Thinkway Toy Story Collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but wouldn't the ears be just as unsafe then? They seem about the same size...

Hi folks,

I'm new here and thought I'd make my first official post with a bit of inside info...

The reason there are two holes in Woody and Jessie's hats are for safety. If a child puts it against their mouth, they can't create a suction and suffocate.

Although the toys are for collectors, they are also for little kids.

Well, let me remind you that this is the Toy Story Collection we're talking about. This was made to cater to the fans' requests, right down to the box and certificate of authenticity (something I'm sure small children really wouldn't care about, and probably just throw away the packaging). There were two other Woody and Buzz toys made, but in generic boxes, less features, and less details. Those I wouldn't mind having holes in.

Well, let me remind you that this is the Toy Story Collection we're talking about. This was made to cater to the fans' requests, right down to the box and certificate of authenticity (something I'm sure small children really wouldn't care about, and probably just throw away the packaging). There were two other Woody and Buzz toys made, but in generic boxes, less features, and less details. Those I wouldn't mind having holes in.

I understand this comment. But you do know that you will never, or close to, get a 100% screen accurate figure or prop of most things collectors buy. And holes in a hat, small one you don't really see unless looking for them, that have been design for safety reasons. I don't think its a huge deal... Parents would buy these for their children. And you not understanding that, or not making a considerate concession for it... Really reveals you immaturity as a collector and person.

It's a good thing to look pass things that annoy you for the great good!
633843813416251630-ForTheGreaterGood.jpg

If it's in mass market, it's for kids as well as collectors. Otherwise, it would be sold as an exclusive through someplace like Sideshow and cost a lot more. We collectors are lucky Thinkway caters to both.

but wouldn't the ears be just as unsafe then? They seem about the same size...

The ears would have enough width to not go through the choke tube that it would be tested on. If you look really closely, the ears are larger than each eye would be individually.

I worked for Disney for 14 years designing product so I know the business. Safety is always a big deal.

Safety also explains why Mr Potato Head's eyes are attached as one part. If they weren't, it would be a choking hazard.

Cheers

Just curious , but what products have you designed for Disney in your whole 14 years of career with them ?

Just curious , but what products have you designed for Disney in your whole 14 years of career with them ?

I actually worked with Thinkway back in 1995 on the original Toy Story line through my position as Creative Director for Disney Canada. Other than that, I designed and approved product for the Canadian market. Some of it was released in the US as well.

I actually worked with Thinkway back in 1995 on the original Toy Story line through my position as Creative Director for Disney Canada. Other than that, I designed and approved product for the Canadian market. Some of it was released in the US as well.

That's awesome ! Being able to design toys , a dream job for many people .

Now just wondering , I know that many people in this forum and others too , when they bought/received their toys , from this Toy Story Collection Series , their toys have many malfunctions , and for mine , they are bad painting and scratches , peeling stickers etc .

What would Thinkway do about complaints like this ? Seeing that scratches aren't really a big deal to kids , but to collectors , they do really affect the quality of the toy .

Thinkway is great with their customer service. I think it would really be handled on a case by case basis. If the toy was bought at retail, I would suggest returning it there and getting a replacement. If it was purchased online, it's probably best to contact the company you purchased it from. Regardless, emailing Thinkway directly might get you satisfaction. Depends on how serious the scratches are. Toy malfunctions are a different matter. If the toy doesn't work, you should be able to get it handled. Good luck.

Judging from the looks of the scratches , and seeing the comments of the other members in this forum , what I infer is that all those scratches , bad painting etc , were most probably made during factory production .

Is there any quality control over this toys during production ?
Or do the toy makers simply just do what they were assigned to do , but don't really care about the conditioning of the toy .

Take it easy, Grange Wallis, that's not what I meant. The whole mass-market topic makes sense, I thought that it was only the basic figures that saw a wider release.

Last edited:
so you'd rather have more accurate toys, at the expense of kids possibly suffocating? wow.

What I was getting at was that they should have mail-in replacements.

Anyways, I'm sorry it's a little late, but I can honestly say Mr. Potato Head will NOT be getting seperated eyes. See, in the movie, Mr. Potato Head's appearance was based off of his 70's and 80's toy incarnations (most-likely for a broader appeal). The seperate eyes and legs were from the 70's version, which the eyes were changed due to health concerns (as you can see, the seperate shoes have been addressed, though). Since Mr. Potato Head is primarily a young childrens' toy, I don't think they'd change this. Take note that they also merged the eyes for the 50th Anniversary Mr. Potato Head, so they're serious about this being a safety issue. Anyways, at least the thought was there by giving him two eye sockets. Now, as long as they have the trap door in the back, I'll be happy.

My beef with the choking hazard excuse: aren't all small objects choking hazards? Lets let parents do their job and not the toy companies. I'm not saying we should sell toys with lead paint or anything, but but if your kid is young enough to stick random things in their mouths then they aren't mature enough to have this toy in the first place. ages 3 and up, put it on the box. if kids still choke its the parents fault.

but yeah, I'm not going to complain too much about this, as mentioned its still obvious they want to make up for it by giving him separate sockets. they had no other reason to other than customizers/obsessed fans from what I can tell. Its them saying "sorry guys, we had to but we still care."

maybe not enough to sell new eyes just for us, but if you care enough about separated eyes, chances are you know where to go to get some made, or make them yourself. the market would be too small I think to risk taking a loss for something like this.

Sorry, I probably should've been more specific in my last post; I'm fine with the Mr. Potato Head eyes, because they've done all they could, but it would be cool if you could trade trade in the Woody hat for a pre-drilled one. I mean, don't get me wrong, ThinkWay still creates an amazing product, and above all, I'm thankful for that.

My beef with the choking hazard excuse: aren't all small objects choking hazards? Lets let parents do their job and not the toy companies. I'm not saying we should sell toys with lead paint or anything, but but if your kid is young enough to stick random things in their mouths then they aren't mature enough to have this toy in the first place. ages 3 and up, put it on the box. if kids still choke its the parents fault.

but yeah, I'm not going to complain too much about this, as mentioned its still obvious they want to make up for it by giving him separate sockets. they had no other reason to other than customizers/obsessed fans from what I can tell. Its them saying "sorry guys, we had to but we still care."

WOW! That is a very interesting viewpoint you have.
I don't know if you have children but if you don't, chances are, your view will change when the time comes. From my own toy experience, these safety features are followed with the idea that older kids may own the toy but they also have younger siblings in the house. Just like Andy in Toy Story 1.

what i was talking about earlier was keep the already made collection series with the interactivity and saftey issues, and then make a collectors only series with accurate facial expressions without the saftey things, also i think that woodys fingers are joint because of the possiblity of something popping out.

Sorry if I may come off as a little harsh, but one of my first toys was a pull-string Woody, and that thing survived childhood without any incidents. Sure, it ain't the prettiest sight to look at, but it held up.

Anyways, the hands were not changed for safety, that's just the pose that PIXAR put the model in.

Back