Thoughts on older Sideshow figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow hasn’t done it that often, but almost every re-release of an older figure has been inferior to the original in some way. Even reissues of more recent figures like the Mythos line had their quality dip noticeably.

So while I would like to see Sideshow do figures again, they would have to up their quality control to meet what the prices would be. Which feels unlikely, unfortunately.

But as others have already said, many of the older Sideshow figures still hold up quite well and I’m glad to have what I still do. I wish I’d kept some more of them, especially with Hot Toys understandably focusing on new media.

What was really good still displays pretty well even next to newer Hot Toys figures. What wasn’t can make a strong foundation for a custom figure. Bodies tend to be terrible across the board but that’s an easy fix. Human sculpts aside from the very last of the Clones are very dated but aliens are still very solid.

It is hard to justify some of the prices though, especially since a lot of these figures are really old and could be deteriorating based on the materials used and how they’ve been stored or displayed.

There are some very large gaps in aliens and droids that either company should fill. I can’t believe it’s 2022 and we still don’t have a high end 1/6 Admiral Ackbar and Nien Nunb and the only option for Greedo is a figure over a decade old that people want $600-800+ for.

Last edited:
I have the old Plo Koon figure and he is great. Oddly enough his joints are tight and he holds poses rather well.
Plo Koon5.jpg
Plo Koon10.jpg

I have the complete Sideshow Bounty Hunter line and they're great. IG-88 is showing his age and his arms are floppy, but otherwise they've held up well. They blend with my HT stuff nicely which is a plus since I don't think HT will ever make them and SSC will never re-release them.

Wow those cantina figures are pricey!! I might grab them down the road because hot toys will never make them. I may just grab the Luke for now and keep the helmet on. Then grab the others little by little. Funny, I could have gotten all of these years ago for almost nothing. Funny how time and perspective change things.
The Kenner 12 inch series Cantina Band can be had on eBay for around the original $20-30 per price point. Honestly, for a background or bottom Detolf, they'll get the job done. I do love my Sideshow Greedo and Hammerhead. I also really like the Hoth Han and Luke atop my Taun Tauns. The head sculpts weren't awesome, but they're good enough in their parkas...

I have the complete Sideshow Bounty Hunter line and they're great. IG-88 is showing his age and his arms are floppy, but otherwise they've held up well. They blend with my HT stuff nicely which is a plus since I don't think HT will ever make them and SSC will never re-release them.
Yes, I love my Sideshow bounty hunters. They're now led by Hot Toys ESB Fett and they look fine together. Also from above, I have several of their PT Jedi and they're all pretty darned good.

I had near all of the Sideshow star wars releases.
It was my first dive into 1/6th back in 2005.
1 of my mates got the SSC Darth Maul,and I was hooked ever since.
I have since sold all mine off once HT got the license.
Their aliens were pretty top notch.
They also did obscure characters and one's that HT will never do,so props to SSC for that.
As others have mentioned,Hammerhead,Greece,Bib,Gammy Guard and my all time fav,AOTC Kenobi are among SSC best releases.

Crazy how pricey they are now considering how much they were back in the day.

I remember how getting an exclusive back then was being up early in the AM in OZ,and being online exactly on time to nab it before they quickly sold through.
Fun times!!

Good memories from the old days when we would all crash the SS servers trying to nab the EX versions. The SS Jedi Luke release in ‘05 was how I came across Sideshow then a couple years later this site.

First foray into the 1/6 world for me as well when i learned about Sideshow getting the Star Wars license. Took me a few more years to find out about the "freaks" forum.

With clones and all, i'm likely around 100 figures from that line.

The Kenner 12 inch series Cantina Band can be had on eBay for around the original $20-30 per price point. Honestly, for a background or bottom Detolf, they'll get the job done. I do love my Sideshow Greedo and Hammerhead. I also really like the Hoth Han and Luke atop my Taun Tauns. The head sculpts weren't awesome, but they're good enough in their parkas...
I’m going to check out the hasbro cantina band
One set is from sideshow is around $650 so no way I’m paying that for old sideshow figures.

