Tip for eBay

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you actually trying to rewrite your issue with Shady to prove a point ?
.....or has the exact same thing happened to you in two different auction methods ?

I think you're only choice is to launch the biggest international legal case in history to adequately compensate you for your pain and suffering and loss of Star Wars toy enjoyment.

Or pick up the shattered pieces of your life and move on....

:lol :lol :lol

At least we all know to NEVER deal with this guy.

Leave negative feedback, you can't force him to send something he doesn't want to.
As already said, he can just say it was damaged while preparing to ship.
If you don't cancel the purchase he will have to chase his eBay fees.

Are you actually trying to rewrite your issue with Shady to prove a point ?
.....or has the exact same thing happened to you in two different auction methods ?

I think you're only choice is to launch the biggest international legal case in history to adequately compensate you for your pain and suffering and loss of Star Wars toy enjoyment.

Or pick up the shattered pieces of your life and move on....

Remember each time Manhunto makes a payment for an overseas purchase, he pays a currency exchange charge which does not get refunded.. so Manhunto is taking a hit each time that happens.. regarding the other transaction, Shady's initial refund to Manhunto was $45 short because Shady 'didn't have the money'.. plenty of other Forum members would not have been very happy about that reasoning, if they had been the buyer.

Manhunto appears to be a new collector, and he is asking for advice on issues we happen to already know the answers to, simply because of past experience, either directly or having read about similar cases on this forum.. . So, not sure why he is taking so much flak, apart from the fact he is using translation software and doesn't live in the USA?

Remember each time Manhunto makes a payment for an overseas purchase, he pays a currency exchange charge which does not get refunded.. so Manhunto is taking a hit each time that happens.. regarding the other transaction, Shady's initial refund to Manhunto was $45 short because Shady 'didn't have the money'.. plenty of other Forum members would not have been very happy about that reasoning, if they had been the buyer.

Manhunto appears to be a new collector, and he is asking for advice on issues we happen to already know the answers to, simply because of past experience, either directly or having read about similar cases on this forum.. . So, not sure why he is taking so much flak, apart from the fact he is using translation software and doesn't live in the USA?
If you are a risky looking buyer that is kind of expected. Plenty of sellers have disclaimers they won't sell to low feedback/unverified/risky buyers. People just don't want a hassle of dealing with a new buyer who may not be familiar with common practices and/or how we are different than Amazon or another huge company that can risk the loss.

Well at least look at my location when replying with advice about the difficulties non US buyers face.

It is bizarre he got hit twice with the same issue simultaneously and is ranting about the same thing on two different threads, hence my question whether or not he is trying to rephrase the 'shady deal' to us to prove a point.
A poor run of luck if so, but the same advice on the other thread is going to apply here .... And it's going to be the same set of posters so the advice in reply is going to be the same.

Well at least look at my location when replying with advice about the difficulties non US buyers face.

It is bizarre he got hit twice with the same issue simultaneously and is ranting about the same thing on two different threads, hence my question whether or not he is trying to rephrase the 'shady deal' to us to prove a point.
A poor run of luck if so, but the same advice on the other thread is going to apply here .... And it's going to be the same set of posters so the advice in reply is going to be the same.

Paying buy credit card for overseas purchases is not foolhardy and not getting a full refund because the Seller is short of money, is not the Buyers fault.. if no-one sold to peeps with a limited eBay rating, no-one would ever be able to get an eBay rating.

* Manhunto's first problem was because the Seller realised that having avoided all fees (No eBay and PayPal via a gift) there was the possibility of a PayPal chargeback because payment was made via a credit card, and so backed out of the deal with Manhunto, despite Manhunto having done everything asked of him.. then the Seller failed to refund in full.

* Manhunto's second problem was a Selller who decided the auction had not raised enough money.. and so backed out of the deal with Manhunto

Neither of those cases are Manhunto's fault and he posted threads seeking advice from other Collectors.. use of the word 'rant' appears to be hyperbole, no?
The fact I chose to use your quote for making a point, does not mean the entirety of my response is solely aimed at you.

Paying buy credit card for overseas purchases is not foolhardy and not getting a full refund because the Seller is short of money, is not the Buyers fault.. if no-one sold to peeps with a limited eBay rating, no-one would ever be able to get an eBay rating.

