Thranduil on Elk - 1:6 scale figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a magnificent piece of sculpture that's for sure, and even at this price I'm tempted. But a combination of it (for me) not really being an "iconic" image from the Hobbit series and the fact that I've had an especially expensive collecting year, (main culprits: Prime 1 Miller Dark Knight, Weta Balroq, Sideshow Red Son Superman, Iron Studio ESB Vader, Chronicles King Conan & a custom Kylo lightsaber), are leading me to take a pass on this. Which, on one hand is probably not the smartest economical move. If this sells out in the next couple of weeks and the demand remains high, it wouldn't surprise me to see this going for $1600-$2000 sometime down the road. But will keep my karma clear and resist the urge to buy it just to store it then flip it. Congrats to all who pull the trigger.

I bet it's pretty popular with Canadian Tolkien fans too. (moose) :lol

The recent introduction of their payment plan throws a wrench on any speculation.

Why? Can't people just save up and pay when it ships? I never understood the appeal of the payment plans when you can delay payment for a year or more in some cases(unless they would offer a discount to pay early like PCS)

Why? Can't people just save up and pay when it ships?

No, for some weird reason, people can't.

Not being sarcastic, but if I have learned anything in my time collecting is that a Flex Pay all of the sudden makes a $1,000 piece affordable when there is an option to break up payments. It's mostly psychological but it is what it is. Consider the longest Flex Pay Weta is offering goes into months after the piece is due to come out. So it's half Flex Pay and half Lay Away.

BBTS sold out of their allocation so may be it's a page from Sideshow's book or may be it isn't.

No, for some weird reason, people can't.

Not being sarcastic, but if I have learned anything in my time collecting is that a Flex Pay all of the sudden makes a $1,000 piece affordable when there is an option to break up payments. It's mostly psychological but it is what it is. Consider the longest Flex Pay Weta is offering goes into months after the piece is due to come out. So it's half Flex Pay and half Lay Away.

BBTS sold out of their allocation so may be it's a page from Sideshow's book or may be it isn't.

I know, it is all a sales tactic. They get their money well before they should and act like they are doing you a favor in offering the plan. Makes me laugh.

I won't knock the payment plan. A smaller nut to crack over an extended period helps, mentally and financially (emotionally..?). This hobby is crazy expense then and especially now.

I have both the battle Troll and Thranduil on order with Grond already home. That's a record for me on $'s spent or committed in a short time span.

I won't knock the payment plan. A smaller nut to crack over an extended period helps, mentally and financially (emotionally..?). This hobby is crazy expense then and especially now.

I have both the battle Troll and Thranduil on order with Grond already home. That's a record for me on $'s spent or committed in a short time span.

That is exactly my point, it doesn't help financially(and can actually cost you MORE if you don't pay off your card every month), it only tricks you into thinking it does.

That is exactly my point, it doesn't help financially(and can actually cost you MORE if you don't pay off your card every month), it only tricks you into thinking it does.

That's assuming it's on credit (and not being paid for in due time), if it's dierect from a bank account that's a different story. There's a reason the flex pay option is there, SSC & now Weta. Everyone's circumstances are different along with their priorities, financial or otherwise.

I'll pay for Thranduil and Troll in full once it ships, I decided not to go with the payment plan. I have IG maquette with 1 flex left from SS, at the time it worked for me and I have no complaints. All this while trying to complete my Plymouth eventually.

Last edited:
That's assuming it's on credit (and not being paid for in due time), if it's dierect from a bank account that's a different story. There's a reason the flex pay option is there, SSC & now Weta. Everyone's circumstances are different along with their priorities, financial or otherwise.

I'll pay for Thranduil and Troll in full once it ships, I decided not to go with the payment plan. I have IG maquette with 1 flex left from SS, at the time it worked for me and I have no complaints. All this while trying to complete my Plymouth eventually.

Yes, and the reason is it tricks people into overspending who may not otherwise order a high price item or multiple items at once PLUS they can collect interest on your money. Probably 95% do it on card and even if they don't, save your money and spend it when you have to. Why pay early when you don't have too? I just don't see the benefit if you don't get anything out of it.

In principle there should be a discount for early orders that pay in full. Unfortunately, some companies may give you that and the make open or large edition sizes.

Weta is keeping most of their stuff pretty limited all things considered.

I want this so badly! It's just so big! Not sure where I'd put it. But.......ME WANTIE!

Back