Yes, I love my Sideshow bounty hunters. They're now led by Hot Toys ESB Fett and they look fine together. Also from above, I have several of their PT Jedi and they're all pretty darned good.
Yeah, I upgraded to the HT ESB Boba when he came out and sold off my Scum and Villainy Boba. It's night and day and while the SSC one isn't bad for what you can get it for these days it still pales in comparison to the HT piece.

Hammerhead is a classic...still a great figure. In fact, as many have already said, SSC did a great job on the aliens and they still hold up today (except for the frail, flimsy bodies). I still have everything on your list and have it displayed somewhere in the collection. I'd add Dengar, Bossk, 4-LOM and Zuckuss for consideration too.

I’m so glad I got all of esb bounty hunters when they were released. All great figures. I wish I got the snow trooper commander too. I thought I would wait for the awesome hot toys version we saw. Regrets…

I’m going to check out the hasbro cantina band
One set is from sideshow is around $650 so no way I’m paying that for old sideshow figures.
With a body swap and other mods the Hasbro cantina members can look pretty close to as good as the Sideshow versions. The hands are slightly oversized and a bit rubbery but the heads are pretty good sculpts. I made one using Hasbro head with Sideshow hands and tunic and it looks good.

I don't think the SSC armored/military figs have aged all that well on the whole (snowie/sandie/stormie etc,) and the newer military figs have been hit or miss (I like the TIE Pilot but not the ATAT driver or Biker Scout) but some of the SSC robots and creatures are still excellent.

I'm not a huge fan of the SSC Greedo (it's a good generic Rodian but to me doesn't look much like onscreen Greedo at all - I sold mine and never regretted it) but Hammerhead was a standout. The Gammy and Bib are decent too, but really do require some mods to make them good.

In the robots, Sideshow R2 still holds up pretty well (never got the hate for that figure) and 4-LOM is a total stunner in-hand, even if IG and 3PO are a bit of a mixed bag mostly due to great body sculpt vs somehwat inaccurate headsculpt.

The old SSC Jabba is still a spot-on sculpt to me, if a bit soft and undersized and very poorly painted, but the new SSC Jabba "feels" more like Jabba and is a truly spectacular set that has to be seen in person to be believed, though I made smaller arms to make him look right (the included arms are 20% oversized imo)

Last edited:
Very few are worth the going prices you’ll pay because the lack of options. They did make some nice pieces most with one or all flaws in potraits, tailoring or paint apps

- Dlx Clones & Commanders
loose armor and cheap battle damage
- Rogue Group (snow speeder) Luke Skywalker
helmeted version….suit accuracy and oversized tailoring
- Exclusive Commander Skywalker (Hoth - battle damaged sculpt)
regular helmet ok, googles look cheap and oversized tailoring
- Hammerhead
- Greedo

Great thread. You had me going back and checking to see what Sideshow Star Wars figures I still have in the collection. The following is a listing with a quick blurb on each figure:

1. X-Wing Luke - With the helmet on, the sculpt looks fantastic. Love the figure and ended up getting a second one for a custom Wedge.
2. AT-AT figure - Really well done. HT would be hard pressed to improve on it. Only issues I have are with the slightly too tall body and simple looking boots.
3. TIE Fighter pilot - Another well done figure. I think aside from the too tall figure, it is perfect. I should have picked up a second one.
4. Rebel Fleet Trooper - Definitely dated but still fits in fine. Picked up a second one a few months ago and will be swapping out bodies/sculpts on both.
5. Captain Antilles - Dated as well but same plans on the body/sculpt. We'll never get one from HT.
6. Imperial Probe Droid - Wonderful piece. HIGHLY recommended.
7. Carbonite Han - It has been mentioned that it may be a tiny bit undersized but I think it looks fantastic.
8. Jawas - Aside from the infamous floppy bodies (fixable), they are the best rendition of the disgusting creatures yet. I ended up picking up a second set.
9. R5-D4 - I see no need to pick up one from HT if it ever were to see the light of day.
10. C3PO - Holds its own. Still waiting on HT's version... SS's 3PO looks great alongside the HT and SS R2s.
11. Commander Praji - This Imperial officer looks fantastic, even to this day. I had picked up a newer body and head sculpt and just haven't been in a rush to replace them on this figure. I wish I had several more, just for the uniforms and gear.
12. Endor Rebel (the one with the long overcoat) - Gave the over coat to the SS Endor Han and it looks pretty darn good. The Rebel figure looks good even without the coat.
13. Utapau Clone Trooper - my only clone trooper. Filled the slot fine.
14. Dejarik Table - Great representation of the Falcon's gaming table. So glad I picked it up when it initially was offered.
15. Darth Sidious Hologram droid - Looks great, especially lit up. Only issue is that the hologram is too heavy for the legs which slide open. Worth just super-gluing them in place (STILL need to do that...)
16. Plo Koon - Long ago I sold off all of my SS Jedi's but Plo Koon was the only one that didn't get taken, so I just kept him. Nothing wrong with him. I just was trimming the collection at the time.

