ThreeA: Stormtrooper

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has been fun, I'm laughing at almost every post :) Yeah these things do nothing for me.

I don't know why you guys are overreacting like this. I for one love the Stormtrooper's little capris.

How are Disney's lawyers not all over this?

Prop guys would be able to lay down the hard facts on this one, but I was under the impression Lucasfilm Licensing (aka Disney) can't (or won't) do much about people using the likeness of Trooper helmets (not sure about armor) as Andrew Ainsworth, the original sculptor/designer retains at least reproduction rights. Then again, it's possible that 3A have Disney's permission. Or that the helmets are significantly different enough to be considered a new work, parody or something else allowed/accepted.

I'm a big fan of a lot of 3A designs, but these guys just don't fit - they just look far too random in construction/design, unlike many of their other abstract figures they produce.

Prop guys would be able to lay down the hard facts on this one, but I was under the impression Lucasfilm Licensing (aka Disney) can't (or won't) do much about people using the likeness of Trooper helmets (not sure about armor) as Andrew Ainsworth, the original sculptor/designer retains at least reproduction rights. Then again, it's possible that 3A have Disney's permission. Or that the helmets are significantly different enough to be considered a new work, parody or something else allowed/accepted.

I'm a big fan of a lot of 3A designs, but these guys just don't fit - they just look far too random in construction/design, unlike many of their other abstract figures they produce.

I guess this is it.

Someone posted a pic of these on the OSR FB page and a ton of the comments were from people who LOVED these and can't wait to get them. :cuckoo:

Whatever floats their boat I guess.

They're not trying to make a grand foray into star wars, or compete with sideshow. It's just a pop culture reference, nothing more. It's a Tomorrow King from Popbot wearing a stormtrooper helmet because the character is probably a Star Wars fan. It's a comic/pulp world 3A come from so don't get offended too bad.

Water displacement probably.

:rotfl

:lol:lol:lol Touche.

That's nuts. Hell no to these.

Exactly.

They're not trying to make a grand foray into star wars, or compete with sideshow. It's just a pop culture reference, nothing more. It's a Tomorrow King from Popbot wearing a stormtrooper helmet because the character is probably a Star Wars fan. It's a comic/pulp world 3A come from so don't get offended too bad.

I have no idea what Popbot is or why they would be wearing a ST helmet. They are ridiculous regardless of what they are meant to reference. Although, not as ridiculous as some of the things in the Prequels. :wink1::lol

Exactly.

I think you guys might be missing the point to these. They're not trying to recreate Stormies, or re-invent them. They (or just Ashley Wood, the artist) are just appropriating certain aspects of the Stormtroopers into that world. Like mortifactor said, it's just pop culture references.

Personally I think they're very well done and I can appreciate the stylization liberties they took with the helmet. I think it looks pretty cool, actually. If I were a collector who focused on Stormtroopers, I would consider this a worthy addition.

Obviously it's not meant to belong within the SW universe per se. It's not supposed to be a different troop from the movies that operated in the background. It's just an appropriation of the SW design into the Ashley Wood 3A world.

Back