Threezero Game of Thrones - 1/6 Jon Snow

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed. Despite featuring in some great scenes and battles, the White Walkers never seemed like a terribly interesting villain, and it would have been a shame to spend the entire series finale with these great characters simply fighting off a bunch of zombies the whole time, like it was just another episode of Walking Dead.

I do agree it was silly to have no major characters die in the battle though. After all the buildup, we should have lost at least 3 or 4 key characters.

I agree with this now after they snoked the night king. The biggest threat in the entire series has no backstory and is taken out in one shot and one episode. Any death now against cerseis army is going to come off stupid after they had survived endless waves of walkers who do not tire and can be resurrected at will. Jon and dany just need to hop on their dragons and wipe her out.

Seriously some people get too into this stuff, just sit back and enjoy it, stop over analyzing and trying to apply real life ideas/limits/motivations/etc to a fiction “fantasy” television show. It’s purpose is to entertain, I was thoroughly entertained, was a fun and well made episode. Lastly it’s called game of thrones, shouldn’t it be about the throne anyway? haha

Edit: Also Jon could have been brought back to life as his purpose was to bring everyone together to defeat the Night King, he united everyone. If it wasn’t for him they would have lost before the war even started.

Except he didn't unite everyone, cerseis army decided they didn't need to bother to show up and she was right because they still defeated the night king anyway lmao. The whole storyline of them retrieving a walker to bring to her as proof was now made pointless. So was bringing Jon back, all of humanity clearly didn't need to come together or they would have lost. This is almost on the level of tfa/tlj bad. They would need to magically bring the night king back again to save it at this point and even then it will still be worse off had they not just done it properly in the first place.

Episode 3 should have ended this way...

most awesome ending ever.jpg

Except he didn't unite everyone, cerseis army decided they didn't need to bother to show up and she was right because they still defeated the night king anyway lmao. The whole storyline of them retrieving a walker to bring to her as proof was now made pointless. So was bringing Jon back, all of humanity clearly didn't need to come together or they would have lost. This is almost on the level of tfa/tlj bad. They would need to magically bring the night king back again to save it at this point and even then it will still be worse off had they not just done it properly in the first place.

Yea obviously he didn’t unite everyone (meaning Cersei) but he united everyone who actually defeated the Night King hence the reason he was brought back. Also retrieving a walker to bring to Cersei wasnt pointless, it just didn’t work, she couldn’t be swayed because that’s her character and it led to Jaime leaving her. And that whole mission led to many awesome scenes, the group leaving the wall together to go north, fighting the bear was so awesome, the frozen lake scene, Viserion dying. Benjen saving Jon. The next three episodes are going to be great.

Edit: What else did people expect to happen though? The Night King to wipe everyone out? Game of thrones has went dark before but not that dark, I feel like while yes the white walkers were introduced in the beginning and eventually became a big part, the show has always been about the Iron throne, and who deserves to sit on it.

Last edited:
They can do pretty good leather custom
I asked them for a price and prototype for a season 6/7 would have been around 1.4K + then additional cost per outfit

So it would need at least 10 outfits to come to approx a 450 price point per outfit (also covering the prototype cost)

I then chose to go with the cult king version

Thanks for the reply!!!

Three questions,

1. How did you contact Cult King for the custom outfit?
2. How much did that cost?
3. I'm open to the geewhiz one although that would mean I'd need to garner sufficient interest to get it done...

Thanks for the reply!

Agreed. Despite featuring in some great scenes and battles, the White Walkers never seemed like a terribly interesting villain, and it would have been a shame to spend the entire series finale with these great characters simply fighting off a bunch of zombies the whole time, like it was just another episode of Walking Dead.

I do agree it was silly to have no major characters die in the battle though. After all the buildup, we should have lost at least 3 or 4 key characters.

I consider Theon, Jorah and Night King all major
Characters

I consider Theon, Jorah and Night King all major
Characters

No offense GOTnerd but to me they were all secondary or tertiary. Jorah was a secondary character seasons ago but not now IMO. The Night King, I don't even know, especially now. I still don't know how to feel about him.

By the end of the episode when Theon charged the Night King, I didn't see any way in which he was going to live. So his death didn't have the effect on me that it should have by then.

There was once a time when game of thrones used to kill off characters before their natural character arc had been completed. That made the deaths shocking and game of thrones different from the norm. So far in this season it doesn't feel like that is going to happen anymore which is a shame, hopefully they have one more surprise left.

I think the only deaths in the last episode that I would have made me pause and cry out "holy game of thrones batman!" would have involved Jaime, Tyrion, Daenerys, Jon, Clegane, Arya or Sansa. Anyone else would have seemed like screen writing 101, arc complete character die.

I'm surprised Brienne is still going after she was knighted and earned the respect of her peers regardless of her gender and you know Jaime stopped insulting her. For impact to the viewers either Grey Worm or Missandre should have bought the farm as well after they made plans for a future together.

Figured I'd reply again to this, will people really care that much, especially after that horrific episode two nights ago? 7 seasons of build up where I had to hear the stupid tag line from everyone how winter is coming, then that garbage happened. Does anything that's going to happen in the last three episodes even matter at this point? Just my thoughts.