* Manhunto's first problem was because the Seller realised that having avoided all fees (No eBay and PayPal via a gift) there was the possibility of a PayPal chargeback because payment was made via a credit card, and so backed out of the deal with Manhunto, despite Manhunto having done everything asked of him.. then the Seller failed to refund in full.

* Manhunto's second problem was a Selller who decided the auction had not raised enough money.. and so backed out of the deal with Manhunto

Neither of those cases are Manhunto's fault and he posted threads seeking advice from other Collectors.. use of the word 'rant' appears to be hyperbole, no?
The fact I chose to use your quote for making a point, does not mean the entirety of my response is solely aimed at you.

Yes both threads are about a seller backing out and refunding. We get that.

Yes both auctions are about a seller backing out and refunding. We get that.
And You now take issue with word 'rant'? Lulz ok.

No, I'm taking issue with the fact everyone here seems to have decided Manhunto is dodgy, on exactly ZERO evidence.. apart from the fact he uses translation software, lives in Europe and Shady claimed he was not verified.

..except Shady offered no evidence Manhunto was not verified ( and Manhunto posted screen shots to back his claim he is verified) plus Shady couldn't offer a full refund when bailing on that deal.. imho, the real issue appeared to be Shady's concern over the risk of a credit card chargeback, which is fair enough, but should have been raised with Manhunto during negotiations before payment.. Manhunto has done nothing wrong (with the possible exception of naively posting confidential information online, to support his case)

So, I'm not seeing a whole lot of reason for the unedifying rush to beat on Manhunto, rather than offer constructive advice to a newbie Collector.

No, I'm taking issue with the fact everyone here seems to have decided Manhunto is dodgy, on exactly ZERO evidence.. apart from the fact he uses translation software, lives in Europe and Shady claimed he was not verified.

..except Shady offered no evidence Manhunto was not verified ( and Manhunto posted screen shots to back his claim he is verified) plus Shady couldn't offer a full refund when bailing on that deal.. imho, the real issue appeared to be Shady's concern over the risk of a credit card chargeback, which is fair enough, but should have been raised with Manhunto during negotiations before payment.. Manhunto has done nothing wrong (with the possible exception of naively posting confidential information online, to support his case)

So, I'm not seeing a whole lot of reason for the unedifying rush to beat on Manhunto, rather than offer constructive advice to a newbie Collector.

Shady did post this in the original thread (post #34) explaining the unverified thing:

"Ok I might as well finish,when payment was sent he was not verified..he wanted me to ship the helmet that day or the next so he could get it fast..I told him I couldn't because I was busy and I wanted to call paypal..last night I asked him for his email,he said which one eBay or paypal..I got suspicious and that's when I. called paypal after he gave me a email (or one of them) then they told me he could do a chargeback on this transaction because he used a credit card.paypal is the one that told me to be cautious with this deal and I did what I wanted to do which was cancel it.. "

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?148009-Bury-all-do-business-with-shadysearl0

Regardless, that thread already got shut down so will this one at the rate it's going. :lol

I don't think Manhunto is dodgy or shady.
I think a couple of US sellers got terrified of selling to a foreign country and backed out.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Shady's refund issue in this thread, there is a separate thread for that.

This thread is about him asking if its 'legal' for a seller to refund an ebay auction 'cause they feel like it and what he can do about it.
Answer: Its not supposed to be. Nothing you can do. Move on.

Shady did post this in the original thread (post #34) explaining the unverified thing:

"Ok I might as well finish,when payment was sent he was not verified..he wanted me to ship the helmet that day or the next so he could get it fast..I told him I couldn't because I was busy and I wanted to call paypal..last night I asked him for his email,he said which one eBay or paypal..I got suspicious and that's when I. called paypal after he gave me a email (or one of them) then they told me he could do a chargeback on this transaction because he used a credit card.paypal is the one that told me to be cautious with this deal and I did what I wanted to do which was cancel it.. "

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?148009-Bury-all-do-business-with-shadysearl0

Regardless, that thread already got shut down so will this one at the rate it's going. :lol

Yup, I read what Shady wrote.. I also read this response from Manhunto -

Manhunto said:
Firstly, my account is verified for a long time, confirm the attached photo....

