Titanic 3D 2012

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feel about Cameron's Titanic these days?

• Excellent film, deserved all its awards

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • Very good film, but not quite Best Picture material

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • well....its alright

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Utterly crap

Votes: 11 18.6%

• Total voters
The idea that it is a gravesite and should be left alone is one I sympathize with, but it's not a POV which most take with regards to Native American burial sites (which in many cases are only a few hundred years older). I would like to see more of the ships ruins be documented but on the whole I agree that it should be left at the bottom.

I think I agree with you to an extent. They shouldn't be trying to yank stuff off the actual ship. Picking stuff up from the debris field? Hmmm, maybe that at most (which obviously they have been doing)

I'm not sure I agree that its a grave site strictly speaking. Well its certainly not a grave anyone would have chosen. And isn't that what a grave is? A specific, deliberate place of burial. The Titanic is hardly that. I appreciate that this is probably a unique case though because of how long ago it was and the fact technology to reach the wreck didn't exist in 1912 to run the kind of salvage operation and body recovery that otherwise would surely have been done. Take the recent Concordia disaster - you wouldn't call that a grave site, you recover everything and everyone you can, you don't leave it there. With Titanic though, the sea has owned it for much longer than man did I guess.

I definitely think the time & limited means of recovery play into it a lot. Of course, with a more recent wreck, you do whatever you can to recover the bodies. Had the Titanic sank two months ago, no one would think, "Leave them in the ocean, that's their grave."

But the Titanic victims are not even there any more, physically. So it's more of a symbolic grave site.

Well, third class passengers were gated in at almost all points. But it wasn't to keep them from escaping. It was meant as a quarantine. This way when the ship docked, only the third class passengers would need to get health inspections, which would save a lot of time.
While yes, gates did exist in real life, they also did not have locks. It was just a handle and the honor code that prevented third class passengers from roaming free.

I don't know how high the angle was in the movie, but it peaked at about 10 degrees when the bow finally snapped off.
In the movie it was changed to 30 degrees. While there certainly is a possibility it did go higher than the strength of the steel says it should (just because something is rated for a certain amount of force does not mean it will instantly fracture at one pound over), there is no way it reached as high as 30 degrees, as Cameron has stated he believes it did.

As for the issue of salvaging, im personally all for it in every way. While I am definatly against selling the artifacts to private collectors, I think it is important that we try and preserve as much as possible from the ship, both debris and pieces of the ship itself. The ship is decomposing either way, atleast with salvage part of it can be preserved for future generations. While yes, it can technicly be considered graverobbing; so is the vast majority of all archeology.

There are probably very few bodies that were ever there in the first place. 320 of the bodies were recovered by salvage vessals after the disaster, and the vast majority of others probably drifted for months until they decomposed away. Very few would have actually sunk right away and ended up where the ship is.

Last edited:
While yes, gates did exist in real life, they also did not have locks. It was just a handle and the honor code that prevented third class passengers from roaming free.

That's definitely possible. I've read that other ships had used locks, but don't remember actually reading that Titanic did. In fact, that might actually make more sense. Since the ship went above and beyond everyone's expectations about the standard of the third class areas, treating them a bit more humanely and less like cattle would follow that logic.

In the movie it was changed to 30 degrees. While there certainly is a possibility it did go higher than the strength of the steel says it should (just because something is rated for a certain amount of force does not mean it will instantly fracture at one pound over), there is no way it reached as high as 30 degrees, as Cameron has stated he believes it did.

This is one of those Cameron things I was mentioning. The guy is in the top fraction of a percentile when it comes to Titanic knowledge. But I don't think there's ever been anything to support anything close to that angle - not eyewitness testimony, or any significant re-creation data. I think sometimes he just lets the fantastical aspects of the sinking pollute his factual data.

As for the issue of salvaging, im personally all for it in every way. While I am definatly against selling the artifacts to private collectors, I think it is important that we try and preserve as much as possible from the ship, both debris and pieces of the ship itself. The ship is decomposing either way, atleast with salvage part of it can be preserved for future generations. While yes, it can technicly be considered graverobbing; so is the vast majority of all archeology.

There are probably very few bodies that were ever there in the first place. 320 of the bodies were recovered by salvage vessals after the disaster, and the vast majority of others probably drifted for months until they decomposed away. Very few would have actually sunk right away and ended up where the ship is.

That's why I think of it as a symbolic grave site. Since so many bodies were never recovered, the ship is the logical focal point as a grave. Sure, most of them didn't go down with the ship. But some certainly did. I would be more inclined to have less of an opinion, if I hadn't read so many family members thinking of it that way.

And I am definitely torn on salvaging. Emotionally, I'd like it left to rest. If nature takes it away, so be it. But then there's the side that does think it's important that future generations be able to experience it in some way.

A few months back, I did the Titanic exhibit at the Luxor - it is really well done. And being around all of the exhibits gave me a really weird feeling. It's hard to describe, just this mixture of awe and a truly uncomfortable emotion. It's probably the closest I could ever come to seeing a ghost.

There actually is a Titanic 2. Though its not a sequel to Cameron's film, just a film about a ship called 'Titanic 2' that also sinks presumably. I haven't seen it.

Titanic 3 already? i didn't even see the second one!

You've never seen this masterpiece?

titanic-2.jpg

And yes. It is real.

I have 0 interest in seeing this in 3D but I did pick up a couple of prints last night that were on the table when I went to see Cabin again.

I will probably give them away during spook.

I took a really crappy pic of the print last night with my phone, in a poorly lit room.

IMG00354-20120414-0003.jpg

Back