Thoughts on older Sideshow figures?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fantasticfrog

Super Freak
Reaction score
So I’m bored with hot toys and I’m thinking about going back for some older sideshow figures that I don’t think hot toys is making any time soon. I’m thinking of
X wing luke
The cantina band
Greedo
The tantive and endor rebel troopers
Hammerhead

anyone have these and have opinions?
I know the rebel troopers would need some updates and customization.
Appreciate any thoughts.

I have hammerhead and greedo both are great figures but pricey now.
I did had a endor trooper and replaced the body and head.
l‘ve body swapped the tantive troopers.
I’ve been buying them since 2005 so I’m a fan tbh.
the Outfits and alien sculpts hold up well tbh.

So I’m bored with hot toys and I’m thinking about going back for some older sideshow figures that I don’t think hot toys is making any time soon. I’m thinking of
X wing luke
The cantina band
Greedo
The tantive and endor rebel troopers
Hammerhead

anyone have these and have opinions?
I know the rebel troopers would need some updates and customization.
Appreciate any thoughts.

Off of your list I have X-wing Luke, four endor troopers, and Hammerhead.

Hammerhead is a great figure, one of Sideshow's best ever.

The Luke is nice overall but the sculpt is terrible. I switched to a HT head and love having the figure.

The Endor troopers are kinda rough but the outfits are salvageable. Just don't expect tailoring that is up to today's standards. The bodies are terrible, I swapped them out. The sculpts are terrible too, the only one I left alone was the old guy that gets mistaken for Captain Rex. I replaced the other three I have with DID sculpts and DID bodies so it was fairly cheap and easy.

Agreed. Aliens and outfits are still fine, but the bodies were terrible and the human heads are painted laughably bad for many of the early sideshow figures. I sort of regret not getting the cantina figures but I didn't feel they were a huge upgrade over the Hasbro figures but still better.

For the money at that time they were fun to collect, some still hold up really well.

I own Two ROTJ Luke Custom one into Mando version and left one on Endor outfit on speeder bike wielding a light saber, Sideshow Scout Trooper and Z75 Speeder Bike.
Sideshow Deluxe R2D2.
Overall opinion of SS figures it kinda flimsy but i do like it and can easily fit into my collections.

Wow those cantina figures are pricey!! I might grab them down the road because hot toys will never make them. I may just grab the Luke for now and keep the helmet on. Then grab the others little by little. Funny, I could have gotten all of these years ago for almost nothing. Funny how time and perspective change things.

I think hot toys may do the cantina figures but I wouldn't pay 250 each for all 6. They did show up in book of boba fett.

Wow those cantina figures are pricey!! I might grab them down the road because hot toys will never make them. I may just grab the Luke for now and keep the helmet on. Then grab the others little by little. Funny, I could have gotten all of these years ago for almost nothing. Funny how time and perspective change things.

People have realized that the more obscure stuff that Sideshow made is probably never getting made again so the prices are pretty high for those figures now. I have a good number of them but there are still some I wish I bought years ago like Greedo.

I might suggest looking at the Hasbro Cantina Band. I'm sure the Sideshow figures are better but cost a lot more. The Hasbro figures aren't perfect by any means but I got the whole set for less than half price of one of the Sideshow guys. They do seem a bit oversized. I kinda want to get them out now, I boxed them back up when I started running out of space.

I have some of them. They are all quite expensive now. Is it worth it? Depends. Body quality is poor, but besides that, they are holding up fine. Also, the chance of reissue or new release is slim to none.

IMG_6765(Edited).jpg

I pretty much echo everyone else's comments.

Luke X-Wing is a great figure. Sculpt looks fine with the helmet on.

Endor Soldiers and Fleet Troopers outfits are fine, but bodies and sculpts are s****.

The AT-AT Driver, TIE Pilot are also very nice.

Not sure if HT will ever do the bounty hunters from ESB, but they are all solid figures.

I sold the Rebel Trooper and Captain Anchilles but kept Greedo, Hammerhead, x-Wing Luke and the Cantina members.

Everything said above is spot on. Love X-Wing Luke with the helmet on and the Cantina members look great. Greedo could use a better body and Hammerhead rocks.
All are worth having in your collection but the prices are high.

If there are any OT folks out there that don't have the Jabba setup I definitely recommend getting it. There are still a good number of companion figures that are relatively easy to get too. I remember people holding out for a HT version that I highly doubt ever happens. I wonder if Sideshow will ever retire it?

I had near all of the Sideshow star wars releases.
It was my first dive into 1/6th back in 2005.
1 of my mates got the SSC Darth Maul,and I was hooked ever since.
I have since sold all mine off once HT got the license.
Their aliens were pretty top notch.
They also did obscure characters and one's that HT will never do,so props to SSC for that.
As others have mentioned,Hammerhead,Greece,Bib,Gammy Guard and my all time fav,AOTC Kenobi are among SSC best releases.

Crazy how pricey they are now considering how much they were back in the day.

I remember how getting an exclusive back then was being up early in the AM in OZ,and being online exactly on time to nab it before they quickly sold through.
Fun times!!

I was about to pull the trigger on x wing Luke and wife called to say the washing machine finally died. I guess that ends my sideshow figure quest for a while.

thanks for all of the advice. I’m definitely going to Buy most of them once I find a decent price. Thanks to all of the enablers for the advice. I was hoping everyone would say save your money because they aren’t worth it, lol.

I was about to pull the trigger on x wing Luke and wife called to say the washing machine finally died. I guess that ends my sideshow figure quest for a while.

thanks for all of the advice. I’m definitely going to Buy most of them once I find a decent price. Thanks to all of the enablers for the advice. I was hoping everyone would say save your money because they aren’t worth it, lol.

Well it was a fun exercise anyway. With the Hot Toys drought and BOBF killing all Star Wars momentum there hasn't been much to talk about lately.

I have a ton of Sideshow stuff that I really enjoy. People have been saying it for years, but it would be awesome if they started making aliens and robots again. Now would be a great time for it because HT doesn't seem to be interested in making figures from the OT any longer.

It really would be easy money for sideshow. Pop a few out a year and print money. Funny how a lot of those figures were panned back when released. Now, they go for way more than they should.

Back