I think the show hit the skids a while back, but people still love it. And generally people liked the episode, so yeah, I think the line will do fine. I haven't said much about my feeling concerning episode 3 because I figured I'd let people have they're good time and not be the negative nancy. Fans were pumped and a lot of people loved it. But since it's brought up here, and I've had a few days to let it digest I'll give my thoughts. Generally speaking I think the episode has a lot of the same problems the show has suffered since season 5. Plot contrivance, nonsensical character motivation to push the story along, sloppy structure, retconning and bad continuity at a rapid pace, etc.. Having said that GoT isn't a complete disaster in every way. It usually pulls off some memorable bits even in the bad seasons.

Pros:

* Whatever my thoughts on the story, editing, etc of this episode you can tell they worked really hard on it. For the first time you got a good idea of the scale of Winterfell. The sets were great.

* The terror and forboding of those first 10 minutes was really good. It was full of palpable anxiety.

*There is some shots that were beautiful. The wide screen shot of the dragons above the clouds was wonderful. It took my breath away. Literally.

*The dragon battle (what I could see of it) was pretty good.

* I was wondering how they were going to even the playing field with Dany having two dragons. And they did by using a huge storm cloud of mist/fog. I wasn't expecting this and it was good. It made sense for the scene and the powers of the Night King. It didn't feel contrived at all( like much of the battle planning for season 7). And it was terrifying.

* Jorah's death was appropriate and Dany's despair after losing him felt real. Too bad she couldn't pull that off after the death of Viscerion.

*Jon screaming at Viscerion. People thought this was lame and silly but it worked for me. I felt his utter frustration and helplessness.

* The Arya library sequence.

Cons:

Before I get into them I feel the need to say all because something subverts your expectations doesn't make it good.lol

* The editing. It was pretty choppy in a lot of areas and things just didn't line up, and wasn't clear if people died or not. I think the showrunners was going for this to a degree but it didn't work for me. It looked more sloppy. This wasn't throughout the entire episode but it was enough.

* Sending the Dothraki charging into the darkness against a dangerous foe unlike any other it pretty stupid. This is plot contrivance to get Dany into the air. It's fiction and you can write anything you want and this is what they went with.lol

* The sweeping under the rug of the Others motivations. There can be things left unsaid and mysteries left to the viewers to decide (something I like and prefer ) but to just leave it as was presented in episode 8 screams of weak/indecisive story telling. That, and the fact that they're making a Long Night prequel feels like they wanted to leave it to that. GRRM has often said he hates villains that are evil....cuz they're evil. This pretty much sound like the NK from the show.

* I really dislike the army of the dead essentially being the droid army from the prequels. Sound more like an easy way out of this plot.

* The complete non-use of the Azor Ahai prophecies. Look, they don't have to be real, and it's might be more interesting if they're not, but they have to be integrated into the story in an unexpected and interesting way. Otherwise what the hell is the point of even putting it in the story.

* I think they really wussed out with how many main characters survived. Plot armor galore here. Particularly when it feels like the showrunners have been spinning their wheels with a lot of these characters and don't know what to do with them.

* I can't believe they wrapped this up in one episode. Lol I thought for sure they would have lost this battle and had to retreat. Though I don't know how that would have even been possible.

* And of course Arya taking out the NK.lol Sorry, but this screams of cringe inducing fan service - and not the good kind. I have no idea how she got past those WW henchmen and managed to appear falling out of the ether from the sky. It felt silly and contrived. Though I have had some big problems the way Arya had been handled the past few seasons anyway. A character that I love, btw. And this isn't anything against Maisie Williams. I think she is a wonderful actor and absolutely lovable in interviews. She's great.

There's more but I'll leave it here.

If you still love the show and particularly this episode and good on you! Seriously. No need to argue over this. :)

Well they did say they knew about the arya kill (from Martin by the way, just sayin’) for a few years so that was presumably before the girl power movement.

D&D said they knew who would kill the NK for the past three seasons,but this is a show decision. They didn't mention Martin. The Night King isn't a book character. The books at this point are so different regardless of what GRRM says. He often contradicts himself and sounds to be playing nice. Often how Stephen King does with some of his adaptions - think the Dark Tower.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

No offense GOTnerd but to me they were all secondary or tertiary. Jorah was a secondary character seasons ago but not now IMO. The Night King, I don't even know, especially now. I still don't know how to feel about him.

By the end of the episode when Theon charged the Night King, I didn't see any way in which he was going to live. So his death didn't have the effect on me that it should have by then.

None at all. Just my opinion. Theon and Jorah are 9 and 10 in the cast of episodes they have appeared just behind Jamie AND Arya's and have been in the series since episode 1 so that's why I consider them major. Night king more because he was a leading bad guy at least in the hearsay of whitewalkers.

I personally loved Theons story arc. He had let down so many others who needed him. What else could he do at that point but charge the Night King and go out on his own terms.

It was nice to see Jon feel helpless and not be the hero.

