Threezero Game of Thrones - Daenerys Targaryen!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
“Happy enough” the reason these guys continue to phone it in and make all of the product suck is because of this attitude. You are not getting what you are promised

Agreed. No idea why people think spending $200 on “its ok” is good enough, but to each their own.

I have to agree. Tbh, I was taken aback when people started receiving theirs and they were just happy with it. It's like people are trying to find a silver lining anywhere they can with this one. I thought there would be enough people to bombard threezero's email with what we thought of this. Looks like I was the only one....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Agreed. No idea why people think spending $200 on “its ok” is good enough, but to each their own.

I'll explain using LOTR. The big boys on the collecting block don't seem to want to touch LOTR. AFAIK the license was untouched since SST had it. So Asmus comes along and gets the license. They start out a bit rough but most figures get better with each release. They are close renditions of the characters but none are perfect. Much better than SST's attempts though. I as a collector and a huge LOTR fan have to take a gamble. Do I buy these figures that are pretty good or do I hope that a company like HT's jumps on the license which I'm pretty sure they won't. So it's get figures that are close or have none at all. The choice is pretty clear and easy for me.

Last edited:
An understandable position. I mean, that's why I've been buying them. But I'd still think people would let threezero know that head sculpt is ********.

An understandable position. I mean, that's why I've been buying them. But I'd still think people would let threezero know that head sculpt is ********.

A comparable female figure from Hot Toys is about 50 bucks more. 50 dollars extra per figure will buy some better sculptors but will lose some customers. I think at the price point that 3zero and Asmus are they don't have the top talent in the business. In simpler words I think these are the best they can do. For many like me, they are good enough.

I don't think it's as simple as some of you want to see it. I honestly think Threezero puts a lot of effort on their figures. They show it. Is not like they are laughing in a seat seeing us buying their subpar toys cause we'll take whatever they throw to us. There's a lot of moments when a project can turn wrong, and this particular figure shows a good effort on it. But we all agree that there are some key flaws. The size looks a bit too small, the sculpt might have suffered a slight deformation in production, and the paintjob, while decent, is not as good as the promo pics showed, which takes the likeness off. Now you guys have a theory, if we don't buy the figure and they don't sell, they'll go back to the drawing table and start a new figure, better than the previous one. I don't think this would happen. If the sales are not enough, they'll think that GoT don't sell enough, and they'll abandon the line, or they'll assign less resources to it, cutting edges to make the next figure profitable. That's what happened with many lines before, so there are some of us that choose supporting the line, cause the figures are not that bad, and because of the lower price you can try and make them better customizing, repainting or just keeping them as they are, with their flaws and all.

Yea, they clearly phoned it in with this headsculpt lol. Bootleg status

It is what it is. They have the license, its this or nothing. I just wish they would not take photos until the final product is done and we get what they show us. I think that's where most people get upset. Its never as good as the prototype.

I personally will support the line as is. Its not perfect but I'm happy with it. If I don't like it I'll get a custom head if available.

It is what it is. They have the license, its this or nothing. I just wish they would not take photos until the final product is done and we get what they show us. I think that's were most people get upset. Its never as good as the prototype.

I completely understand people liking their figures, with some reservations.

Regarding the headsculpt, the main problem is presenting a prototype that different from the final product. Many that bought (or got hyped) by the prototype will feel cheated and will cancel, sell, or not even buy the figure. Those with a higher acceptance (or even other motivations, like helping keep the line alive by investing in it) will buy and keep their figure.
In the end, the personal outcome for each collector would be the same if a closer to production prototype was shown, with the difference that those that dislike the product would have known earlier and would not be angry now (and the company would avoid the backlash it is getting in the forums).

The head and figure size thing is a complicated point, as there is no a real scale to the actors height in general.
In the end, a shorter figure can seem strangely undersized even if the height is right in comparison to the actor (a bit like what some feel with hot toys Jyn Erso). In this case, although the actress is kind of short, her body type is not that petit, so it adds to the strange "feel". It's safer to work in a proximity height between figures in a line (in 6th scale, it's even better to follow hot Toys, which is the market leader and a lot of people might want to mix their figures) unless height is a really important feature in the character (like Vader or Tyrion).