So there appears to be a discrepancy between the two claims and I am simply making the point Manhunto offered evidence to support his.. I'm sure we would all just like to know that Shady did the right thing and Manhunto got the final $45 of his refund.

I don't think Manhunto is dodgy or shady.
I think a couple of US sellers got terrified of selling to a foreign country and backed out.

I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Shady's refund issue in this thread, there is a separate thread for that.

This thread is about him asking if its 'legal' for a seller to refund an ebay auction 'cause they feel like it and what he can do about it.
Answer: Its not supposed to be. Nothing you can do. Move on.

Now the advice at the end of your post was more what I was expecting to see (although slightly lacking in empathy and detail) from other Collectors, rather than all the flak Manhunto was taking.. with people suggesting they wanted to bar him from bidding on stuff and telling him not to get harsh on the eBay Seller who reneged on his auction, because that might mean the Seller would have complications with eBay fees.

Seriously?!.. How come everyone's heart is bleeding for an eBay Seller, who appears to have been both dumb and greedy? ..that left me gobsmacked.. and wondering how many peeps here knew that Seller, as well as Shady.. because otherwise the amount of grief Manhunto was taking, made no sense.. considering he had been stiffed by two Sellers and his 'heinous crimes' were not sucking it up quietly, and asking for advice.
Sheesh!.. talk about an inflated sense of entitlement in the Selling community.

Yup, I read what Shady wrote.. I also read this response from Manhunto -

So there appears to be a discrepancy between the two claims and I am simply making the point Manhunto offered evidence to support his.. I'm sure we would all just like to know that Shady did the right thing and Manhunto got the final $45 of his refund.

Now the advice at the end of your post was more what I was expecting to see (although slightly lacking in empathy and detail) from other Collectors. rather than all the flak Manhunto was taking.. with people suggesting they wanted to bar him from bidding on stuff and telling him not to get harsh on the eBay Seller who reneged on his auction, because that might mean the Seller would have complications with eBay fees.

Seriously?!.. How come everyone's heart is bleeding for an eBay Seller, who appears to have been both dumb and greedy? ..that left me gobsmacked.. and wondering how many peeps here knew that Seller, as well as Shady.. because otherwise the amount of grief Manhunto was taking, made no sense.. considering he had been stiffed by two Sellers and his 'heinous crimes' were not sucking it up quietly, and asking for advice.
Sheesh!.. talk about an inflated sense of entitlement in the Selling community.

??????
This post might take the 'Idiotic Speculation and Generalization of The Year' award.

??????
This post might take the 'Idiotic Speculation and Generalization of The Year' award.

How so?.. the Seller bailed on the auction because he didn't get enough money for the item.. So, 'dumb' because he didn't place a reserve on his auction ..and 'greedy' because the item is only worth what a buyer will pay on the day.. if the Seller can't handle that level of complexity, there is a simple solution - Keep listing the item as Buy It Now, until it sells.. or doesn't

How so?.. the Seller bailed on the auction because he didn't get enough money for the item.. So, 'dumb' because he didn't place a reserve on his auction ..and 'greedy' because the item is only worth what a buyer will pay on the day.. if the Seller can't handle that level of complexity, there is a simple solution - Keep listing the item as Buy It Now, until it sells.. or doesn't

1. telling him not to get harsh on the eBay Seller - Speculation.
2. everyone's heart is bleeding for an eBay Seller - Generalizing.
3. appears to have been both dumb and greedy - Speculation.
4. how many peeps here knew that Seller, as well as Shady. - Idiotic Speculation.
5. had been stiffed by two Sellers - Speculation.
6. talk about an inflated sense of entitlement in the Selling community - Idiotic Generalization.

That's 'how so'. My impression from that post has nothing to do with Manhunto, shady, buyers, sellers, etc.

1. telling him not to get harsh on the eBay Seller - Speculation.

Nope, not specualtion -
67L88Stingray said:
If you are a risky looking buyer that is kind of expected. Plenty of sellers have disclaimers they won't sell to low feedback/unverified/risky buyers. People just don't want a hassle of dealing with a new buyer

2. everyone's heart is bleeding for an eBay Seller - Generalizing.

