This changes everything

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As cool as this is I've always liked the idea of owning work made by hand. This in a way takes the passion out of it for me.
If it ever gets to the point where I could get any figure I wanted made in a machine like this for a great price I think it would take a lot of the fun out of it.
For now though , that price is very high and I'd imagine it will be that way for a while.

Changes everything? If I want a 1/6 clone of myself I'll take a whole bunch of reference pics and get a talented sculptor to do it. It'll cost a lot less than $1780 and a trip to Tokyo :wink1:

Pretty cool, but the finishing on them looks kind of rough. That being said, if I was rich, I'd totally do it.

"Constant stream of air shoots out of this thingy. Possibly painful if you point it at your eye or other private parts."

Well that's good to know. Next time I'm tempted to blast a jet of compressed air into my gonads I'll think twice.

I never liked 3D printed heads, they always tend to look rough and pix-elated. There is a company in the US who does this, but at a lower quality if I remember correctly, but still, some look 'shopped to me too.

I think that 3-D printers will revolutionize things, and have thought this for some time. But they haven't done it yet.

I agree. I've seen 3d printed stuff that looks great, others, not so great like these heads, but it will one day replace sculptors no doubt, OR maybe all sculptors go digital with z-brush and such, which personally I don't like, I like the old school way, working with the clay with the hands.

Changes everything? If I want a 1/6 clone of myself I'll take a whole bunch of reference pics and get a talented sculptor to do it. It'll cost a lot less than $1780 and a trip to Tokyo :wink1:

Yeah, but it still wouldn't be screen accurate. :monkey1

As a longtime traditional sculptor myself, I'll respectfully say that not ALL sculptors will go completely digital. It's a great tool, but I think there will always be a desire for handcrafted work. Otherwise, I think it would be a sad state of affairs. Interestingly, as killer as some digital stuff I've seen is (and there are phenominal capabilities, indeed), the BEST likenesses I've seen have been hand-sculpted. That said, as with any medium, it's all left to the skill of the artist using it.
Cheers!

I agree. I've seen 3d printed stuff that looks great, others, not so great like these heads, but it will one day replace sculptors no doubt, OR maybe all sculptors go digital with z-brush and such, which personally I don't like, I like the old school way, working with the clay with the hands.

Indd really accurate, but still prefer the hand made work of an artist tbh. Also gives you more satisfaction imo as a sculptor.

If applied to the right job.. it would be worth every penny. I would make a full size version of Angelina Jolie and have at it.. I am going call her and ask if she will cooperate.

If applied to the right job.. it would be worth every penny. I would make a full size version of Angelina Jolie and have at it.. I am going call her and ask if she will cooperate.

Hi Ange, Duke here. Mind helping me out with a little head?

...hello?

The fact that this technology exists doesn't surprise me, but it does indicate two things; 1) that people are willing to do anything just to mimic what sculptors do, and 2) that they'll never know the creativity it takes to sculpt something themselves.

Back