Thinkway Toy Story Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are really making a big deal out of it. I paid the fifty bucks for each toy, too, and it really doesn't bother me; their voices sound the SAME. Tom would have to fly to wherever it is that Thinkway holds their offices in just to record phrases? That's like your family wanting you to fly across the country just to have dinner, and it's not the holidays. Seriously guys, just appreciate these awesome toys for the price they were given.

In the words of Mr. Potatohead, "fifty bucks ain't bad."

If these toys were worth $100+ then we could all complain that Woody's mouth is open and that Jessie's body is too wide or how annoying it is that Buzz's head moves.

Now lets be grateful that we only had to wait 15 years to get these beautiful toys. Especially for us who were only 3 when the first movie came out.

In the words of Mr. Potatohead, "fifty bucks ain't bad."
That's out of context. He's saying $50 is pretty good because it's a lot of money, not because it's cheap.

And I like that their faces aren't posed like the still versions of them in the films. Woody's face looks kinda retarded when he's frozen IMO. I mean it's a very blatant wide-eyed stare. I like these toys and I don't mind that Jessie's not as skinny as she's supposed to be.

BUT. The voices are my one complaint. Woody doesn't sound much like Tom Hanks at all. So much so that I never pull his string, he might as well not have the voice box. The only time I get him started is when I answer the phone to a telemarketer and don't want to talk to them so he does instead. :)

Sure, $50 doesn't seem so bad for such nice toys. But $50 for Woody and $50 for Buzz and $50 for Jessie and $50 for Bullseye really adds up and that's just the basic main characters (well, Bullseye is kinda a main one). $50 is, actually, a lot of money to pay for a toy. Just ask your Dad whether or not that Buzz Lightyear is worth $50, I bet he'd smack you upside the head for being an immature dingus wasting that kind of money on a toy. I know my Dad would. It's only in our little world of decadence (we all celebrate it, admit it) that $50 seems nothing for a toy.

All that being said....I still say Kelsey would be awesome to voice Prospector. :)

Tom would have to fly to wherever it is that Thinkway holds their offices in just to record phrases? That's like your family wanting you to fly across the country just to have dinner, and it's not the holidays.

No, voice actors record at other studios for scheduling purposes all the time. he can "phone it in" so to speak. I know they wouldn't actually use a phone, but he could just step into any recording studio (if he doesnt have a goode enough mic already) nearest him and have the audio sent to Thinkway. Done and done. the qualty doesnt even have to be amazing, considering the speakers on these toys.

Woody doesn't sound much like Tom Hanks at all.

I disagree with that - Jim Hanks is a suitable replacement for Tom, since they sound pretty similar. The only voice I have any minimal problem with is Jessie, and it confuses me to learn that she's voiced by Joan Cusack... she sounds so different.

Now lets be grateful that we only had to wait 15 years to get these beautiful toys.

I understand what you're saying, these really ARE beautiful toys, and it's unlikely that we'll ever see Toy Story toys of this quality again in the future. It's just a fan's job to nit-pick the tiny inaccuracies :slap

Does anyone know if Andrew Stanton voiced Zurg in the TS3 video game? Im not really sure.

I agree that Kelsey wasn't in the TS3 game, but with Zurg it's harder to decide - a lot of the time it IS Andrew Stanton, but the voice editing (the deep, robotic tone added to his voice) is always different, making it hard to tell.

Agreed, Jim Hanks, while not as good as Tom obviously does a fine job here. especially when you factor in distortion from such a small speaker, it hides some of the flaws in his impersonation.

My theory on Jessie sounding different has been that we're just not used to hearing this side of her. she's being more nice and proper, not as eccentric.

Watching the Toy Story promo spots on ABC with Jim Hanks voicing Woody is just awful. It's nice that they went so far to get a Hanks but Tom just has this distinct voice that nobody else can do.

No, voice actors record at other studios for scheduling purposes all the time. he can "phone it in" so to speak. I know they wouldn't actually use a phone, but he could just step into any recording studio (if he doesnt have a goode enough mic already) nearest him and have the audio sent to Thinkway. Done and done. the qualty doesnt even have to be amazing, considering the speakers on these toys.

You just love making things up, huh?

Why would I need to make that up? if I'm wrong, fine. but that's what I read.

Watching the Toy Story promo spots on ABC with Jim Hanks voicing Woody is just awful.

I think that perhaps Jim's voice has become more "Tom Hanks"-y over the past few years. Looking back at things like Toy Story Treats (the ABC shorts) and the Toy Story Racer game, he certainly wasn't the best replacement for Tom, but he seems to sound a lot more like Tom nowadays (probably due to age). Just play the Toy Story 3 video game and listen to TSC Woody and his voice has improved since the early days of Toy Story.

