Thinking of selling my collection

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saunders45

Freaked Out
Reaction score
IDK exactly why, but I've really been thinking about dumping my collection lately. Has anyone ever thought about it before? The crazy price increased over the past 2 years, realization that I'll never be able to get all the figs I really want, plus just life changes in general, have kind of put a damper on my collecting desires. I've kicked around selling all of it, or just keeping a couple for myself and a couple for my boy's Avenger's themed bedroom.

I put together a list, and it's just alot of stuff. Most have been opened/displayed in glass, but are in great condition.

HT DX07 (Bespin Luke)
Sideshow Exclusive ESB Vader Deluxe
Sideshow ANH Vader
Sideshow Stormtrooper
Sideshow Stormtrooper
Sideshow Luke and Han Stormtrooper
Sideshow Princess Leia
Sideshow Luke Tatooine (Farmboy Exclusive)
Sideshow Han Smuggler
Sideshow Tusken Raider
Sideshow Sandtrooper Deluxe
Sideshow Obi Wan (Old Ben)
Sideshow Snowtrooper (Exclusive)
Sideshow Boba Fett
Sideshow Luke Hoth (Exclusive)
Sidesdhow Han Hoth (Brown Exclusive)
Sideshow Yoda (Jedi Mentor)
Sideshow/HT Custom Luke Jedi
Hot Toys Batman Armory (MMS234)
Hot Toys 1966 Batman & Robin
Hot Toys Captain America (Golden Age)
Hot Toys Hulk (From Banner Set)
Hot Toys Thor (DW full armor)
Hot Toys Iron Man Mark VII (Avengers)

IDK... if I were to put this up for sale in the marketplace, would anyone be interested in it?

IDK exactly why, but I've really been thinking about dumping my collection lately. Has anyone ever thought about it before? The crazy price increased over the past 2 years, realization that I'll never be able to get all the figs I really want, plus just life changes in general, have kind of put a damper on my collecting desires. I've kicked around selling all of it, or just keeping a couple for myself and a couple for my boy's Avenger's themed bedroom.

I put together a list, and it's just alot of stuff. Most have been opened/displayed in glass, but are in great condition.

HT DX07 (Bespin Luke)
Sideshow ANH Vader
Sideshow Stormtrooper
Sideshow Stormtrooper
Sideshow Princess Leia
Sideshow Han Smuggler
Sideshow Tusken Raider
Sideshow Boba Fett

IDK... if I were to put this up for sale in the marketplace, would anyone be interested in it?

It's happened to most of us from time to time. I haven't ordered anything from Sideshow lately as the Canadian dollar would make each PF cost over $700 to buy. Back when our dollar was even and PFs cost $400 shipped to Canada I had no issues. But when you look at such high ES that are moving closer to $1000 each, one has to draw the line and say "put this in retirement or save it. Theyre just toys." That being said, I love many of the pieces that are out for PO right now but they're just too pricey for me to pull the trigger. I have sold numerous pieces in the past though and felt fine about letting them go.

With new stuff constantly flooding in (eg. Hot Toys AoU) it's easy to feel like you'll never have a complete collection. I can still hang with 1/6th scale but the PFs are getting way out of line in terms of price. That being said, if you really want something bad enough then you'll find a way to make it work financially. Otherwise, put your collection up on the market. I can guarantee that the interest will be there.

Its a big decision, really think on it. If you do decide to list them, im interested in that iron man mark vii

I'd hold off on selling the stormies until the HT version sells out.

Many of the others you'd be struggling to make it worth the effort I think.

Good luck with the sell-off though, if you're not enjoying the figures like you used to then you might as well free up some room and pocket some spending money to throw at something else.

With a lot of that stuff still being available, he's gonna take a bad hit on it. I'd hang on to most of it for awhile.

I go through times when I want to just sell almost everything, but since that's going to take me quite awhile, I'm just going to get rid of older things that I definitely want to get rid of just in case I change my mind on other things later.

Also, just because you can't afford as much as you used to, doesn't mean you have to get rid of what you have, unless the thrill is just in the buying.

Yeh, I tend to keep all my figures unless they turned out to be impulse buys, which hasn't happened in a long time. Freshening up how they're displayed in your place can bring back the fun in a tired collection I find.

Many of the others you'd be struggling to make it worth the effort I think.

Good luck with the sell-off though, if you're not enjoying the figures like you used to then you might as well free up some room and pocket some spending money to throw at something else.

With a lot of that stuff still being available, he's gonna take a bad hit on it. I'd hang on to most of it for awhile.

I go through times when I want to just sell almost everything, but since that's going to take me quite awhile, I'm just going to get rid of older things that I definitely want to get rid of just in case I change my mind on other things later.

Also, just because you can't afford as much as you used to, doesn't mean you have to get rid of what you have, unless the thrill is just in the buying.