The following figures were also offered by Hot Toys but I didn't feel the need to upgrade:
1. Darth Maul - I still consider it to be a great rendition of Ray Park as DM. I picked up the HT speeder bike and bases and I'm good to go.
2. The 3 Sand Troopers - I've had the complete set for years and didn't feel the urgency to pick up the "one" from HT. Sure, the HT is better but it's just the one.
3. ESB Fett - No question that HT's is over-all better but after having the HT in hand, I felt that I could live with the SS one (tweaked) and sold the HT.
4. R2-D2 - A very good rendition of the astromech. I picked up a second one. I also have HT's deluxe, which is amazing but the SS versions will do in a pinch.

I know I'm missing some others but that's one heck of a list(s) so far.

I think Sideshow's Artoo & Red Five are holding up well...

LUKE_RED-FIVE_022.jpg

....and while the paint apps are certainly dated, I still think Sideshow's ANH Kenobi features a really great sculpt and decent cut-n-sew
OLDBEN-006.jpg

This thread has made me go back through some old Sideshow...and there is still quite a bit I still gladly display. The dewback and Desert Sands Trooper is one of my favorite 1:6 display pieces. I really like the Hoth Luke on his tauntaun. The Probe Droid is one of Sideshow's best pieces ever and I've mentioned many times how much I prefer their jawas, floppy bodies and all.

While I've been enjoying the recent HT Tusken Raider more than I expected to, the Sideshow one is still a great figure.

It's been fun looking back at some of those older figures. Getting the latest releases from HT can be fun, but since those are fewer and far between these days, getting reacquainted with some classic Sideshow pieces can still scratch that itch.

Who knows? In a few short years, we may be looking back at some older HT figures that still look great as we wait for the latest Queen City release.
Are they doing Star Wars? Wouldn't THAT be something?

View attachment 565883

....and while the paint apps are certainly dated, I still think Sideshow's ANH Kenobi features a really great sculpt and decent cut-n-sewView attachment 565884

This thread has made me go back through some old Sideshow...and there is still quite a bit I still gladly display. The dewback and Desert Sands Trooper is one of my favorite 1:6 display pieces. I really like the Hoth Luke on his tauntaun. The Probe Droid is one of Sideshow's best pieces ever and I've mentioned many times how much I prefer their jawas, floppy bodies and all.

While I've been enjoying the recent HT Tusken Raider more than I expected to, the Sideshow one is still a great figure.

It's been fun looking back at some of those older figures. Getting the latest releases from HT can be fun, but since those are fewer and far between these days, getting reacquainted with some classic Sideshow pieces can still scratch that itch.

Who knows? In a few short years, we may be looking back at some older HT figures that still look great as we wait for the latest Queen City release.

Queen Studios has been making very high quality stuff, if they got the Star Wars license at any scale all bets would be off. Their likenesses are typically excellent but their forte has been life size busts and statues.

Personally I have been hoping that they might get the right to make 1/3 scale Star Wars statues but them getting the license seems like a longshot based on what we know and what Queen representatives have said in the past.

View attachment 565883

....and while the paint apps are certainly dated, I still think Sideshow's ANH Kenobi features a really great sculpt and decent cut-n-sewView attachment 565884

Yeah, forgot to mention the SSC Tusken. At the last minute a few months back I actually ended up buying another SSC Tusken instead of buying the HT one as I had planned. With a body swap and a few minor mods, the SSC Tusken is really, even a decade later, a pretty spectacular figure that looks like it could have been released in the past few years.