@TheFiend I didn't read this in Comic Book Guy's voice :lol

Cons:

* The editing. It was pretty choppy in a lot of areas and things just didn't line up, and wasn't clear if people died or not. I think the showrunners was going for this to a degree but it didn't work for me. It looked more sloppy. This wasn't throughout the entire episode but it was enough.

Interesting to hear this as I thought the editing was pretty tight considering the relatively intimate single location and number of characters they had to track in a contained action sequence. Some of the choppiness that stood out to you I was able to give a big pass to overall.

* Sending the Dothraki charging into the darkness against a dangerous foe unlike any other it pretty stupid. This is plot contrivance to get Dany into the air. It's fiction and you can write anything you want and this is what they went with.lol

Yup, the most inexplicable action in the whole battle. I heard some commentators speculating that it was to 'test the waters', but sheesh... the sloppiness of this I forgave because of the tension that followed as the lights went out.

* The sweeping under the rug of the Others motivations. There can be things left unsaid and mysteries left to the viewers to decide (something I like and prefer ) but to just leave it as was presented in episode 8 screams of weak/indecisive story telling. That, and the fact that they're making a Long Night prequel feels like they wanted to leave it to that. GRRM has often said he hates villains that are evil....cuz they're evil. This pretty much sound like the NK from the show.

yeah, this was thin... it's as though beyond just being a device to align disparate forces against a single foe ahead of a showdown with Cersei we don't need to know anything else about the NK. Did I miss some exposition here, like because he was able to ride the dragon he might've been Targaryen or some such? No idea.

* I really dislike the army of the dead essentially being the droid army from the prequels. Sound more like an easy way out of this plot.

They were set up as fodder in previous episodes, so this didn't bother me so much... but it does speak to the above point about NK's motivations and strategy.

* The complete non-use of the Azor Ahai prophecies. Look, they don't have to be real, and it's might be more interesting if they're not, but they have to be integrated into the story in an unexpected and interesting way. Otherwise what the hell is the point of even putting it in the story.

This might yet be explained though...

* I think they really wussed out with how many main characters survived. Plot armor galore here. Particularly when it feels like the showrunners have been spinning their wheels with a lot of these characters and don't know what to do with them.

Where to for Brienne? One of my favourite characters, but is there that much left for her to do having been knighted? The characters 'sacrificed' in the episode I didn't much care about. I would've liked a jaw-dropping wtf death. The last death of any impact for me was Baelish.

* I can't believe they wrapped this up in one episode. Lol I thought for sure they would have lost this battle and had to retreat. Though I don't know how that would have even been possible.

I knew the battle was a one-episode thing, but maybe it was the pacing towards the end that made it a little anti-climactic for me.

* And of course Arya taking out the NK.lol Sorry, but this screams of cringe inducing fan service - and not the good kind. I have no idea how she got past those WW henchmen and managed to appear falling out of the ether from the sky. It felt silly and contrived. Though I have had some big problems the way Arya had been handled the past few seasons anyway. A character that I love, btw. And this isn't anything against Maisie Williams. I think she is a wonderful actor and absolutely lovable in interviews. She's great.

After what she's managed to do with her kill list throughout the show this for me wasn't a problem at all. I was more bothered by how long Theon managed to hold off the hordes with his bow and arrow. I think the scene itself was a little clumsily shot though, falling dagger and all.

If you still love the show and particularly this episode and good on you! Seriously. No need to argue over this. :)

You make good points. I agree with most of them, and all I can say is that I was able to overlook them on first viewing because I'm too caught up in the idea that once it's over I don't know how long it'll be before we see anything that can hold a candle to the scope and ambition of this show :duff

I too was a little disappointed with the episode. Regarding so many people’s questions about the Night King’s motivations... This was explained a couple of seasons back. He’s a weapon created by the Children Of The Forest to destroy all of humanity, and ran amok. A bit more would be nice.... But there is at least that info. They could have better explained why he wanted Bran/3-Eyed Raven so bad, but I guess I just assumed that NK was also trying to get the 3ER's powers. Since you're dealing with a character that doesn't speak though... I can see it might be difficult to shoehorn in more exposition... from who? Robo-Bran?

Arya killing NK was a cool moment... But WTF? Why bother mentioning that “Prince That Was Promised” stuff at all if you’re just going to abandon it? Unless Arya mysteriously surviving getting knifed on that bridge in Braavos somehow counted as her being ‘resurrected ‘... And she is Azor Ahai.

I WAS sort of hoping that NK grabbing her by the throat in those last moments was going to somehow plant a seed making her a WW “Night Queen” to carry on his legacy in the last couple of episodes... A real “Oh no!” character tragedy AND crazy story twist in the eleventh hour. But nah...

Character deaths did seem to come more from the writer's 'clearing the deck' of supporting characters, rather than being interesting plot developments, but this has been an issue since the show ran out of GRR Martin material to build their scripts around.

Overall though, it was a cool episode and an exciting battle. I better get my Clegane Bowl though!

love reading over this chat about the show, good stuff!

Thought Id share my Jon custom here too, haired and paint details done myself with Rays advice and following his lead
Zw23rXk.jpg

mMzxgB7.jpg

zgRcDnW.jpg

qC3yFDM.jpg

5Cg0g4T.jpg

Back