See the above quote again, including the "plenty of Sellers" bit.. did you forget to tell 67L88Stingray how much you disapprove of 'Generalising'?.
A chunk of the responses to both Manhunto's threads, have mitigated the actions of the two sellers..you may feel that is generalizing, but if I had used detailed statistics and cited every example, would you have bothered to read them?.. I doubt it.

3. appears to have been both dumb and greedy - Speculation.

Seller stated he was not proceeding with the sale because the price was too low.. therefore not speculation.. in which case the Seller was indeed 'dumb and greedy' for the reasons stated in my last post.

4. how many peeps here knew that Seller, as well as Shady. - Idiotic Speculation.

I clearly stated "wondering" (the fact you 'accidentally' excised that word from your quote is duly noted) ..which is reasonable given the number of people beating on Manhunto and the fact the Toy Collecting community is not actually that large.. so, I had already stated I was 'speculating'.. thanks for pointing out the blatantly obvious.

5. had been stiffed by two Sellers - Speculation.

Fact.. as detailed in both threads: A cancelled deal by the Seller and (to date) only partial refund on the first occasion.. and a cancelled deal due to the Seller wanting more money on the second occasion.. so not speculation at all.. naturally I look forward to your personal definition of 'stiffed' and why I may not use the term except in strict accordance with your authoritative definition, in your response.

6. talk about an inflated sense of entitlement in the Selling community - Idiotic Generalization.

Many of the negative comments have been from people who have stated they do not wish to sell to buyers like Manhunto.. see 67L88Stingray (oh so naughty) generalisation '"plenty of sellers'" again, as evidence .. indeed a quite regular theme when this subject is raised in threads, is 'the trouble with dastardly buyers'.. Unless you are attempting to suggest, that I am applying that to every single person in the Selling community, which is clearly not the case.. if it was, I would have stated 'the inflated sense of entitlement of the entire Selling community .. Apologies, if I am not spoon feeding each and every sentence, at a doctorate thesis level of detail.. but if I did, peeps would simply complain about the wall of text, instead.

Is using the word 'idiotic' on a regular basis, really your best intellectual debating pwnage?.... *yawn*

I can only advise some sellers to consider a reserve bid approach. It might save some problems.

67L88Stingray does not represent 'the community'.
Whatever seller stated is hearsay - You don't know what has been said.
Your little jabs, with did I 'bother to read this' or did I 'forget to mention that' are nothing than a petty pissing competition, coming from a self-appointed internet attorney, and wrapping them in fancy lingo does not change what they are.
Manhunto asked a simple question - Was it legal, and what can he do. He got a few simple, yet accurate answers, and that is all there is to it. Keep digging into it - Picking fights, dissecting posts, dragging them over 4 pages, is nothing more than an internet blah blah, and yes, it is totally idiotic if you really think about it.
Now, not to follow your own example - I've answered Manhunto's question, then, 4 pages later, commented on yours ( don't even know why I've bothered ), and here's where I get off this 'Titanic'. You'd be smart to do the same.
Sayonara.

67L88Stingray does not represent 'the community'.
Whatever seller stated is hearsay - You don't know what has been said.
Your little jabs, with did I 'bother to read this' or did I 'forget to mention that' are nothing than a petty pissing competition, coming from a self-appointed internet attorney, and wrapping them in fancy lingo does not change what they are.
Manhunto asked a simple question - Was it legal, and what can he do. He got a few simple, yet accurate answers, and that is all there is to it. Keep digging into it - Picking fights, dissecting posts, dragging them over 4 pages, is nothing more than an internet blah blah, and yes, it is totally idiotic if you really think about it.
Now, not to follow your own example - I've answered Manhunto's question, then, 4 pages later, commented on yours ( don't even know why I've bothered ), and here's where I get off this 'Titanic'. You'd be smart to do the same.
Sayonara.

:lol :wave

Actually both threads have a number of comments directly from sellers, so yes we do know what they said. I simply chose one example from this thread, to represent all those comments.. it appears you just didn't like me criticising anyone in the Seller community, for any reason, period.

As to my supposedly failing to address Manhunto's question ..Page 1 of thread -

... make sure you get a prompt refund, leave negative feedback and keep looking.

Back