:exactly: it is a good chance you'll lose your initial invest so be prepared to take a loss. Folks in market place looking for rock bottom deals often well below retail in most cases. I'd try selling on eBay if that's what you decide.

HT DX07 (Bespin Luke)
Sideshow ANH Vader
Sideshow Stormtrooper
Sideshow Stormtrooper
Sideshow Princess Leia
Sideshow Han Smuggler
Sideshow Tusken Raider
Sideshow Boba Fett

You will get buyers. I sold a bunch of mine on eBay for fair prices. I know how you feel. I started to realize I was going to far down the rabbit hole. More figures means more room to make which means more shelves to buy (and figure prices keeping going up). I am a huge fan of minimalism, so that didn't make it any easier to continue to purchase. I sold all my 1/6 figs, pulled the trigger on the 1/4 scale Mark 43. Will keep it to that. I live vicariously through the collectors on this site and enjoy their displays, but it is nice to walk through my house and not have the clutter, the boxes and the frustration from keeping up with Hot Toys. Hope this helps!

I'd never sell off my entire collection but I've sold of many pieces over the years for various reasons (lost interest in item, needed money to pay off other stuff, display space, the item was going for so much on the secondary market I'd rather have the money...).

I've really been unloading stuff over the last few months. As I've gotten into my 40s I've really started making a commitment to a healthier lifestyle, and eating healthy isn't cheap. Plus I had a bunch of stuff sitting in boxes in my basement because I didn't have the room to display it. What's the point? The continued rising cost of statues has really made me regroup and reconsider the focus of my collection moving forward. I'm mostly focusing on Marvel comics Thor stuff now.

I'd never sell off my entire collection but I've sold of many pieces over the years for various reasons (lost interest in item, needed money to pay off other stuff, display space, the item was going for so much on the secondary market I'd rather have the money...).

I've really been unloading stuff over the last few months. As I've gotten into my 40s I've really started making a commitment to a healthier lifestyle, and eating healthy isn't cheap. Plus I had a bunch of stuff sitting in boxes in my basement because I didn't have the room to display it. What's the point? The continued rising cost of statues has really made me regroup and reconsider the focus of my collection moving forward. I'm mostly focusing on Marvel comics Thor stuff now.

This is so me. I think eventually with me it might come down to my LotR collection and that's is. I jumped in full force getting everything I wanted and I was all over the place. Now I need to rein it in.

I hear you on eating healthy. Garbage is cheap.

This is so me. I think eventually with me it might come down to my LotR collection and that's is. I jumped in full force getting everything I wanted and I was all over the place. Now I need to rein it in.

I hear you on eating healthy. Garbage is cheap.

My biggest problem was I like too many things. Star Wars, Marvel, Harry Potter, LOTR, etc., etc. My collection room really got out of control over the last few years with stuff all over the floor, and pieces being randomly crowded onto shelves in an undisplayable manner. I've put a lot of effort into straightening it out over the last couple of months but it's still in a state in which I'd be embarrassed to post pics of it.

You will get buyers. I sold a bunch of mine on eBay for fair prices. I know how you feel. I started to realize I was going to far down the rabbit hole. More figures means more room to make which means more shelves to buy (and figure prices keeping going up). I am a huge fan of minimalism, so that didn't make it any easier to continue to purchase. I sold all my 1/6 figs, pulled the trigger on the 1/4 scale Mark 43. Will keep it to that. I live vicariously through the collectors on this site and enjoy their displays, but it is nice to walk through my house and not have the clutter, the boxes and the frustration from keeping up with Hot Toys. Hope this helps!

Yeah, honestly, that's kinda what I'm leaning towards. I've still got stuff that's in boxes (not listed here) that I'd like to dig out as well. Hell, I still have some 12" GIJoe's from the early 90's in the original packaging... I think it's mostly a combo of the space/investment, and a little bit of moving on. I bought everyone straight from SS or other retails at MSRP, so I'm not really worried about taking a bath if I sell. Thanks for the discussion everyone!

Agree on all of this. :exactly:

I think eventually with me it might come down to my LotR collection and that's is.

Other than 2 (3 at most) Marvel items over the next year or two, I'm focused mainly on ME/LOTR now and all Weta pieces at that. There might be one or two others out there that I may have an interest in but that's about it.

Depending on price, I would be interested in the Snowtrooper and Yoda, but I say keep your collection though, you could end up regretting it. They are nice pieces you have and if you do want to sell, I say keep them posed for a month or so, if you still have the urge to sell, go for it.

Thanks for sharing. I've just started collecting 1/6 scale so I'm still in the beginning stages of wanting to build a collection. This kind of post is a reality check. I'm going to sell off some old toys to make room and have spending money to buy future 1/6 scales SW HTs.

Back