:lecture Seriously, if you haven't played the TS3 game yet I suggest you do so - it's a fan's dream. You even get to play the Attack on Zurg video game from TS2!

Amazon! Free shipping (Toys r us you'd have to spend 100 bucks to get free shipping where amazon is only 25) and most people that got it there said there's had little to no flaws!

I think that perhaps Jim's voice has become more "Tom Hanks"-y over the past few years. Looking back at things like Toy Story Treats (the ABC shorts) and the Toy Story Racer game, he certainly wasn't the best replacement for Tom, but he seems to sound a lot more like Tom nowadays (probably due to age). Just play the Toy Story 3 video game and listen to TSC Woody and his voice has improved since the early days of Toy Story.

:lecture Seriously, if you haven't played the TS3 game yet I suggest you do so - it's a fan's dream. You even get to play the Attack on Zurg video game from TS2!

You can also hear him in these ads.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbbiVtx_qBE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epbdlqt7J84&hd=1

You just love making things up, huh?
Wow, that was really rude of you to post.

And he wasn't making that up. That's how a lot of vocal work is done. Technology in modern times can do a whole lot more than let you record something in New York that ends up in LA within a couple of hours or less.

I went to Disneyland and bought Emperor Zurg
IMG_0288.jpg

And it only cost me $8.99!
IMG_0286.jpg

just kidding.

On the side of the box it reads:

"I Shall destroy your
puny little planet
and nobody can
stop me! Not even
Buzz Lightyear
Ha, ha, ha, ha, haaa!"

"Now with astonishing Zurg O Vision!"

"Now with astonishing Zurg O Vision!"

What an INCREDIBLE revelation!

Let's hope Thinkway release Zurg for $8.99 :lol

Probably the best part of the Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast... except from perhaps the awesome Zurg animatronics. Liking the Al reference on the receit - "I'll save you bucks, bucks, bucks!"

I can definitely see them going with that packaging over the original design. the original seemed too...unfinished. They probably knew it wouldn't get much, if any screen time when they designed the first one. and I can't see them ever going with red plastic. it obscures the Toy. Unless maybe the red clear film came inside the box, like the wings did with Buzz's box.

And we should definitely hold Thinkway to that $8.99 price tag. I swear if it's even $9.00, heads will roll. haha

Some posts deleted.
May I just remind peeps not to insult others for having a differing opinion.
We are all collectors here and can have discussions / conversations without the need for being aggressive.
Play nice. :grouphug

Congrats SRS, great purchases :rock :duff
x :peace

Then I will have every TSC except Potato Head (Who I am not getting because Im waiting for the Hasbro one)

I partially agree with that - I favoured the original Potato Head over the TSC one, since it's more realistic...

...but the new hasbro potato head? I've heard about this several times now, without solid evidence that hasbro confirmed it. I highly doubt that Hasbro will reengineer the classic Potato Head purely because of a movie (and mostly for Pixar's gain). They probably won't go ahead with it, since anything more accurate than the TSC or original Potato Heads would have separated eyes, eyebrows and shoes, which likely won't pass safety tests. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but if anyone has some proof that Hasbro confirmed this, I'll be settled. At the moment it passes me by as some kind of wild fan-created rumour.

I can definitely see them going with that packaging over the original design. the original seemed too...unfinished. They probably knew it wouldn't get much, if any screen time when they designed the first one.

True, the box in the film is very simple, and I find the ride version more attractive. They should probably stick with the ride one, and improve the text font on the front of the box (not evil enough!), and maybe include that message in a back-of-box bio like Buzz's one.
To be honest, they may well go with the movie version anyway, since it's from Pixar's digital data (obviously they'll make many improvements though).

Last edited:
...but the new hasbro potato head? I've heard about this several times now, without solid evidence that hasbro confirmed it. I highly doubt that Hasbro will reengineer the classic Potato Head purely because of a movie (and mostly for Pixar's gain). They probably won't go ahead with it, since anything more accurate than the TSC or original Potato Heads would have separated eyes, eyebrows and shoes, which likely won't pass safety tests. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong, but if anyone has some proof that Hasbro confirmed this, I'll be settled. At the moment it passes me by as some kind of wild fan-created rumour.

Whether it turns out to release remains to be seen, there have been no pics of it yet, but the description Was on their site, I saw that myself. Not sure if its still there, can't be bothered to check. but its not just some fan crated rumor. I don't think anyone expects them to separate the eyes and brows. What IS expected is that he won't have visible legs anymore, and he'll trade in his electronics for his butt compartment back. this is all speculation of course. all we really know was the MSRB and that it was planned for the fall.

Back