sounds unhygienic, lol.

Last edited:
Thanks, man. Just used an acrylic black diluted with just a touch of water. Never tried anything like this before, but I am absolutely thrilled with the result.

I was just checking the playmates site. In their shop they have a redeco of Leonardo. Its called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Night Shadow Leonardo.
Looks pretty cool.

I was just checking the playmates site. In their shop they have a redeco of Leonardo. Its called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Night Shadow Leonardo.
Looks pretty cool.

Yeah thats the SDCC exclusive, be warned its not an action figure, its a 4" statue:monkey1

Nice custom guys! Glad to see these selling. Just went to my local Walmart and not single figure or vehicle was on the self. Either it sold out or they just put price tags on the pegs and shelf.

Wonder once the cartoon comes out if the toys will be a hit with the younger age.

I know I already have these along with the 80s DVD but can't find it. My son is also a TMNT fan so I got this
3CB8A8F5-B71A-4E7E-A487-BFED4E6CE708-5932-000006363E0087DB.jpg

Lol nothing beats the oringinal tmnt movie. Nothing !! Hands down the best interpretation of the characters i've ever seen. A mix of comic and cartoon and i hope the new movie follows its formula becuase the new cartoon is to but also so did the 03 version but I didnt like that one.
its sad that with every new movie they downgraded there looks and made then look like freaking frogs by the third movie. i remember as a kid i went crazy the first time leonardo jumped on screen. he looked so damn real. i was like three I think.

Back