And that SSC Ben is one of the best 1/6 likenesses ever, even if it is a bit oversized and lacks finer sculpt detail. The old SSC Leia/Luke/Han don't hold up well at all, but that Ben is still stunning. I have a SSC Ben with a great repaint and it's one of my top 10 1/6 SW figs in my collection - eerily accurate Alec Guinness, and I also greatly prefer the Sideshow Ben robe over the too-dark chamois fabric version that HT produced (my HT Ben robe is in the box, I'll probably use it for my Sebastian Shaw Anakin custom.)

Great thread. You had me going back and checking to see what Sideshow Star Wars figures I still have in the collection. The following is a listing with a quick blurb on each figure:

1. X-Wing Luke - With the helmet on, the sculpt looks fantastic. Love the figure and ended up getting a second one for a custom Wedge.
2. AT-AT figure - Really well done. HT would be hard pressed to improve on it. Only issues I have are with the slightly too tall body and simple looking boots.
3. TIE Fighter pilot - Another well done figure. I think aside from the too tall figure, it is perfect. I should have picked up a second one.
4. Rebel Fleet Trooper - Definitely dated but still fits in fine. Picked up a second one a few months ago and will be swapping out bodies/sculpts on both.
5. Captain Antilles - Dated as well but same plans on the body/sculpt. We'll never get one from HT.
6. Imperial Probe Droid - Wonderful piece. HIGHLY recommended.
7. Carbonite Han - It has been mentioned that it may be a tiny bit undersized but I think it looks fantastic.
8. Jawas - Aside from the infamous floppy bodies (fixable), they are the best rendition of the disgusting creatures yet. I ended up picking up a second set.
9. R5-D4 - I see no need to pick up one from HT if it ever were to see the light of day.
10. C3PO - Holds its own. Still waiting on HT's version... SS's 3PO looks great alongside the HT and SS R2s.
11. Commander Praji - This Imperial officer looks fantastic, even to this day. I had picked up a newer body and head sculpt and just haven't been in a rush to replace them on this figure. I wish I had several more, just for the uniforms and gear.
12. Endor Rebel (the one with the long overcoat) - Gave the over coat to the SS Endor Han and it looks pretty darn good. The Rebel figure looks good even without the coat.
13. Utapau Clone Trooper - my only clone trooper. Filled the slot fine.
14. Dejarik Table - Great representation of the Falcon's gaming table. So glad I picked it up when it initially was offered.
15. Darth Sidious Hologram droid - Looks great, especially lit up. Only issue is that the hologram is too heavy for the legs which slide open. Worth just super-gluing them in place (STILL need to do that...)
16. Plo Koon - Long ago I sold off all of my SS Jedi's but Plo Koon was the only one that didn't get taken, so I just kept him. Nothing wrong with him. I just was trimming the collection at the time.

The following figures were also offered by Hot Toys but I didn't feel the need to upgrade:
1. Darth Maul - I still consider it to be a great rendition of Ray Park as DM. I picked up the HT speeder bike and bases and I'm good to go.
2. The 3 Sand Troopers - I've had the complete set for years and didn't feel the urgency to pick up the "one" from HT. Sure, the HT is better but it's just the one.
3. ESB Fett - No question that HT's is over-all better but after having the HT in hand, I felt that I could live with the SS one (tweaked) and sold the HT.
4. R2-D2 - A very good rendition of the astromech. I picked up a second one. I also have HT's deluxe, which is amazing but the SS versions will do in a pinch.

I know I'm missing some others but that's one heck of a list(s) so far.

Which newer body and head sculpt did you get for Commander Praji?

Which newer body and head sculpt did you get for Commander Praji?
For the body, I originally picked up a DiD body but still haven't gotten around to replacing the stock one.

As for the head sculpt, I can't recall the exact sculpt but it also was from DiD. It had a great "character" look to it and would fit in as an Imperial officer type.

What is "DiD"? So the DiD sculpt that you are using is just a general officer look and not an actual Praji replacement?
Thanks for the info

Back