I just don't understand how a prototype sculpt can be so good and then take a left turn like this. Like seriously what the hell happened? The original get accidentally damaged and Threezero had to make a new one or something?

If it was just a lackluster paint job, that would be one thing, and most of us are pretty accustomed to that kind of thing. But a warped, undersized head that barely looks like the original sculpt anymore and makes the entire figure look out of scale is just a whole other thing in my book.

Guys, how is this confusing? If you want to get technical, there are millions of different examples of one person genuinely liking / accepting something that someone else genuinely doesn't like / can't accept/ morally objects.

Fact 1: Proto looked better
Fact 2: Final product was a downgrade
Fact 3: Its a disappointment because its "not what you promised" and "not what you paid for"
Fact 4: Some people, despite the disappointment, still want to buy and own it
Fact 5: Some people, due to the disappointment, decide to return or sit this one out

Am I missing anything? Is this not just like how everything in life is? And don't tell me you can associate a person's overall "standards" by their standards on 1/6 toys. Just maybe as a "happy enough" 3Zero Daenerys owner and a 1/6 collector of "lower standard", I have higher standards in everything else than you in life. Just a thought.

And yes, that repaint earlier was quite good, especially the pictures in the later post. But for me personally I don't think I'd bother getting this sculpt a repaint. For one thing repaints aren't cheap, and depending who you ask to commission they can he considerably expensive. So if I'm getting a sculpt painted/repainted the base sculpture needs to be a slam dunk.

I asked, it's $325 US. I've paid some good money for great paint apps, but that's a bit much for this.

Which painter did you ask that gave that quote of $325usd?

The woman who did the paint a few pages back. Not disparaging anyone charging what they think thier wotk is worth by any means, but she happens to be in China, I would think it might be a bit cheaper than some of the best painters in the US or UK. And while you have to paint around hair, you're not painting hair or re-hairing it.

I asked too and got the same price, but have to say that it includes EMS shipping. I think the quality justifies the price, but I'm not sure I'd pay that much for her, still being too short. I might try enlarging the head or just doing a new headsculpt before getting it repainted. At the end it might be a really expensive figure, but if I go the custom route I'd want it to be as perfect as possible.

That is extremely expensive. No judgment on her work or what she is asking for. Just objectively speaking in context to the 1/6th custom world, that’s expensive. If the head sculpt was better...maybe if you got the dough. But so far, we’ve seen Owen repaint it and this woman both pulling off absolutely fantastic jobs but the base just isn’t there.

I like the figure enough. It’s no more off in my eyes than any of 3Zs other offerings outside of the Hound and Tyrion. It certainly doesn’t photograph well because it’s facial structure changed. Even with an expensive one off paint job.

Let’s stop :horse and figure out who’s gonna do a custom sculpt because that’s clearly what this needs.

As a painter... and one who does not take commissions because I can’t justify my time for the going rate of the paint jobs, I understand why she’s charging over 300 and if someone wants to pay her.. more power to her.

But honesty... she’s not good enough to charge that much. Sorry to say. Plus it’s more of a tweak.

There’s a lot of guys on this form alone who will give you a better job for less.

And yes... why polish a turd so to speak? This like every other damn threezero product needs a whole new head.

Dunno, I still haven't received my figure, so I'm far of decided what to do with her. I think I'll at least recast the head and maybe try enlarging it a bit, and maybe I'll try to paint it myself. I think we can tempt Vimal or Jnix to give her a shot too. At the end I think I like the character enough to throw some bucks on it to make her look as good as possible, but maybe when I have her in hand I'll be one of those 'happy enough' and will keep her as is.

I asked for an estimate on the repaint, and got $325 too. A bit steep for me on this one. I’m hoping I’ll either be content when mine gets here from Sideshow, or that I can find a decent paint job for a bit less. Worst case scenario, Sideshow will refund if I open it and hate it.

Back